Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dreaming

Is Benzel Peroxide bad for your skin?

Hi I just recently started the acne.org regimen and I heard from a friend that has done the exact same regimen that Benzel Peroxide can be really bad for your skin? He says that it makes your skin dependent on it and loses its effectiveness over time? Is this true? Please help me!

Well it depends, because BP doesn't work for everyone. Some people with sensitive skin shouldnt use BP as it will dry out the face pretty bad, not to mention the redness and swelling.

And in my opinion, anything that is not natural, ie chemicals such as BP are bad for your skin.

From http://www.acne.org/faq.html:

Q: Will my skin become resistant to the beneficial effect of BP?

A: Propionibacterium Acnes (P. Acnes), the bacteria in acne lesions, can not survive in the presence of oxygen. BP creates oxygen. Therefore, it is physically impossible for this bacteria to develop a resistance. If the Regimen works at first, it should always work.

Well, Benzoyl peroxide releases free radicals into the skin, which some people will say is damaging to your skin and causes premature aging, but having acne also naturally releases free radicals into your skin which ages you. So it is no more damaging in that sence than living with acne. However if your skin does not adjust to it within a few weeks then try something else, maybe a retinol creme and some AHA and BHA treatment.

Its never a good idea to let it overdry your skin, if you find it too irritating try mixing it with moisturizer or keeping it on for 15 mins and then washing it off.

I've stopped using BP for months.. and I've never looked back. My skin is now looking better than when I was using BP.

Chemicals kill your skin!

I use BP without problems. The key is moisturizing and maintaining the balance of hydration. PS: I'm 40. There are several other members of my age who also use BP and whose skin is lovely. One has used BP off and on for 20 years and she doesn't even look like she's in her late 20's but is 37.

I've actually found that between Dan's gentle cleanser and the 2.5 BP dose (as opposed to the 10% I was using before) has actually INCREASED it's effectiveness over time. No previous regimen had ever helped even out my skin tone, and yet through continued use (going on two years now) of the DKR, my skin IS evening out.

BP is the worst thing you could put on your skin. have you noticed that older people (30, 40 years old) are the ones still breaking out because they've become so dependent on bp. it kills your skin.

I use BP as a highly effective spot treatment. If I don't have any really nasty pimples or I'm not in a hurry to clear up then I stay away from it. I have great results, but it can bleach clothing and I think it might increase sensitivity to sunlight, so I only apply it at night.

After a few months I determined BP wasn't worth using on my skin. It did stop the breakouts, but it made the red marks and my skin overall look worse than before, even after months of using it. Also, I had no luck with the BP / Moisturizer combo, since the moisturizer would just sit atop of the BP and do virtually nothing. Both also turned my skin red. My skin is just too sensitive to it. I can see how people with less sensitive skin might love it though

Can't say for sure if it's bad or not. I really don't think it's any worse than other acne products you can put on your face

BP managed to fuck up my skin, and it's remained like that pretty much. i thought that when i got off of the BP i would still have problems but at least my skin would be able to heal up a bit.

turns out i was completely wrong, i'm personally gonna try to get back with BP.

Some people have problems with BP, while others do not. In some cases people have problems because they are allergic or particularly sensitive. In other cases they have problems because they are using BP incorrectly (too much, too strong, starting off with nightly applications too quickly, etc.) or they are using a poorly formulated product (not all BP products are created equal). And contrary to what some people here believe, there is no research indicating a link between BP and aging of the skin or BP use and cancer in humans.

What may happen with BP (or with any acne product) is that your skin may adapt to the product and it may become less effective over time. If this happens, you can increase the strength of the acne product, or the frequency of application. Or you can try working in a new product that your skin hasn't been exposed to before (retinoids. glycolic acid, etc.). Skin has an amazing ability to adapt or adjust to things that are applied to it, so fighting acne is sometimes a challenge when you have to stay one step ahead of the skin's adaptive process.