Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have been hearing a little bit about mineral based makeup and how it is supposed to be great for pimple prone and acne skin. I am wondering if any others can vouch for using it and what brands are recommended. I live in Australia.

I have been a loyal user of Shiseido compact foundation for the past 15 years. In that time I have switched to Clinique, Almay and other less expensive brands such as Maybelline, Covergirl, etc but always come back to what I know and love. My Shiseido face makeup is non-comedogenic, dermatoligist-tested, has great colour, coverage and consistency. Wears well throughout the day.

I am wondering whether it would be worth giving mineral makeup a try.

I REALLY want to like mineral makeup, but I've tried 2 different kinds so far and am just really not impressed. Maybe someday I'll find some, but I haven't had much luck so far :(

Hey! I use Shiseido, too. Anyway, I think that as long as what you use works, then you should stick with it. I really don't see why people stray and try other things out just because it's really popular, seems better, or whatever. Don't waste your time and money jumping on a bandwagon because you already have something that's tried and true. And plus, not all mineral makeup is as great as it's hyped up to be. So it's made from minerals and is more "natural?" Big deal. They may omit a few ingredients, but they have others to replace them.

What exactly are you expecting from mineral makeup that you can't get out of regular makeup anyhow?

Makeup is makeup.

Mineral makeup is worth all the hype, for sure.

It takes some time to learn how to apply it correctly but once you get the hang of it its purely AMAZING.

Not all mineral makeups are created equal. Many powder foundations call themselves "mineral makeup" because they contain minerals, but they also contain other non-mineral ingredients too. Some of them are as bad or worse than many traditional foundations when it comes to irritating the skin or clogging pores.

I also use Everyday Minerals, which is 100% mineral makeup. I like it because as a powder it is great for my oily skin. It helps control shine, doesn't streak, and wears well throughout the day.

I also like that it has such few ingredients (just 4), because I notice the less ingredients a product has, the less likely it is to break me out. Plus those ingredients are all natural minerals which are unlikely to irritate the skin; few people have problems with mineral makeup breaking them out. I notice that when I conceal a pimple with my MMU it does not end up getting worse as it would with my former liquid foundations & creme concealers. Rather, my pimples heal much faster, as they might if I didn't wear any makeup at all.

Lastly, I get coverage comparable to liquid foundation, but it looks way more natural and feels much lighter. Since I like medium to heavy coverage, it's amazing how natural I still end up looking (and feeling! I hate when my face feels gunky from makeup). People often cannot tell if I am wearing makeup or not.

I agree that if you are very happy with your current foundation, then just stick with what you know works. I wouldn't have gone on the search for the perfect MMU and tried a gazillion samples if I was happy with my current foundation. Many years ago, I used an Almay stick foundation I loved, but it was discontinued and I haven't found anything I loved as much until Everyday Minerals.

Several companies offer free or low priced samples if you're interested in just trying it though. I always recommend Everyday Minerals also because it is my favorite. Their sample kits are free; you just pay for shipping. I might add that application & finding the right color can be trial and error. It takes some practice to get the hang of applying a powder makeup when you're used to liquid.

Definately. Mineral makeup is so much better than regular makeup, especially if you have to have problem skin and need to cover something up. I will never use anything else again.

I personally do not like mineral makeup.

that's cos you're doing Dan's regimen. Powder looks dreadful on dry skin

I personally do not like mineral makeup.

that's cos you're doing Dan's regimen. Powder looks dreadful on dry skin

lol, no not at all. In fact I do wear powder every day. Talc based powder works much better for me than the mineral powders. Mineral powders are too shiny for my oily skin, and they settle into fine lines and pores and seem to accentuate flaws. No thanks. :)

Give it a try. It's worth a try. Some mineral makeup sites give you sample kits for free and all you have to do is pay for shipping. Try everyday minerals.

Take it from someone who left what worked well in the past because of the mineral makeup hype, don't fix what isn't broken. I know the less application time and natural ingredients sound so appealing, but is it worth risking a break out just to try something new? It took me forever to get back to being clear and I will never stray from my time tested old brand again. My only concern these days is the brand I use kept changing their products.

I would suggest Loreal Mineral Makeup. Dunno if you're going for that natural look, but I ditched my old foundation for this. I'm a guy, so I HAVE to look natural, and this stuff deff. does the job. Looks so natural, good coverage. Oil-free, and non acnegenic. Love it. You won't break out from it. ;] Go get it NOW! :P