Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kittenxo

Now that I am much healthier...

Hey!

I hope you guys can put my mind at ease...

About a week and a half ago, i *really* cleaned up my diet (not for the sake of my skin, cos it was 'ok', but for my health & to lose the weight i've put on from eating so much bad food!).

I even quit smoking 8 days ago!

Basically - I'm not smoking anymore, i'm drinking 2-3 litres of water per day, drinking 2-3 herbal detox teas per day, taking some supplements & eating a lot of raw vegetables etc.

And guess what? My skin is the worst it has been in ages! I think im even getting a coldsore, which i normally don't get. :(

I'm remaining sane by telling myself that this is an initial break out, that i am pretty much detoxing through my skin....that in a couple of months time (when i go on my holiday), my skin will look great.

Do you guys think this is what is happening, or am i fooling myself?

Please feel free to share your experiences, i really appreciate your help! :)

You made some ok changes, but I don't see anything in your regimen that will get rid of acne. And it's entirely possible that some of the new foods and supplements you are using are actually causing more acne.

Most people on this forum have had to eliminate certain types of food like all gluten (wheat, rye, barley, oats) and all dairy in order to get rid of acne. Unfortunately just "eating healthy" in the mainstream sense just doesn't work.

It sounds to me just what you're suspecting and that is that your body is detoxing. It takes time to eliminate what has been built up for years. I am generally a very healthy eater, i don't drink or smoke. I avoid all caffeine and sugars and yet when I do a cleanse my face breaks out. I'm currently in the middle of one and I have a few cysts. I wonder why I even do this to myself sometimes.

Just stick with it and even if your skin isn't clear at the moment I'm sure you're feeling much better physically. It'll happen for you!

I think the sudden lifestyle change might be causing stress on your body and your mind.

Quiting smoking and dramatically changing your lifestyle can be stressful, espescially in the first week.

IMO. Maybe some running and lots of sleep??

Good for you to do all those changes. Out of curiosity, what's in those 'detox teas?' Sometimes those aren't all that good for you. What supplements are you taking?

If you're eating properly, I'd think the only supplements you might need to consider are zinc and fish oil. Those are the big two for regulating oil and skin. There are others, but those have the biggest effect for more people.

Good for you to do all those changes. Out of curiosity, what's in those 'detox teas?' Sometimes those aren't all that good for you. What supplements are you taking?

If you're eating properly, I'd think the only supplements you might need to consider are zinc and fish oil. Those are the big two for regulating oil and skin. There are others, but those have the biggest effect for more people.

What's an average day of your new diet?

Often people switch to a healthier diet, eat the fruits and vegetables that are recommended, but don't realize they could have intolerances to those foods they're eating more of, or ones they weren't eating before, which end up causing more inflammation in the body, in turn leading to more breakouts.

Often people switch to a healthier diet, eat the fruits and vegetables that are recommended, but don't realize they could have intolerances to those foods they're eating more of, or ones they weren't eating before, which end up causing more inflammation in the body, in turn leading to more breakouts.

Agreed. It was after I started eating an orange everyday believing it would be good for my skin when I realized that it was the cause of worst of my cystic acne. And if I'd tried diet changes without having learned I was allergic to oranges, it wouldn't have helped and I would have believed diet didn't affect acne.

I think it's more than likely your body ridding itself of the multitude of toxins from years of less than good food and smoking. Mine did exactly the same thing and it got so bad I thought about giving up but it will calm down. Mine took a good couple of weeks before I started to notice changes.

I think giving up fags by itself is a major trauma so make sure you're as nice as possible to yourself and treat yourself every day to things that make you happy whether that's aromatherapy massage, going to see a movie, a nice bath etc. Just treat yourself and try to stay calm and focused on how nice you are being to your body.

This is a common side effects of switching to a healthy diet - people often get worse, in all regards, before they get better. Just stick with it, and good for you for cleaning up your diet! Be sure you are eating lots of leafy greens too! :)

lol the same shit happens to me. I can eat massive amounts of sugar, soda and cereals without breaking out, but whenever i bump up my protein intake the big boys come out to play

Agreed. I was after I started eating an orange everyday believing it would be good for my skin when I realized that it was the cause of worst of my cystic acne. And if I'd tried diet changes without having learned I was allergic to oranges, it wouldn't have helped and I would have believed diet didn't affect acne.

