Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
manutdfan

Newscientist Article

I totally think scientists are on the right track to accepting that acne is related to diet, but from my own personal experience, and I'm sure others, I don't think it's the "refinement" of food that's causing the acne, I think it's the food itself.

I used to think this was my problem, "refined," until I realized certain unrefined grains, like whole wheat still created havoc on my skin. And it wasn't the sugar, because I've recently found that eating a bag of sour patch kids does absolutely nothing to my now calm skin, which is calm only because I've given up two (and more) of the most common allergens - wheat and dairy.

I think they're getting there, which maybe will get the derms to start saying that yes, acne is related to diet - i know some recognize it, but not all do, not mine.

and i'm sure if they finally agree that it's diet, they'll come up with some pill to cover it all up, which i will happily say "no" to since I figured it all out without their help.

Insulin Resistance caused by western diets and no exersise is absolutely the cause of the vast majority of acne cases.. i've experimented myself and seen it. I've reasearched to a great degree and everything just adds up.

All these 'cures' all come down to insulin and the chain of events that occur with excess insulin in your blood.

Green tea inhibits the hormones that excess insulin help produce, as do omega 3 oils. omega oils are hailed as a "cure" by many.

Zinc also helps inhibit these hormones. Zinc is hailed as a "cure" by many

People bitch about chocolate and stuff "breaking them out" the vast majority of these things cause large insulin spikes.

Id also like to add that the vast majority of people who claim something they ate the day before "broke them out" are talking bullshit. it takes about 3 days for a comedone to form.

Look at Koreans, Japanese and Eskimos diets.. look at their acne rates. almost none. untill they move to western countrys and start eating white flour producs, wheat etc.

There is only one cure and that is to control your insulin levels thought diet and exersise.

I imagine you'd see good signs after a week of this however the real deal is when you live the healthier lifestyle.

When you exersise, you train your muscles to accept more glycogen into their cells, thus leaving less excess insulin in your blood thus less IGF-1 (google it) is produced and less oil.

Insulin Resistance caused by western diets and no exersise is absolutely the cause of the vast majority of acne cases.. i've experimented myself and seen it. I've reasearched to a great degree and everything just adds up.

All these 'cures' all come down to insulin and the chain of events that occur with excess insulin in your blood.

Green tea inhibits the hormones that excess insulin help produce, as do omega 3 oils. omega oils are hailed as a "cure" by many.

People bitch about chocolate and stuff "breaking them out" the vast majority of these things cause large insulin spikes.

Id also like to add that the vast majority of people who claim something they ate the day before "broke them out" are talking bullshit. it takes about 3 days for a comedone to form.

Look at Koreans, Japanese and Eskimos diets.. look at their acne rates. almost none. untill they move to western countrys and start eating white flour producs, wheat etc.

There is only one cure and that is to control your insulin levels thought diet and exersise.

I imagine you'd see good signs after a week of this however the real deal is when you live the healthier lifestyle.

When you exersise, you train your muscles to accept more glycogen into their cells, thus leaving less excess insulin in your blood thus less IGF-1 (google it) is produced and less oil.

anything with gluten, especially wheat, def screws me up. my face gets really red whenever i eat something that sky rockets my blood sugar levels. i'm kind of okay with rice as long as i dont eat too much of it at once and its with fat. cinnamon and beans also are great for regulating insulin levels.

i just started drinking green tea daily. im going to aim for 3 cups a day for a week and see how that effects my skin. i notice that beans are the only carby food that i can eat in decent or largish amounts without making my blood sugar go sky high. i think its in part to do with all the fiber, anti oxidants and protein in beans.

Isn't Caffiene (from green tea) bad for acne?

Also, I thought exersise (Weight Training not cardio) raised testosterone levels and testosterone was also a cause for acne...

Not true after all?

I was thinking of drinking green tea but I try to stay away from caffiene because i was always told it caused break outs.

