Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cl smooth

True or False: Using a lot of 10% Benzyl Peroxide will cause premature skin aging

After being on the regimen for 3+ years (in which i became about 75-85% acne free), I have recently started to apply 10% BP all over my face at night before I go to bed, which makes me about 90-95% acne free at any given time.

Is this bad? Can anyone shed light on this idea that BP causes free radicals or something like that?

Thanks in advance.

The reason Benzoyl Peroxide is beneficial for acne is because it decomposes, releasing free radicals (in the form of unstable oxygen molecules,) killing the bacteria P. Acnes, which is strictly anaerobic, meaning that oxygen is toxic to it. However, these free radicals also promote the breakdown of collagen in the skin. As collagen gives the skin its elasticity, a reduction in collagen promotes sagging of the skin and wrinkles. Thus, it is certainly true that the use of Benzoyl Peroxide hastens the skin's aging process, however the rate at which it does so is variable. Appling a thick layer of 10% Benzoyl Peroxide each night would certainly increase the rate at which wrinkles form, and so it is your choice between improved acne and slightly worsened wrinkles. Nonetheless, I would not use so much Benzoyl Peroxide, simply because it is very drying and may cause your skin to become dependant on it. It's a judgement call.

Do you have sources that cite those claims? I don't believe any of that, but if you know something or have seen something I have not I'd love to look it over.

If it is not true that bp promotes premature skin aging, why do many people on here complain of wrinkles all of a sudden developing in areas where they use bp? I don't want you to just make up a reason, i want a source thats credible!

There are some who complain of wrinkling, and there are some who never experience this at all. BP is a drying agent and when moisture from the skin is depleted wrinkles can be accentuated, but a good moisturizer will remedy this. Besides, accoding to "BION research" hydrogen peroxide is created within the skin to break down pimples, according to them. Now supposing that this is true, and knowing what we know about hydrogen peroxide, there is most certainly free radical damage going on there! BP hasn't been proven to be damaging at all. So we have an option here, use a chemical that hasn't been proven to be unsafe, or let pimples form and let these counterproductive chemicals run rampant. As Jigsaw would say..."Make your choice"

Most studies that have been done that show premature aging have been done with 100% BP. For those of you that are not good with math 10% is one-tenth that. Most people use a 2.5% BP. BP has been around for a long long time. People have used it for extended periods of time without much harm other than dryness and redness. Look at dan, hes been on it for god knows how long anc claims that the skin looks healthier in places that he applied BP.

No, its the cancer claims that have been based on the use of 100% bp. The premature aging claims have been based on the use of regular 2.5%-10% bp acne treatments.