Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Girl24

Food Allergies & Intolerances

I have a lot of environmental allergies - tree, grass, ragweed, dust. I was on shots for five years from ages 6-11. I was also allergic to milk - stomach pains, and would constantly break out in hives and rashes growing up that no doctor could attribute them to anything.

I had acne from 15-22, mainly my forehead, nose and chin, that I kept at bay with Proactiv and tanning. At 16 I developed acne on back, and later on it moved to my chest as well.

At 23, my typically acne disappeared from my forehead (still on back and chest, but the type changed to more clogged pores than inflammatory) and I developed cystic acne on my face, and severly oily skin (1 hour after washing was covered in oil, on back and chest as well), and my chest and back acne worsened because of this.

Almost 3 years after my acne changed, I have been able to get my face to 99% clarity. It took the last few years or researching to slowly eliminate one foods at a time - sugar (was actually wheat because by eliminating sugar I was eliminating cakes, cookies, etc.) - gluten - dairy. My back and chest are still somewhat of a problem, but it's mostly just waiting for it to heal, and trying to refrain from touching it.

Through my own elimination and confirmation through blood test (which often it may not come up if it's not a true allergy, which is why the elimination technique is really a must) I am allergic to:

Dairy - clogs pores on back

Wheat - made me severly oily (which clogged all of my pores), cystic pimples on cheeks

Gluten (yes, I know gluten is in wheat, and I cannot eat barley (which also has gluten) as well)

Eggs

Soy

Peanuts

Tree Nuts

I was probably always allergic to these foods.

I am waiting for a new test to come back - about 60 foods. I believe I am intolerant to foods that grow on a tree since tree allergies can often cross relate with foods such as apples, bananas and oranges.

I know these are definitely a problem because I elminated all fruit for three months when I first thought my acne was due to insulin resistance. When I started eating them again I noticed an increase in oil and 7 new pimples on my back within 3 days.

I wish I had this figure out years ago, but hopefully it will help someone else. And, it makes sense being intolerant to foods - why is it that some people can eat things and not breakout, but others will be a mess.

Now I just have to figure out why I'm so allergic, and how to get my brain to stop thinking an apple is an invader.

It is not your brain causing the allergies, so don't worry about that.

I too have an unbelievable number of allergies ranging from very mild, to very severe. I had allergy tests when I was younger for airborne allergens, and tested postive for 14 of the 16 things I was tested for (not dogs and cats because I grew up with them), and had more tests and was allergic to even more. I did not have food allergy tests until I was 18, but I had lots of other allergy tests before that. I am allergic to way more things than I even know. Of things that I have been tested for I am allergic to 20+ things, but I have not been tested for much more than that. I took allergy shots for about 6 weeks, but I had to stop because I was having such bad reactions to them. Once I was tested for food allergies I found out that I was allergic to wheat, corn, peanuts, and walnuts. I am also lactose intolerant. I have found that if I avoid those all of my typical outdoor, and seasonal allergies go away. I still am not sure why. It is nice though because now I don't have to take allergy medications all of the time. I still have problems with things that touch my skin, like latex, or nickel.

The reason you are allergic to so many things is because you inherited the genes for Atopy. Atopy is just the condition that makes your body prone to allergic symptoms, and your body produces histamine for non-infectious proteins. It also might be caused by using antibiotics when you were younger, or mother's lack of breastfeeding. My mother did not breast feed, and I did take antibiotics as a baby and when I was young. I have it and so do my parents and brother. Nearly everyone in my extended family is also prone to it. I just have it worse than the rest of them. Most people who have allergies like you are talking about also have asthma, or Atopic Dermatitis, or both. I had all three, but once I started avoiding my food allergies my asthma went away. I still get Atopic Dermatitis, especially if I irritate my skin.

Do you have really sensitive skin? Just from reading all of your allergies, I think it is highly likely that you have some form of Atopic Dermatitis. It is possible that you don't, but I am guessing that you do. Atopic Dermatitis can weaken your skin, and make it much easier for bacteria, and fungus to multiply. If you do have AD, you should use as gentle a cleanser as possible, and use it only on body parts that tend to smell. That way you reduce the irritation, and let your skin bring it's immunity back. Your skin will heal itself if you stop using soap and cleansers. It will also better regulate it's oil production. It does take time for it to fix itself though, so don't expect to see a major difference overnight. It also might look slightly worse before it gets better. Washing with only water will not make your acne worse. It will probably improve it. You might get Keratosis Pilaris, or it might worsen when you first start avoiding cleansers, because your skin is used to quickly regenerating, but it will improve or go away in time. Keratosis Pilaris is caused by a build-up of dead skin around hair follicles.

