Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Anon1

Nothing is working

Ive had severe acne for a few months now and nothing I do can seem to get rid of it. Ive tried $1000 dollar light treatments, which I think made it worse, ive tried numerous kits including Dermetoligca and Proactiv*On this now* but I cant shake this. Its really starting to get me down and im finding myself not doing stuff I would if i didnt have this, im putting off dates, social events even staying after school for help because i just dont want to be seen like this. Right now im on proactiv, ive been using it for about a week and so far I dont really see any results besides my face being red. I ice my face a few times a day and that temporarily brings it down but I could use some advice here. I cant see a dermetologist until january so its going to have to be somthing i can do myself

Have you looked into attacking the problem from a naturopathic side? Perhaps taking supplements and doing diet changes my work.

Ive had severe acne for a few months now and nothing I do can seem to get rid of it. Ive tried $1000 dollar light treatments, which I think made it worse, ive tried numerous kits including Dermetoligca and Proactiv*On this now* but I cant shake this. Its really starting to get me down and im finding myself not doing stuff I would if i didnt have this, im putting off dates, social events even staying after school for help because i just dont want to be seen like this. Right now im on proactiv, ive been using it for about a week and so far I dont really see any results besides my face being red. I ice my face a few times a day and that temporarily brings it down but I could use some advice here. I cant see a dermetologist until january so its going to have to be somthing i can do myself

IMO look into probiotics and a good multi-vitamin.

In terms of diet, the usual culprits that people cut out are dairy and gluten (wheat and wheat-derived products).

You may also want to look into either a parasite cleanse or a colon cleanse; do some research and see what you think. Also have a look at the nutrition and hollistic health forum.

what type of supplements should I be taking? and as far as diet changes what should I be avoiding? I am trying to cut down on dairy products becuase i heard the hormones can make you break out

Remember that with any topical acne treatment it takes time to get the acne under control. You should give your medications 2-3 months before you decide if they are working for you.

Have you thought of trying Dan's regimen?

I didn't see any mention of prescription acne treatments in your post -- have you been to a derm and tried those? A gentle facewash and a prescribed topical would work better than an acne "kit."

Get some cetaphil or something to use as your cleanser most days/nights, and only use the Proactiv cleanser 2-3x a week. It's very rough and irritating. All that extra scrubbing won't help your acne and will just irritate your skin, make it look "burnt up" as you say.

Then where do those light treatments come from? If they are not done by a doctor, I seriously wouldn't even consider it. You need to get accutane for severe acne, no other meds so be sure to ask when you step into the clinic. As for now its better off you try milder stuff rather then Proactiv which is harsh. Try Dan's regimen then, its milder but the principle is the same as Proactiv.

Get some cetaphil or something to use as your cleanser most days/nights, and only use the Proactiv cleanser 2-3x a week. It's very rough and irritating. All that extra scrubbing won't help your acne and will just irritate your skin, make it look "burnt up" as you say.