Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
martypants

Spiro and Antibiotics

Hi! I've been on Spiro for just about 5 months and it's been amazing! I'm also on doxycycline which i've taken for 7 months. It wasn't until i started spiro that my face changed dramatically. Now, my doctor and I would like for me to come off the antibiotic. I definately want to but i'm scared to change anything. I still get an occasional surface pimple (and the rare white head) which go away in a couple days. i guess i'm scared that if i go off the antibiotic, these tiny tiny surface pimples will become deep painful cyts. has anyone successfully weaned off an antibiotic while on spiro?

I had been on erythromycin since my second month of using spiro (started end of May). My face is clear and beatiful. I have been weaning off of the erythromycin for a couple of weeks and I finally ran out of it last week. So far so good--no changes.

I was scared to though, since my derm was not 100% convinced that my success was from the spiro. I have been on and off antibiotics since I was a teenager, and my face never looked this good. The spiro has transformed my skin!

I had been taking various antibiotics long term (I'm talking 5+ years!) prior to starting Spiro. After about 3 months of Spiro though, my skin had improved so much and I decided to ween myself off the antibiotic. Instead of taking it twice daily, I started taking it just once daily for a few weeks. Things were still looking good, so I took myself off it completely. My skin continued to stay clear without any new breakouts. I'm happy to say that I've been on Spiro for about 11+ months now, and my face is the clearest it's ever been. If I were you, I'd definitely try to stop your antibiotic now! Keep us posted! Good luck :)

Hi Ladies, I'm so glad this question was asked about antibiotics and spiro because I too am in the process of weaning myself off antibiotics. I had been taking 100 mg of doryx off and on for about a year when I first began my spiro treatment. I stopped taking the doryx the same day I started the spiro. But after 2-3 weeks of a pretty bad IB, I went back on the 100mg doryx along with the spiro. I tried to wean myself off the doryx a couple different times by decreasing my dosage to 50mg but within days, I would be breaking out again so I'd start back on 100mg and my face would clear up. But what's interesting to me is how much more effective the antibiotics were in combination with the spiro than the antiobiotics were when I was taking them without the spiro. So I had faith that the spiro was doing something.

Well, finally, I am happy to report that I am now in my 5th month of spiro and for about the last 2-3 weeks, I have been taking only 50mg of doryx with great success. I haven't had any new breakouts during the past month or more. So I will be stopping the doryx altogether in about 6 days and while I'm also pretty nervous about it, I am hopeful that I'll continue to stay clear while only on the spiro because I have never had this much success while only taking 50 mg of doryx. I'll definitely keep you posted! And I wish everyone else good luck!

Hi! I've been on Spiro for just about 5 months and it's been amazing! I'm also on doxycycline which i've taken for 7 months. It wasn't until i started spiro that my face changed dramatically. Now, my doctor and I would like for me to come off the antibiotic. I definately want to but i'm scared to change anything. I still get an occasional surface pimple (and the rare white head) which go away in a couple days. i guess i'm scared that if i go off the antibiotic, these tiny tiny surface pimples will become deep painful cyts. has anyone successfully weaned off an antibiotic while on spiro?

Thanks for all the replies! I think i am going to start weaning myself after the holidays...don't want to take any chances! i'll keep you all posted.

I was on Septra. Took spiro for the last 8 weeks I was on the Septra, then stopped the Septra completely about 2 weeks ago. So far, just one PMS pimple and it had already been there as a clogged pore for weeks prior. It just finally got inflammed. No other bad changes. You should most likely be fine.

Hello again! Spiro is still being good to me so i'm thinking about starting to wean off the doxy. What's the best way to do this? I would just go see my doc but i got new insurance and it's a hefty copay so i'd rather just try and do it on my own. the last time i saw my doc he told me when i was ready to start by taking it once a day (I'm currently taking it twice a day). how long do i do that for - a few weeks, a few months? and they do i take it every other day or just stop? how long should the whole weaning process take? I'd like to be off of it by the summer (May). I hated the sun sensitivity. I'm still really nervous about going off the antibiotic so wish me luck!

Hello again! Spiro is still being good to me so i'm thinking about starting to wean off the doxy. What's the best way to do this? I would just go see my doc but i got new insurance and it's a hefty copay so i'd rather just try and do it on my own. the last time i saw my doc he told me when i was ready to start by taking it once a day (I'm currently taking it twice a day). how long do i do that for - a few weeks, a few months? and they do i take it every other day or just stop? how long should the whole weaning process take? I'd like to be off of it by the summer (May). I hated the sun sensitivity. I'm still really nervous about going off the antibiotic so wish me luck!

Hi everyone!

I have been on Spiro 25mg twice a day and Yaz for a month now, I do have to agree I had the initial break out which has been improving this past week, I cant say Ive seen a hue difference yet but i guess im hopeful that I will soon. My doctor actually had prescribed Doryx to accompany the Spiro and Yaz but i couldnt get myself to take so much meds, as ive taken doryx etc in the past and saw no results, I didnt fill the rx for the doryx and am wodnering if maybe thats why i havent seen any results or is it to soon? Any ideas?

Hi everyone!

I have been on Spiro 25mg twice a day and Yaz for a month now, I do have to agree I had the initial break out which has been improving this past week, I cant say Ive seen a hue difference yet but i guess im hopeful that I will soon. My doctor actually had prescribed Doryx to accompany the Spiro and Yaz but i couldnt get myself to take so much meds, as ive taken doryx etc in the past and saw no results, I didnt fill the rx for the doryx and am wodnering if maybe thats why i havent seen any results or is it to soon? Any ideas?

It's WAY to soon to tell anything. The first month is nothing! Especially since you're starting a new bcp as well. And I hate to break it to you, but 25 mg of Spiro is a very very low dose. Be prepared to wait 4-6 months to start seeing consistent improvement, although you will most likely need a sprio dosage increase along the way. If I were you, I'd take the antibiotic as well, as it can help get you through the waiting period. if you don't like doxy, i'd suggest trying minocycline.