Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Yesterday, that is my 5th day on Accutane, I got my first (rather insignificant) nosebleed. Mind you I am dealing with cold/flu symptoms, so me blowing my nose violently for the duration of the day may have played into it. Anyways, I was wondering if those who experience nosebleeds on Accutane have any tips for preventing or minimizing them?

I had my first nosebleed during my second week, like at 4 morning or something, my bed was a mess xD.

My derm told me to put vaseline on my finger, and put it inside my nose, smells funny.

Take an oral nasal decongestant but aside from that try not to blow your nose and definitely stay away from nasal sprays.

Hope you feel better soon :)

I never got nosebleeds while on Accutane but these are the two main things that I read about doing...

One as mentioned is the Q-tip thing. Another thing which would work is when in the shower just blow your nose. There's so much dried up boogers when you're in the shower they become liquid so that clears up the nose a lot even though it's a bit disgusting.

Do NOT use a Q-Tip in your nose!

The nosebleeds from Accutane are a result from your mucus membranes in your nose not being adequately moisturized. When this happens, they become dry to the point of splitting and cracking and consequently bleed.

Cotton can scratch your mucus membranes and make the situation worse.

On the note of Vaseline, I wouldn't use it to continuously moisturize your nose. It seems to work but once the jelly is absorbed your nose often becomes dryer than it was without any moisturizers. Also, if you stick too much in there it can get inhaled into your lungs.

Heres the proper way to prevent and stop nose bleeds

Some things u might want to have on hand ...

- Saline spray

- Ayr Nasal Gel

- Rhinrais Nasal Gel

- Afrin

- Neil Med's Sinus Rinse

- Vaseline

- Lots of tissue

To stop the bleed

- Wipe the blood away and stick vaseline in your nose and all around the sides. This is because vaseline is so thick it'll temporarily moisturize and ease the bleeding. Yes, you'll have bloody vaseline, and it's not pretty.

- Use Neil Med's Sinus Rinse, it's a saline kit that shoots the solution into one side of your nose and out the other, it'll rinse your nasal passages clear of blood while the vaseline won't get washed away.

- Continue applying vaseline and rinsing until the water is no longer bloody. (you don't want dried blood in your nose)

- Spray some Afrin in there. Afrin shrinks blood vesels and will stop/prevent bleeding further.

- Wait a few minutes and make sure the bleeding has stopped and give your nasal passages a chance to dry a bit.

- Apply the Rhinaris or Ayr Nasal gel to your pinky and rub it in your nose.

- Spray the Saline into the areas you couldn't reach with your fingers (deep inside the nose).

To prevent nose bleeds

Use Ayr or Rhinaris Nasal Gel and Saline Spray several times a day. I got caught up with using vaseline at first too, and while it seemed to help ... I havent had any nosebleeds since I stopped using it and switched to the nasal gel.

The Gel is expensive, but its specifically designed for your nose (unlike vaseline) Rhinaris gel is pretty much the same thing but it comes in a tube double the sized for the same price. I haven't been able to find it in stores anywhere, but you can get it online. I'd load up on it ... It'll serve good in the long run.

Some other good things for Accutane users ...

Joints: Vitamin B Complex, Gelatin/Collagen Supplements, Fish Oils, Omega-3 Oils, Glucosamine, Chonrdritin, Water.

Lips: Dr. Dan's CortiBalm, Vaseline/Aquaphor, Blistex DCT, Water.

Eyes: Eye Moisturizing Drops, Water.

Other: Water!!!

Drink your water, it'll help you in the long run!!!

Good Luck!

I had my first nosebleed during my second week, like at 4 morning or something, my bed was a mess xD.

My derm told me to put vaseline on my finger, and put it inside my nose, smells funny.