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-tre...opic-dermatitis

^^^^ this link describes it and how to treat it.

BTW, How did the allergy shots work for you? I have never met anybody that actually finished the treatment.

Milk, dust (my room is ALWAYS dusty, and it makes me sad), weeds, cat dander (oh, have a cat). dog dander (oh, have a large dog my mom refuses to keep outside), the dander of the birds (we have one inside! we could put them outside, but my mom doesn't want too), I am allergic to every kind of dander, week, pollen, you name it, except for mold :| Jeez... like at times ain't it?

I stopped the shots when I was like 7 or 8, didn't do me much good.

It is not your brain causing the allergies, so don't worry about that.

I too have an unbelievable number of allergies ranging from very mild, to very severe. I had allergy tests when I was younger for airborne allergens, and tested postive for 14 of the 16 things I was tested for (not dogs and cats because I grew up with them), and had more tests and was allergic to even more. I did not have food allergy tests until I was 18, but I had lots of other allergy tests before that. I am allergic to way more things than I even know. Of things that I have been tested for I am allergic to 20+ things, but I have not been tested for much more than that. I took allergy shots for about 6 weeks, but I had to stop because I was having such bad reactions to them. Once I was tested for food allergies I found out that I was allergic to wheat, corn, peanuts, and walnuts. I am also lactose intolerant. I have found that if I avoid those all of my typical outdoor, and seasonal allergies go away. I still am not sure why. It is nice though because now I don't have to take allergy medications all of the time. I still have problems with things that touch my skin, like latex, or nickel.

The reason you are allergic to so many things is because you inherited the genes for Atopy. Atopy is just the condition that makes your body prone to allergic symptoms, and your body produces histamine for non-infectious proteins. It also might be caused by using antibiotics when you were younger, or mother's lack of breastfeeding. My mother did not breast feed, and I did take antibiotics as a baby and when I was young. I have it and so do my parents and brother. Nearly everyone in my extended family is also prone to it. I just have it worse than the rest of them. Most people who have allergies like you are talking about also have asthma, or Atopic Dermatitis, or both. I had all three, but once I started avoiding my food allergies my asthma went away. I still get Atopic Dermatitis, especially if I irritate my skin.

Do you have really sensitive skin? Just from reading all of your allergies, I think it is highly likely that you have some form of Atopic Dermatitis. It is possible that you don't, but I am guessing that you do. Atopic Dermatitis can weaken your skin, and make it much easier for bacteria, and fungus to multiply. If you do have AD, you should use as gentle a cleanser as possible, and use it only on body parts that tend to smell. That way you reduce the irritation, and let your skin bring it's immunity back. Your skin will heal itself if you stop using soap and cleansers. It will also better regulate it's oil production. It does take time for it to fix itself though, so don't expect to see a major difference overnight. It also might look slightly worse before it gets better. Washing with only water will not make your acne worse. It will probably improve it. You might get Keratosis Pilaris, or it might worsen when you first start avoiding cleansers, because your skin is used to quickly regenerating, but it will improve or go away in time. Keratosis Pilaris is caused by a build-up of dead skin around hair follicles.

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-tre...opic-dermatitis

^^^^ this link describes it and how to treat it.

BTW, How did the allergy shots work for you? I have never met anybody that actually finished the treatment.

Blood does not transfer from your lungs directly to the vessels and skin surrounding it. So, I highly doubt that acne around your lungs is a result of reactions in your lungs.

I still think you are probably irritating your skin too much, and your food allergies are just making your skin more sensitive. I am convinced though, that allergies can cause acne.

Blood does not transfer from your lungs directly to the vessels and skin surrounding it. So, I highly doubt that acne around your lungs is a result of reactions in your lungs.

I still think you are probably irritating your skin too much, and your food allergies are just making your skin more sensitive. I am convinced though, that allergies can cause acne.