2nd that notion. When I started eating more spinach and fruits my skin got 2-3x worse than it was, part of it may have been stress too. I think it's important for you to find food you do not have a reaction to that you ENJOY, because this will help reduce stress and give you a better sense of satisfaction from your meals. This food for me was baked potatoes :surprised: .

Perhaps your not eating as healthy foods as you think?

Drinking lots of water is not good, you should drink when you are thirsty, to much water will only drain you of electrolytes and minerals.

"Detox" teas are harmless at best and may contain unwanted toxins, they won't cleanse your body, your body does that by itself.

IMO lots of raw veggies is not going to offer much nourishment. I think they are mostly indigestible plant-matter, they also taste horrible.

What else have you been eating besides vegetables?

Drinking lots of water is not good, you should drink when you are thirsty, to much water will only drain you of electrolytes and minerals.

"Detox" teas are harmless at best and may contain unwanted toxins, they won't cleanse your body, your body does that by itself.

IMO lots of raw veggies is not going to offer much nourishment. I think they are mostly indigestible plant-matter, they also taste horrible.

Sorry, couldn't disagree more. Before I never used to drink water, the more I started drinking the more thirsty I got so I wouldn't rely on whatever your thirst levels are now. I would agree that drinking loads in one go isn't good, sipping throughout the day is better.

Also disagree strongly with raw vegetables offering you less nourishment, this would mean mother nature had it in for us big time. Furthermore, some of them taste ace!

Depending on how many cigs you smoked you're probably going to eat more as you're so used to doing something with your hands and mouth, this is why alot of people put on weight after giving up. My advice here is to find healthy snacky treats you like and have them e.g. dried fruit, nuts etc.

Sorry, couldn't disagree more. Before I never used to drink water, the more I started drinking the more thirsty I got so I wouldn't rely on whatever your thirst levels are now. I would agree that drinking loads in one go isn't good, sipping throughout the day is better.

Also disagree strongly with raw vegetables offering you less nourishment, this would mean mother nature had it in for us big time. Furthermore, some of them taste ace!

Depending on how many cigs you smoked you're probably going to eat more as you're so used to doing something with your hands and mouth, this is why alot of people put on weight after giving up. My advice here is to find healthy snacky treats you like and have them e.g. dried fruit, nuts etc.

But eating healthier snacks depending on which ones could still attribute to acne. If you have an intolerance to a food, a healthy one even nuts or seeds of fruits (lots of people are allergic to fruit) and you eat it, you may not have the typical reaction, but your body releases histamine that causes inflammation that leads to acne, which is an 'inflammatory disease'.

Within eight hours of drinking pure fruit juice I"ll get a pimple on my back. Within 12 hours of eating a pomegranate I got another pimple. This was on an elimination diet, so basically my skin was clear, but when I introduced certain fruits, particulary ones that grow on a tree, I got a reaction. It's not an insulin sensitivity issue because I introduced sugar back in and rice, and I had no reaction.

When I eat nuts, even ones higher in omega 3, and pistachios which are good for blood sugar, they increase the amount of oil on my face.

But eating healthier snacks depending on which ones could still attribute to acne. If you have an intolerance to a food, a healthy one even nuts or seeds of fruits (lots of people are allergic to fruit) and you eat it, you may not have the typical reaction, but your body releases histamine that causes inflammation that leads to acne, which is an 'inflammatory disease'.

Within eight hours of drinking pure fruit juice I"ll get a pimple on my back. Within 12 hours of eating a pomegranate I got another pimple. This was on an elimination diet, so basically my skin was clear, but when I introduced certain fruits, particulary ones that grow on a tree, I got a reaction. It's not an insulin sensitivity issue because I introduced sugar back in and rice, and I had no reaction.

When I eat nuts, even ones higher in omega 3, and pistachios which are good for blood sugar, they increase the amount of oil on my face.

Yep, couldn't agree more, I got a food intolerance test and this speeded up the 'what to avoid' category no end. Just so happened I am intolerant to the main contributors of acne so I had a relatively easy ride in knowing what to avoid.

There are plenty of healthy snacks you can use whilst giving up smoking even if you find out you are intolerant to a whole array of items. The point is that people gain weight in the short term after stopping smoking unless they can keep a close eye on what they are snacking on. I turned to chocolate, put on 2 stone - bad move but quitting the fags, best move ever!