Really dont know what to believe these days. For every written article you see about how something is good for you or can cure acne you can find an article that says it's not true.

trust me, i know all about insulin resistance, but this is highly debatable because insulin resistant diets cut out refined foods, mainly grains, leaving minimal whole grains, cutting out sugar, and pretty much all dairy, which means you're eating much less of the common food allergies (excluding sugar, but you are cutting out some fruits and there are people allergic to fruit), and the number one food pretty much removed is wheat!

i started out thinking i was insulin resistant, and im not saying it's not a possibility, but it's not mine, because i didn't get to 100% on an insulin resistant diet supplied by my naturopath at my request. i got to 100% by not eating foods i am intolerant to, even ones low on the glycemic index even ones suggested eating on the diet.

i can eat rice and sugar without a problem. it took me almost two years to figure it all out. my skin is now clear and ive had no new breakouts since ive stayed away from all the foods im intolerant to, all are which the most common allergens.

so keeping insulin levels level, yes is always good to do anyways, but regardless of opinion or fact or theory, i think everyone on this board should immediately give up all wheat and dairy which would both level their insulin, stop the overproduction of IGF-1, which is high in dairy, and keep them away from two of the most common allergens/intolerances.

No, insulin resistance is definitely not the cause of the majority of acne cases.

This study that you keep ignoring proves it: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Study-fin...ne-t176626.html

No, insulin resistance is definitely not the cause of the majority of acne cases.

This study that you keep ignoring proves it: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Study-fin...ne-t176626.html

That study does not prove it at all, but it does give evidence towards the idea that insulin is not the problem.

That study does not prove it at all, but it does give evidence towards the idea that insulin is not the problem.

Well yeah, if you put it that way, you can never truly prove it until you test every single person with acne in the entire world for their insulin levels...

So you could say it's very strong evidence and the best proof we have against the insulin resistance theory.

See, what's interesting is that the study NotADoctor posted is that the American Academy of Dermatology came to that conclusion, but honestly, I don't like how they ran the study...it's very misleading.

Now a few months earlier, this is what the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition published:

: Am J Clin Nutr. 2007 Jul;86(1):107-15. Links

A low-glycemic-load diet improves symptoms in acne vulgaris patients: a randomized controlled trial.

Smith RN, Mann NJ, Braue A, Mäkeläinen H, Varigos GA.

School of Applied Sciences, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia. [email protected]

BACKGROUND: Although the pathogenesis of acne is currently unknown, recent epidemiologic studies of non-Westernized populations suggest that dietary factors, including the glycemic load, may be involved.

OBJECTIVE: The objective was to determine whether a low-glycemic-load diet improves acne lesion counts in young males.

DESIGN: Forty-three male acne patients aged 15-25 y were recruited for a 12-wk, parallel design, dietary intervention incorporating investigator-blinded dermatology assessments. The experimental treatment was a low-glycemic-load diet composed of 25% energy from protein and 45% from low-glycemic-index carbohydrates. In contrast, the control situation emphasized carbohydrate-dense foods without reference to the glycemic index. Acne lesion counts and severity were assessed during monthly visits, and insulin sensitivity (using the homeostasis model assessment) was measured at baseline and 12 wk.

RESULTS: At 12 wk, mean (+/-SEM) total lesion counts had decreased more (P=0.03) in the low-glycemic-load group (-23.5 +/- 3.9) than in the control group (-12.0 +/- 3.5). The experimental diet also resulted in a greater reduction in weight (-2.9 +/- 0.8 compared with 0.5 +/- 0.3 kg; P<0.001) and body mass index (in kg/m(2); -0.92 +/- 0.25 compared with 0.01 +/- 0.11; P=0.001) and a greater improvement in insulin sensitivity (-0.22 +/- 0.12 compared with 0.47 +/- 0.31; P=0.026) than did the control diet.

CONCLUSION: The improvement in acne and insulin sensitivity after a low-glycemic-load diet suggests that nutrition-related lifestyle factors may play a role in the pathogenesis of acne. However, further studies are needed to isolate the independent effects of weight loss and dietary intervention and to further elucidate the underlying pathophysiologic mechanisms.

See, what's interesting is that the study NotADoctor posted is that the American Academy of Dermatology came to that conclusion, but honestly, I don't like how they ran the study...it's very misleading.

Now a few months earlier, this is what the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition published:

A low-glycemic-load diet improves symptoms in acne vulgaris patients: a randomized controlled trial.

Smith RN, Mann NJ, Braue A, Melnen H, Varigos GA.

