Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Cubsfan

Acne Vs Diet study

Guest Cubsfan

I keep hearing "there's no scientific evidence to suggest diet causes acne"

anybody actually seen the study? I want to see if its legit.

Although food does not cause acne, as to whether certain diets can aggravate acne in a portion of the people with acne is controversial, even among respected university dermatologists. Some say no, some say yes, but there is current research at the university level on the subject. there is much anecdotal evidence to suggest that there is a link between certain foods and aggravation of acne in some people.

But since my acne flairs whenever I eat certain foods, I think my diet does affect mine. There are thousands of people who say the same. And I can find as many respected dermatologists who say its possible, as you can find that say it isnt. The bottom line is it hasnt been proved one way or the other as of yet. And if it had already been proven, there would not be current renewed research in the area.

I keep hearing \"there's no scientific evidence to suggest diet causes acne\"

anybody actually seen the study? I want to see if its legit.

Only thing I know it's to STAY AWAY from Iodine. That s*** will cause you break up like crazy.

Here is a link to an interesting study linking the western diet with acne:

http://www.hon.ch/News/HSN/510803.html

I still can't find the original study that was done years ago which concluded no link with acne and diet. Odd, considering it is so widely cited.... :-k

Bottom line I think is regardless of what these studies say if you are relatively clear skinned and every time you eat a certain thing you break out like crazy, stop eating that thing! Just seems like common sense to me.

Anna

Guest Cubsfan

Thanks for the article anna.

It makes so much sense. I always wondered why people in other parts of the world don't have acne. I feel like punching the idiot that did the orignal study.

Optometrists use to believe that wearing glasses isn't good for the eyes in the long-term but now they believe the opposite...wearing glasses may be beneficial to the eyes as it re-ligns the eyes' focus or something like that.

So what are the things you should and shouldn't eat?

here's my list so far

Should:

Fresh fruits and vegetables

lean meat, fish

shouldn't

processed food like cereal, bread, chocolate, pizza

contents containing sugar, starches

ahhh f*** it I'm gonna go live with a PNG tribe for a year.

Guest Cubsfan

one more thing if diet doesn't cause acne then why do supplements like vitamin a and vitamin b5 work? those supplements are put into the mouth and it constitues as a diet.

Guest Cubsfan

you guys want to do our own little study on this?

we'll go on a special diet and report here.

here's my diet I started a few days ago.

breakfast:

oats/poridge with honey, corn cob, carrot

fruits, water or orange juice (squeezed oranges)

Lunch

carrot, fruits, pasta, water or juice

Dinner:

red meat, oil to use: either flaxseed oil or extra virgin oil

no sugar whatsoever

or salmon

fruits, veggies, water or juice

Yesterday I was bursting with energy.

Sounds good to me. Like I posted before... I did the healthy thing for

one entire year. That was the same time my acne was the worst it's

ever been.

I'm doing a modified version of Atkins, at the moment - Let's see how

long before I break out.

I am coming round to believing that acne and diet are linked. There is a heap of conflicting research out there. So ultimately you've gotta trawl throught it and distill some kind of conclusion for yourself. This week I've cut all refined sugar...only got a bit of lactose from milk and fructose from fruit and vege. I've also added in probiotic supplements. Will post back (if I remember biggrin.gif ) in a couple of weeks. I can definitely say that cutting the sugar made a noticeable difference to my energy levels after the first day.

The reason I don't believe that diet causes acne is because some people eat junk, but never get acne. I do believe that diet can be a factor in certain cases. Some people may be sensitive or allergic to certain foods, and therefore it affects them. Just my personal opinion.

Hi guys,

I just made a post about this under the "I don't understand thread." I am a relative newcomer to this board; I'm from another board. I've been visiting this other board for two months, and I hate to tell you guys DIET is all we talk about over there. I'm not sure if I can mention the other Board, so I wont. IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHY SOME PEOPLE EAT CRAP AND DON'T HAVE ACNE THIS IS THE ANSWER: YOUR skin is your largest organ, and it has an excretory function. That means it expels waste as a result of metabolism. With acne sufferers the skin's hormone receptors are merely more sensitive. Therefore even small imbalances give you acne; put in other words, acne sufferers are more delicate, so they have to be more careful with things as fundamental as food. The study that Anna mentioned is what you want to get your hands on. What causes acne in layman's terms is the following: excess skin cell growth; poor skin cell shedding; androgen provoked increase in sebum production; and, the bacteria that is present on everyone's skin. Guess what causes all of this? FOOD!!!!!!!