They say you can recover from an intolerance that was caused by consuming too much of a food if you avoid the food for a while and in my experience, that might be true. I discovered years ago that most of the horrible cystic acne I used to get were caused by eating oranges. Eliminating them caused about a 75% improvement in my skin, but I still had oily skin, blackheads, pimples, and some cysts.

Then nearly 2 years ago, when I changed my diet and experienced clear skin for the first time, then broke out with some cysts again, I realized that other citrus like limes also cause cysts. I could have some, but not too much. I started limiting the lemon or lime I drank in water or tea and my skin remained clear. However, lately I've been increasing that amount and frequently had quite a bit of lime juice in a day, more that what I had when I realized it caused cysts, and yet not had a break out. I haven't tried an orange yet, but some day I'll get up the nerve.

They say you can recover from an intolerance that was caused by consuming too much of a food if you avoid the food for a while and in my experience, that might be true. I discovered years ago that most of the horrible cystic acne I used to get were caused by eating oranges. Eliminating them caused about a 75% improvement in my skin, but I still had oily skin, blackheads, pimples, and some cysts.

Then nearly 2 years ago, when I changed my diet and experienced clear skin for the first time, then broke out with some cysts again, I realized that other citrus like limes also cause cysts. I could have some, but not too much. I started limiting the lemon or lime I drank in water or tea and my skin remained clear. However, lately I've been increasing that amount and frequently had quite a bit of lime juice in a day, more that what I had when I realized it caused cysts, and yet not had a break out. I haven't tried an orange yet, but some day I'll get up the nerve.

People with celiac disease have high histamine and often lots of allergies and sensitivities.

I have it and it was the cause of my acne, among other things.

I highly recommend you look into it and possibly get tested if you want that kind of confirmation.

i should go to doctors alot before they never said i am allergic

no i don't feel weird or w.e when i eat certain food :X

only reason why i got acne is cause my father had

and so my grandpa.. lol etc

so is by hormonal or w.e

but when i get a job , i am going to see a doctor

I can't yet cause i graduated... so i need to work lol

then i will see a doctor to see if i am allergic.

so is by hormonal or w.e

but when i get a job , i am going to see a doctor

I can't yet cause i graduated... so i need to work lol

then i will see a doctor to see if i am allergic.

so is by hormonal or w.e

But I'm not doing anything to aggravate my skin. I don't put any creams on it, and just wash with that veg. glycerine soap once daily. My skin is nowhere near where it was, and I actually have much more control than before. The reason my skin is as good as it is, is because I'm not eating the foods I'm allergic to. If I did, within 8-12 hours I would have pimples, and increase an oil, and if I ate dairy, I'd have hundreds of little bumps under the skin on my back. The whole middle of my back is finally clear, and I just have some marks on my cheeks. I'll try not washing my back, chest and face with soap. I know it won't make it worse.

Allergies. They sound like the driving force behind the bulk of your problems. I was also treated with shots at a young age with no positive results. Have you ever tried a purely holistic cleanse of the intestines, liver, and colon? It is very rigorous, but I hear well worth it. Once I get out of school in December, I'm going to try one because my allergies cause me a lot of pain. I also think that they are a large contributing factor to my food sensitivity. This might be obvious now, but it was definitely a big discovery just a few months ago after starting my research. I expect the inflammation to die down and my vital organs to function more cleanly and efficiently thereby reducing acne on my face. After changing my diet up and showering a lot less, all of my chest and back acne is gone for the most part.

Allergies. They sound like the driving force behind the bulk of your problems. I was also treated with shots at a young age with no positive results. Have you ever tried a purely holistic cleanse of the intestines, liver, and colon? It is very rigorous, but I hear well worth it. Once I get out of school in December, I'm going to try one because my allergies cause me a lot of pain. I also think that they are a large contributing factor to my food sensitivity. This might be obvious now, but it was definitely a big discovery just a few months ago after starting my research. I expect the inflammation to die down and my vital organs to function more cleanly and efficiently thereby reducing acne on my face. After changing my diet up and showering a lot less, all of my chest and back acne is gone for the most part.

so is by hormonal or w.e

That doesn't mean you don't also have an allergy causing some of your problem. You can have multiple causes. I did. My father and grandmother also had acne and oily skin, but they didn't have the horrible cysts I got as an allergic reaction.

And no dermatologist ever mentioned allergies to me and they probably won't to you unless you ask. Or if doctors in your country are more interested in health and nutrition than drugs, unlike the U.S.