School of Applied Sciences, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia. [email protected]

BACKGROUND: Although the pathogenesis of acne is currently unknown, recent epidemiologic studies of non-Westernized populations suggest that dietary factors, including the glycemic load, may be involved.

OBJECTIVE: The objective was to determine whether a low-glycemic-load diet improves acne lesion counts in young males.

DESIGN: Forty-three male acne patients aged 15-25 y were recruited for a 12-wk, parallel design, dietary intervention incorporating investigator-blinded dermatology assessments. The experimental treatment was a low-glycemic-load diet composed of 25% energy from protein and 45% from low-glycemic-index carbohydrates. In contrast, the control situation emphasized carbohydrate-dense foods without reference to the glycemic index. Acne lesion counts and severity were assessed during monthly visits, and insulin sensitivity (using the homeostasis model assessment) was measured at baseline and 12 wk.

RESULTS: At 12 wk, mean (+/-SEM) total lesion counts had decreased more (P=0.03) in the low-glycemic-load group (-23.5 +/- 3.9) than in the control group (-12.0 +/- 3.5). The experimental diet also resulted in a greater reduction in weight (-2.9 +/- 0.8 compared with 0.5 +/- 0.3 kg; P<0.001) and body mass index (in kg/m(2); -0.92 +/- 0.25 compared with 0.01 +/- 0.11; P=0.001) and a greater improvement in insulin sensitivity (-0.22 +/- 0.12 compared with 0.47 +/- 0.31; P=0.026) than did the control diet.

CONCLUSION: The improvement in acne and insulin sensitivity after a low-glycemic-load diet suggests that nutrition-related lifestyle factors may play a role in the pathogenesis of acne. However, further studies are needed to isolate the independent effects of weight loss and dietary intervention and to further elucidate the underlying pathophysiologic mechanisms.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?D...Pubmed_RVDocSum

The above study has been going on for at least 2 years now. You can read earlier publications below:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=77931

(unfortunately, Pubmed has since deleted these articles)

The problem with these kind of studies is that they in no way show that insulin resistance is the root cause of acne. In fact, this study combined with the earlier one actually provide very good evidence that is in fact food sensitivities that are at the root.

Because, put these two together:

1) Not everyone with acne has abnormal insulin.

2) Going on a low-glycemic load diet reduces acne.

So clearly there is SOMETHING in the low-glycemic load diet that is reducing the acne, but it is most likely not because of reduction in insulin.

If it's not insulin...then perhaps it's the huge reduction in the amount of gluten and often dairy necessary to go on low-glycemic load diet. Reduce the number of foods you're sensitive to in the diet, reduce the acne.

A mere single study. Look on the web, tons of sources that link insulin and glycemic index to acne.

This study you make reference to doesnt state how long the subjects were on low GI diet. and if at all they were on low GI and not just a sugar diet as in sucrose, fructose.

I am 100% behind this hypothesis because ive seen results in my own face.

I used to be a typical brit.. drinking tea about 10 times a day with two tea spoons of sugar in and my face was incredibly oily and couldnt remain dry 20mins after washing.. i cut out drinking tea for 2 days and i was amazed i could run my finger down my nose and experience dry skin

A mere single study. Look on the web, tons of sources that link insulin and glycemic index to acne.

This study you make reference to doesnt state how long the subjects were on low GI diet. and if at all they were on low GI and not just a sugar diet as in sucrose, fructose.

I am 100% behind this hypothesis because ive seen results in my own face.

I used to be a typical brit.. drinking tea about 10 times a day with two tea spoons of sugar in and my face was incredibly oily and couldnt remain dry 20mins after washing.. i cut out drinking tea for 2 days and i was amazed i could run my finger down my nose and experience dry skin

I trust studies much more than "tons of sources" on the web.

I don't doubt that a low-glycemic index diet worked for you. It worked for me too...and there are studies that show it works for people with acne.

But the reason is not because it fixed your insulin resistance...and that's why this other study on insulin in people with acne is so important.

The reason the low-glycemic index diet works for you and me and many others is because it eliminates the vast majority of your food sensitivities.

Smith RN, Mann NJ, Braue A, M䫥l䩮en H, Varigos GA.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?D...Pubmed_RVDocSum

The above study has been going on for at least 2 years now. You can read earlier publications below:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=77931

(unfortunately, Pubmed has since deleted these articles)

The problem with these kind of studies is that they in no way show that insulin resistance is the root cause of acne. In fact, this study combined with the earlier one actually provide very good evidence that is in fact food sensitivities that are at the root.

