Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hopeseed

Acne Scar Article from 1950

"Acids and dry ice have been used to level the skin; so have mechanical devices such as scalpel blades, razor blades, needles grouped like a currycomb, rough stones, disks and brushes."

"Acids"= chemical peels

"discs and brushes"= dermabrasion

"needles grouped like a currycomb"= needling

Wow, we really have made no significant advancements in the world of scar improvement. In the 50's they were using dermabraion, chemical peels, and needling.

Like I said, people 20 years ago were certain that there would be an absolute cure for scars by the turn of the century. In reality, standard methods are still stuck in the 50's.

Progress always seems to work monumentally slower in actuality than it does in our minds.

Thanks for the article...

Like a lot of things, medicine progresses at a glacial pace. There is a continuing buildup of pressure (in our case knowledge) that is invisible on the surface and until it builds up and explodes causing dramatic sudden cataclysmic change. I truly think that within the next very few years we will see such a change in the treatment of the skin and scarring! I would agree scarcrash, we haven't seen that much progress in this area. In many ways we are still in the 50's. Sad. Thanks for posting hopeseed!

Guys come on, we have progressed quite a bit if you read the article as it is and don't read into things to much. "rough stones" comes to mind when thinking how we have progressed from that article....

Mention things such as co2 laser to people in the 1950s they would be shocked to hear of it being used to correct scars, no?

Probably the biggest changes are the subscisons, lasers and fillers. We now have pure silicone for those that use the micro-droplet technique and other permanent fillers are being used in Euorpe, Canada, South America and Mexico. Temporary fillers are also available for those that want to go that route. Although fillers could be improved, the subscisions do help some people with deeper scars. The emphasis from the 50s to the 90s seemed to be mostly on sanding down the skin and as many of us realize after dermabrasion or laser, much of the shadowing comes from loss of tissue, not the resurfacing of the skin although resurfacing does give some improvement for the lighter scars.

The one area that treatment needs to be improved is in the approach to the patient and the understanding of what we are going through. To be quite honest, unless a person is afflicted with scarring themselves, the devastating psychological impact is not taken seriously by almost anyone. After 35 years with scars I can say that there is a strong social stigma attached to scarrring. Insurance companies just consider it to be cosmetic and family and friends just expect you to shrug it off and not make a big deal out of it. I think that this makes the treatment of scars a low priority and as we can see, only a handful of doctors are working with scar patients and the technology changes very slowly. Acne scars are also by their nature difficult to treat and change so change seems to come very slowly and true improvment involves multiple operations and treatments.

Guys come on, we have progressed quite a bit if you read the article as it is and don't read into things to much. "rough stones" comes to mind when thinking how we have progressed from that article....

Mention things such as co2 laser to people in the 1950s they would be shocked to hear of it being used to correct scars, no?

As far as lasers go- the term "laser" tends to elicit "oohs" and "ahhs" and sounds very technologically advanced, but it ultimately achieves the same type of effect on the skin as other forms of deep exfoliation. The laser creates a multitude of micro-wounds that the body attempts to heal. As the body brings blood and nutrients to the site for healing, sometimes scar tissue is carried away and collagen is deposited.

Lasers are new technology, as well as there being a plethora of different peels and rejuve techniques available. Just because something has roots in earlier technology doesn't make progress null and void.

I think what we need is for people to do some actual research and see it as more than scars. First off does anyone know what field people would be in that research acne scars? Dermatologist? Scientist? Anyone know the name of the researchers that would research on acne scars?

Anyway people only see it as you have acne scars, they fail to see it's not purely cosmetic as their is impact when someone has acne scars I mean if they didn't why aren't people with acne scars famous stars on television? Normal people that deal with it don't have it easy either. Sure it's cosmetic to some degree because we want to look better but at least people that do plastic surgery to look better have it easier. At least they CAN fix things. We try but after all these years all we can do is scrap off dead skin cells? Meanwhile some people can just fix their nose and they know it's fixed.

Lasers are new technology, as well as there being a plethora of different peels and rejuve techniques available. Just because something has roots in earlier technology doesn't make progress null and void.

Exactly, lasers are "new" technology that produces the same "old" results. I am not saying they are null and void- results are results. When this technology first came on the scene, people expected that these lasers would CURE their scars. People were really not expecting results comparable to antiquated procedures like dermabrasion. New technology producing old results- can't we do better than this?

I am saying that technology has to progress beyond the current paradigm, which is to re-injure the skin to produce scar reduction during healing. They have come up with many novel ways of doing this , but ultimately, they are just new ways of doing the same old thing.