Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gin_n_juice

IMPORTANT - for generic vs brand accutane

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share an important piece of information with the board regarding Accutane that many may not have thought about. For certain I do not expect doctors and pharmacists who may not really care about your success on Accutane to tell you this.

I'm a 23 year old male living in USA, and I'm on month 4 of my Accutane treatment. I had pretty mild acne before I started, and now it's much better but still some acne left. Even at 80 mg/day I wonder why this is (considering I'm ~190 lbs), as I had felt for the potency of this medication it should pretty much clear me no problem since I had such mild acne.

In any event, here's what I noticed. Everyone in my city of San Diego buys generic brands of Accutane (Sotret, Claravis, etc). I wanted to be truly sure of the product I was getting, so I always got brand name Accutane (insurance pays for it for me so no big deal). Well, let me tell you what I noticed. Since I am the only one at my pharmacies getting this brand name Accutane, it looks like this Accutane is so close to expiry that it's reduced in effectiveness! Don't believe me? Well just this past month I got Accutane again (~$1200 for the damn prescription), and it expires in 1 month! Other pharmacies don't even carry this brand name drug, and when they order it in, it comes in from some warehouse where it's been sitting for at least a year! Within 4 days of using this new prescription, I have already stopped getting chapped lips, dry eyes, no side effects that I was even getting before. I have called Roche and complained to my pharmacist, and he reluctantly traded in my brand name Accutane for generic Sotret.

In conclusion, if you try to get some brand name drug like Accutane just to be sure your treatment will be effective, you may be doing more harm than good in USA! Nobody here buys this brand name drug because it's so damn expensive (2x as much as generics), and so it ends up going stale in some warehouse. Pharmacists will tell you that drug potency is the same since it may be very close to expiry data, but not yet there. I do not believe that, I just don't based on my experience. Everything degrades, so I have no doubt that drugs also degrade over time.

I hope this helps out someone else, and if you want to double check your medication, check the expiry date on the back of your packs.