Because, put these two together:

1) Not everyone with acne has abnormal insulin.

2) Going on a low-glycemic load diet reduces acne.

So clearly there is SOMETHING in the low-glycemic load diet that is reducing the acne, but it is most likely not because of reduction in insulin.

If it's not insulin...then perhaps it's the huge reduction in the amount of gluten and often dairy necessary to go on low-glycemic load diet. Reduce the number of foods you're sensitive to in the diet, reduce the acne.

Oh heavens no, I don't believe that everyone's acne is caused by IR, that's highly erroneous for people to think.

People with....chronic acne, tend to have a major underlying disorder, usually it's a hormonal disorder and usually, but certainly not always, it is linked to high androgen levels. However, there are dozens of hormonal disorders that have acne as a symptom out there and there are various causes for them.

Of course, there are others out there that don't have hormonal disorders but some other issue, like candida, or an actual food hypersensitivity that can be detected!

Thus a diet that eliminates sugar, won't always work for everyone and as you and I both found out, it won't neccessarily be the BEST solution for us.

There's no doubt that I can't consume sugars...that would be the IR part....I can't consume gluten, which if you believe D'Adamo is because gluten & certain lectin proteisn act as insulin mimickers and thus put certain blood types (which myself and dad fall into), at risk for becoming IR and then later Type II Diabetics.

I don't follow D'Adamos diet though or even Perricone's Diet, for example, because they are not accurate for what my body is sensitive to.

Of course, after more than 5 years, I'm still at 99+% clear (eating out can still get me at times), which as soon as I have time in my life (very very soon) I hope to resolve through Stage 3 that you see in my signature as I do believe all of this is probably linked to a very mild Intestinal Hyperpermeability which....can lead to Food Hypersenstivities, which may explain everything that I've been going through, Insulin Resistance caused Hyperandrogenism.

Before I changed my diet, I did get tested, but I'm not considered a celiac even though they did find half the antibodies needed to dx me as one. When you think about that, if I didn't have some form of intestinal permeability or my mother didn't (since she can pass along her unknown food sensitivities to me through her white cells)....how could I have antibodies to gluten to begin with?

So anyway, something I posted a while back, at least for those of us that have Hyperandrogrnism linked to Insulin Resistance, was more along this in terms of the pathway:

(Intestinal Hyperpermeability)--> TypeIV/TypeIII-Hypersensitivity-->Silent Chronic Inflammation--> Insulin Resistance-->

Hyperandrogenism--> More Inflammation-->Acne (and other signs)

(Intestinal Hyperpermeability)--> TypeIV/TypeIII-Hypersensitivity-->Silent Chronic Inflammation--> Insulin Resistance-->

Yeah I generally agree with this pathway, although it's arguable where acne fits into the whole thing. I bet a more accurate diagram would be a web or tree instead of a linear path.

For me at least, the top of the tree or web would be gluten which leads to all the other problems. When I stop eating gluten for about 2-3 weeks very strictly (no eating out), all the rest of my food sensitivities go away. Basically for me, gluten causes intestinal hyperpermeability which leads to everything else.

And this is exactly what happens in celiac disease:

"With celiac disease, we could never understand how a big protein like gluten was getting through to the immune system. Now we have the answer," explains Dr. Fasano. "People with celiac have an increased level of zonulin, which opens the junctions between the cells. In essence, the gateways are stuck open, allowing gluten and other allergens to pass. Once these allergens get into the immune system, they are attacked by the antibodies," adds Dr. Fasano.

link: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/200...fiz-2804100.php

I agree with this at the Insulin Reistance stage and thereafter..

Western Diets cause insulin resistance.. you can read a billion articles and studies on it not related to acne, relating to other disorders that come with too much insulin. Also westerners are LAZY compared to the amount of exercises our bodies are made for

Notice my "How many people are skinny" thread has 600 views? does this not tell you something. People with less lean body mass are naturally going to need to uptake less glucose, thus more of it is going to remain dormat in the bloodsteam with insulin being pumped out trying to get the glucose in.