Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RCRanger03

How do you best get your mind off acne?

Hey peoples I was thinking back to my old breakouts that always seem to persist until i could just put them out of my mind, and then the next thing i knew it i was clear. Things aren't so simple now that I have physically impairing acne, but it got me thinking of ways that I could take acne out of the limelight in my mind. I was wondering if yall had any suggestions.

1) Usually the most distracting for me is writing or reading, because you lose track of the world your in. My latest writing project however has been anything but distracting, because my protagonist has severe acne, and I'm constantly drawing on my own experiences.

2) Meditation ... I've not yet perfected it, because I'm a chronic fidgeter meaning at least one part of my body has to be in a motion of some sort at all times, but i'm definitely getting better.

3) Running ... I'm trying to force myself into this, but i'm not sure if it will work because I'm a lazy bum and I hate running unless someone is chasing or if im chasing someone.

4) Swimming ... I haven't tried this yet, but i was never a tremendous swimmer when i was younger because i have terrible lung capacity.

5) Video Games ... lol for the first time in my 18 years of life i own a console ... a Wii (my parents didn't allow video games in my house as a rule), and I must say they are distracting, but perhaps a bit too much.

Let me here yall's

I always play guitar to help me relax my mind when acne is getting me down; its a really good source for all emotions and often relaxes in a way that other mediums fail to do.

Besides that, I would definitely recommend running, as exercise is the perfect method to focus your mind on one single goal as all emotions tend to be purged almost instantly. i think this is partly due to the adrenaline whilst you are running and then the endorphin rush that comes after finishing, so its definitely something worth doing.

Besides this, I spend an enormous ammount of time with dog, as i feel he's the one person (i know he's not a person really but i think of him in that way) who looks at me and sees everything he likes without any pre-conceptions of what 'normal' people should be seen as. this is an enormous source of comofrt to me.

going out dancing always does the trick for me... or even just dancing by myself. i think two of the central themes here are music and physical activity.

i wouldn't recommend alcohol as a way to escape your problems, but sometimes it helps me loosen up and be social, which in turn lets me forget about my acne. someday i'll be able to loosen up and be social on my own, i hope! i'm working on it...

i wouldn't recommend alcohol as a way to escape your problems, but sometimes it helps me loosen up and be social, which in turn lets me forget about my acne. someday i'll be able to loosen up and be social on my own, i hope! i'm working on it...

that's what i was trying to say wonderbread... that i don't recommend it to drown your sorrows, but it's good for helping you to be more social :D guess i didn't phrase it too well.

I read all the artsy fartsy books. Books that won the pulitzer prize, man booker prize awards... sometimes Id look up and its been 3 or 4 hours reading..

My last job, all i did was read for 7 hours a day, it was the best. :)

The job I have, I download audio books.. and put them on my mp3 player.. and listen to it while working

I bought an xbox 360, but I get bored with that really easily, there goes 800 bucks down the crapper (^go the thomas crapper reference!) :)

Also hanging out with friends is fun.. like acting all stupid... *busts out a move, arms folded, looking off to the side*... awwwyes

In regard to being more social and outgoing, I totally agree. Except I actually would recomment alcohol or weed.

Just in small amounts of course. There's a world of difference between drinking/smoking for a buzz and drinking/smoking for being drunk/stoned.

Being buzzed off alcohol is nice because it lets you be a little less careless and more talkative.

I had a little pot the other day and it gave me a fantastic sense of wanting to be around people and conversing with them and asking questions and saying what was on my mind.

Working gets my mind off my acne. Im to busy trying to make the store look nice and getting price checks to think about my skin. Plus my mind is in another world when im at work. Also driving, listening to music and watching a good movie helps me. And of course shopping

In regard to being more social and outgoing, I totally agree. Except I actually would recomment alcohol or weed.

Just in small amounts of course. There's a world of difference between drinking/smoking for a buzz and drinking/smoking for being drunk/stoned.

Being buzzed off alcohol is nice because it lets you be a little less careless and more talkative.

I had a little pot the other day and it gave me a fantastic sense of wanting to be around people and conversing with them and asking questions and saying what was on my mind.

Lol the major problem with that is back in my dark days of high school I had a mighty intemperance to those things that I was very lucky to escape with my life. No I can't even take a sip of alcohol, and if I smell something dank I get out of the building, because I dont want to fall back into it.

I'm very self concious about dancing, but its mainly because i only excel at white man dances such as the sprinkler, the dice roll, the yosemite sam, the lawnmower. I go could go on and on, but while my collection i extensive they arent really useful unless its a room full of white people or a bunch of my friends, and none of my friends dance for fun.

Music however is one i forgot. I can get lost in a Mozart's Marriage of Figaro or Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture. As long as it has a violin i melt away into eternity ..... until it finished and my ipod switches to like House of Pain "Jump Around"

Thats excellent you've read man booker winners. I've read God of Small Things by Arundati Roy. I try and read the short list before they announce it so I can try and guess the winner, but mine never win lol. Last year I read Carry me down, and In the country of men. This year I didn't get to read any which was a bummer.

I thought about reading The Road based completely on it winning the Pulitzer, but I forced myself to read All The Pretty Horses and it just wasn't my style ... I'm not sure if it was Mccarthy's writing or what, but theres so many books to read I just can't bring myself to.

I read a lot, non-fiction stuff.

Brazilian Adventure by Peter Fleming, I highly recommend it. I adore

that book, I'm a great lover of exploration :wub:

Exercise helps alot when I can. Sitting down to a few comedy DVDs or playing video games with friends or my brother really makes me forget about it.

Also, I enjoy reading up on political philosophy and drawing as I can waste away hours doing this without my skin even entering my mind. Purposely not looking in mirror foor few days can help to forget about it also.

Whenever I'm having a crappy day I'll either curl up with a good book. Currently it's "Cat's Cradle" (I am devouring Vonnegut like there is no tomorrow). Sometimes I'll cook, but very often this is not pretty for me or my kitchen. I also find that painting is very soothing. I've got a huge canvass that I have been working on for about 3 years. It's got layers and layers, and I'll just keep adding onto it. Pretty cool.

I tell myself I can see, hear, laugh, which I consider a blessing. But more often I admit I'm smarter than the majority of the people i encounter :dance:

So basically, decent intelligence but screwed up appearance, it evens out. And I prefer intelligence anyway, so atleast I'm almost to perfection. That often cheers me up. It's always good to observe all of your qualities.

I also take notice of all the positive reactions I get from people, which is pretty often so hey.