Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hsbc

Benzoyl Peroxide 20%

My brother has used Benzyol Peroxide 20% just on spots, and I would take some of his sometimes, but I stopped when it was almost bleaching my olive skin (he has very pale skin). I was just thinking today though whether or not anyone has ever used Benzoyl 20%, yes 20%. It isn't a brand name, we have to go to the hospital pharmacy and they mix it there. I am trying to convince him that prolonged usage of this 20% is very bad for his skin, and maybe move him onto another prescription, but was just wondering how prevalent this concentration is.

I wouldn't recommend using any concentration of BP for any amount of time. It damages your skin and any fabric your skin touches, and can cause permanent discoloration and scarring.

20% can cause some damage to skin. But keep in mind the studies that have been done that say BP damages skin were done mostly with 100% concentration. A 2.5% concentration should not damage the skin that much, skin will be able to heal itself after you stop using it. Using a sunscreen though with a 20% BP is a must.

20% can cause some damage to skin. But keep in mind the studies that have been done that say BP damages skin were done mostly with 100% concentration. A 2.5% concentration should not damage the skin that much, skin will be able to heal itself after you stop using it. Using a sunscreen though with a 20% BP is a must.

The thing is though, no other concentration of BP did anything, but 20% has kept him 100% clear and I haven't noticed any skin damage.... yet. When he comes back for Christmas break from college, I had my mom set up a dermatologist appointment so we can get him on something milder. I was just wondering how prevalent 20% is, apparently extremely rare!

Guest markychv

Years ago when Dr James Fulton had his practice in Costa Mesa he was selling 20% BP with 8% sulpher, it was the best thing that stopped my acne dead in its tracks! I only used it 1 or 2 times a week and thats all I needed to keep my skin super clear! NOTHING has ever worked quite as well as that, even Accutane. Unfortunatley once the FDA started sticking there fuckin noses where it doesnt belong they demanded that he stop making it, the highest concentration in BP that is available in the US is 10%, in Canada however it is 20%. So there went my miracle cure. The FDA is so full of shit, they wont approve 20% BP but will approve and not withdraw a drug like Accutane that causes depression, suicide and birth defects - makes no sense. Same thing with Retin A, they approved the cream version for years that actually caused acne before they would even consider a gel formulation. I firmly believe that its a money making ploy, they work for the pharmaceutical companies, its all about money. If something worked to cure acne it would cause SEVERAL companies to go out of business, we are talking billions of dollars in money taken from pharmaceutical and cosmetic companies - can you imagine?? makes perfect sense to me! If you are in Canada you can get the 20% BP by prescription.

Mark

p.s. the part about 20% BP causing scarring is rubbish, it can however bleach your skin however I am very fair skinned so it worked wonders for me! it can bleach your bedding (sleep on a pillow covered in a plain white pillow cover and white sheets!)

20% works fine and is not that irritating. Yes, it's all about money. BP, Salicylic Acid, and Sulfur in combination will bring just about any acne under control at sufficient concentrations... that's the key. There's also data that coal tar is another big one. Wash with that, use a BPO/SalAcid/S combo topical and you can pretty much say goodbye to acne. Add some erythromycin orally for the first few months, and there is very low probability you'll have significant lesions after continued usage. There have not been THAT many studies that show 2.5% is just as effective as higher concentrations, and the vast majority of studies that show BP is as effective as most other treatments use concentrations over 5%. When they do 2.5% comparisons, it's studies that show a limited improvement in the first few weeks of usage and then a plateau at around 25-75% reduction of lesions. If we're talking about continued use, 10-20% BPO, especially with the other ingredients, are capable of doing much better.