Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sierralita

Emotional healing for scar sufferers

I want to put this to anyone who can use it.

I've been suffering a lot in the past few weeks from side effects of scar treatments, and just general exhaustion from this loooooong battle I've been involved with -- with myself! And my skin. My skin has been an absolute nightmare for twenty years.

Last night, after a day dealing with bad doctors who couldn't or wouldn't help me, I hit rock bottom and really felt like, if it wasn't for certain people in my life being crushed, I'd probably take a bottle of pills. I really had come to the end of my rope. So it's good I have these people!

This was a rock-bottom emotional moment for me because I have a HUUUGELY important social event coming up that means everything in the world to me, and I thought I'd be close to scar free by now, but I'm not, and I also have new side effects I never foresaw. This is really a bad, panic-making type of situation, but there's nothing I can do about it now.

And ultimately, I just want so badly to be naturally beautiful the way I once was, to have smooth and lovely skin, to not have to wear make-up (which I really hate) and struggle with this burden every day of my life. So I kind of crashed last night out of total frustration and a feeling of hopeless misery that just consumed me totally.

Then I realized that really I needed to go deeper into myself for psychological and emotional healing, because I'm NOT going to kill myself, and yet I just can't keep suffering like this anymore. I nearly had a total panic attack and felt absolutely desperate.

Anyway, I was able to bring myself out of this terrible moment, through very intense meditation and healing on myself. I can't go into all the details of what I did, but I was able to do it because I've spent years studying various spiritual practices that I can call on.

What I wanted to recommend to anyone else suffering like this, are the books and writings of Pema Chodron, who is a Buddhist nun and teacher. You can Google her.

One reason why she is so great to read is because she addresses exactly this kind of moment, when everything falls apart for you, and you can't salvage it in any way at all. You can't make it better. And it just nails you to your own cross.

I've found her writing to be the most accessible, direct, clear teaching on the wisdom of the Buddhist tradition, and how it applies to the lives of people like us. She has really helped me recently, so I wanted to pass it on to you.

Her books are called:

When Things Fall Apart

The Places That Scare You

Start Where You Are

Maybe there are others. You can find some interviews with her online.

I hope this helps someone.

Peace