Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sean123

Thinking about going on Accutane

Hey guys im thinking about going on accutane. But I suffer from dry skin, and i suffer from very mild dandruff that i can control with some shampoo. But if i start Accutane will my dandruff get out of hand, and impossible to cover up?

Anyone? Im getting my blood tests tommorow so i want to know what i will be dealing with in the coming weeks. Also i have moderate acne, should i ask for a smaller dosage like 40 a day to lower the dry effect? I kind of need answers fast please.

hey sean123, so i'm going on accutane in a few days as well. i've read a lot about accutane, so here is the info i gathered:

yes your skin/scalp will probably get a lot more dry (these are the side effects that only a small number of people dont get). it might help to get a humidifier to use while on your course (i'm starting to get dry skin/dandruff from the winter air and a humidifier has helped a lot). there are also a lot of posts about how to combat these problems and what the best products to use are.

it should have the same effects on your back/neck, your face/back/chest are where your oil glands are. accutane works by reducing the size of the oil glands.

yeah it might be a good idea to start off with a lower dose in case you can't handle the side effects and that way you won't "shock" your body into the drug. i hear 20mg is pretty much the standard for a lower dose, but it really depends on how much you weigh.

i hope that helps!

Yea im really skinyn for my height, so i think 20 would be the best choice for me since i dont have face acne that bad.

I really dont know what to do. Im kind of scared to start accutane. Im afraid of the side affects and the possibility it wont even work because it seems like so manyt people here havent benefited from it.

sure thres people here who haven't benefited from tane, but think of all the millions who have used it and its worked miracles for. the reason you only get horror stories here is because the people its cleared up have gone off and enjoyed their lives lol

dont let it scare you, especially if your doing a lose dose course the side effects will be minimal

Yes, Accutane will clear your back/body acne too. Also, yes, Accutane dries everything out so you need to lube up what's dry. Wash your hair less and baby it (condition it more). It can get like straw if you don't condition it good. I'm ending Tane this month and the results are amazing. I love it. Smooth clear skin. But yes, my scalp started to itch and get really dry about 2 months ago. I conditioned/masked my hair a lot which helped. Also, take Biotin for hair and calcium for your bones. Tane plays with the bones a bit during treatment (aches and you feel a bit more fragile).

Good luck.

What doseage were you taking? Because i am thinking of taking a small dosage in fear of stronger side effects. I really want to get rid of my acne but im just so nervous of getting dandruff again.

I'm on my 8th week and it's been great. However, I was the complete opposite. I was extremely oily and I knew it would take a lot to get me dry. I am just now seeing dryness on my face and arms and it's very mild on my face. I took zinc for about a month before I started accutane and I think that really helped as far as clearing my skin and not having an IB. I haven't had hardly any cysts on my back at all. I actually haven't had a single one in a few weeks. I did notice some scalp dryness about the 2nd week of taking sotret, but I cleared that up with head and shoulders conditioner (just let it sit on my scalp and hair for a couple of minutes before I washed it out) I take 40mg and 80mg alternating every other day. Good luck with everything.

I took accutane about 3 years ago. I had pretty bad acne on my face/neck/back/chest. My face was also very oily. I think I had one full year of clear skin then my back and chest starter breaking out a little. Its very mild but I still want to clear it up. I don't get acne on my face and neck anymore.

Hey there-

Dosing is usually .5 to 1mg per KG of weight. I'm 50kg's and was prescribed mostly 20mg months 2-3, 30mg 4-6 and the past 2 months 40mg. I have very sensitive skin though. Things to consider are your weight in KG's, severity of your acne, and skin sensitivity or ailments. If you have very sensitive and thin skin, I would definitely stay under 1mg per KG of weight. Normally, Derm's start you at the .5mg per KG of weight to start, and if you are doing well and no bad side effects, then they may bump it up a little month 2 or 3. Cummulative dose (total Accutane taken) is usually the factor of 120*weight in KG. This is the total amount of Accutane taken per the manufacturer to have the best chance of remission of acne. My cummulative is 6,000 mg's so at the end of my treatment that's the number I should try to hit.

I think you will do fine on Tane. Just start around the .5mg per KG of weight. If your skin is really sensitive/thin and your acne not too mild, then don't go too much higher than that. If your skin is more sturdy and acne more moderate-severe then you may wish to go closer to 1mg per KG. Just discuss your concerns and questions with your Derm. and you will get the results you want.

Good luck.

Yvette