WHY IS THERE SUCH A DIFFERENCE IN ACNE INCIDENCE RATES BETWEEN WESTERNIZED AND NON-WESTERNIZED SOCIETIES? FOOD!!

WHY IS ACNE MORE PREVALENT NOW!! EATING MORE OF THE BAD FOOD NOW!!

All the precursors that I mentioned above are fuelled by androgens. The diets that we in the West eat nowadays have an androgenic effect. What this all means is that you obvioulsy can't get rid of all your androgens, but you can avoid food which leads to an excess production of androgens. From what I have been taught Insulin and IGF (Insulin like growth factor) are the two big culprits. That's the simple truth. People eating a lot of carbs, which is most people have too much Insulin and IGF in their system. Insulin and IGF are what influence the above mentioned acne precursors. It's simple change what you eat, and you change the levels of Insulin and IGF in your body. This will lower your acne.

Another observation: I have eaten all sorts of bad things and my skin wasn't too bad, then I became a vegetarian and eat wonderful stuff and got horrible cystic acne. It wasn't "Purging" because this was a few years later.

Well, I eat mostly fruits. vegetables, whole grains, and beans. No meat, no dairy (even a little butter gives me breakouts), no tortilla chips, and no white sugar.

Hi All,

Royal, I agree this isn't directly related to scar treatment, but the bottom line is that if we hadn't had acne we wouldn't have acne scars so please indulge us.

I think the toxins we have ingested over out lifetime can linger for a long time in our fat cells. Also the impacts from hormone exposure last a long time. Think about men who undergo sex changes. They start taking estrogen and their beards thin out, they start developing breast tissue and their skin softens. These changes don't go away instantly when they stop taking estrogen. Some of the changes are permanent.

Think about natives who have never drank milk or eaten meat from cows who were fed growth hormones nor ever drank or bathed in chlorinated or flourinated water. It has to have had some impact. Not even a blackhead in the whole bunch!!!!! My GOSH!

Although I agree, my skin is sensitive to many things. I think we acne suffers are like Ferrari's and if you give us bad fuel we will sputter to the side of the road.

Also, I really think it has to do with an inability to process fat. My cholesterol level is only 140 (pretty low) so any fat I eat must be going somewhere. My best guess is that it goes out my pores. My husband's cholesterol level is quite high and he never gets a blemish.

Just my thoughts!

Anna

Up until a few weeks ago I used to believe there was absolutely no connection between diet and acne. But I have been doing a whole lot of digging amongst scarce research, plenty of unscientific speculation and using my commonsense and intuition to make my own determination. I believe there are 2 major issues underpinning the rise in various illnesses including acne.

1) Lowered immunity...ie: too many antibiotics, an environment purged of bacteria resulting in too little bactrial/antibody imprinting resulting in a rise of auto immune illnesses, allergies etc

2) A diet across the board high in calories and sugar and low in nutrition and lacking in a range of vitamins. It is really interesting to get a handle on what vitaimin/mineral defiencies acne sufferers typically have and to track back to determine what food sources might provide them.

I certainly do no believe that acne sufferers eat "worse" relative to any other group. In fact I would imagine that just as acne sufferers have cleaner than average skin they probably are more conservative in their consumption of "bad" foods. But I do believe sensitivity to food, hormones, environment are played out through our skin in the first instance.

I am convinced that there is a link. this is becoming clearer to me and its just trial and error for the individual to work out what makes your skin worse!!! I have cut out dairy from my diet since new year, kind of as an experiment as i read it is a possible cause. within the first week my skin was better, less red and angry. and in comparison to before, the pimples not as big and pussy. my skin seems calmer. i have been quite strict with it - switched from tea and coffee to green tea even! no yoghurt, no cheese. i do occassionally have some DARK choc though, which i know has dairy in it but not as much as milk choc! i dont know it makes me feel less clogged up. i am wanting to investigate other foods now, bread etc, now that i feel cutting out dairy has made a difference. also, drinking water with fresh lemon juice in it i think helps clear your system!

if bread makes my acne worse i will still eat it...i am addicted to bread MMMmmmmmmmm freshly baked with butter...im salivating..... =P~ get me a tissue