Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi everyone, I'm new posting on here but I have been lurking for about a year now. I have been researching for about a year now on the best way to control acne because we all know there is no cure for acne and whoever tells you they can offer you a cure is just after your money.

First a little about me. I'm a 28 year old female and I have suffered (and mean suffered) from acne sine I was about 14. I have tried everything, topicals, antibiotics chinese medicine, online ebooks, and finaly accutane. Actually after accutane I was clear for about 4 months but it made me realise there is no cure.

Enough about me. Here is what I have found really works on clearing acne and keeping skin clear.

There are many factors which influence how acne occurs, these have to do with outside your skin and on the inside too. So you have to take care of both to keep your skin clear and beautiful. And you do not have to dramatically change your lifestyle for those of you who are worried about having to follow a expensive organic diet.

INSIDE:

Detoxify your insides by;

1)Drinking 8-12 glasses of water a day, the more you should drink and the more sugar and salt you intake the more water you should drink. Trust me this works big time! Forget forking out loads of money for expensive detox plans, the best detox substance is free and running from our taps, I have read endless studies on this this past year! I have put this at number one because I honestly believe it helps every other step work.

2)Steam your face. As your body detoxifies itself (If you do not drink enough water) the toxins will be excreated through your skin instead of through your urine. Your kidneys clean your blood and if your blood returns to your skin unclean it will dump its waste there!

Steam every other night with 3 tablespoons of sea salt stirred into boiling water, for around 15 minutes. Use a Bentonite mask once a week after you steam (only once a week or you will dry your skin out and that will make your acne worse and geperdise your regime!)

3)Take a "detox bath" every day for 30 mins (try this for the first month) hot water ( but not too hot) and add 1 cup of baking soda and some ginger. The ginger wil open up your pores and the baking soda will detox. Dry Brush your body before you go into the bath, use a normal body brush and use long strokes towards your heart. This will help drain you lymphatic system and give your detox a boost!

4)Try to go to a steam room or sauna once or twice a week if you can. This is a trusted and ancient way of sweating out toxins from your body.

5)Take omega 3 oil capsules every day, 1 capsule of cod liver oil, 1 evening primrose oil, 1 star flower oil.

6)Take a good multi vitamin which contains zinc, vitamin A and chronium. Take all this with your largest meal to help good absorption.

7)If you do not have a high fibre diet, take a fibre supplement but not with your vitamins because this will make absorption more difficult.

8)Apple cider vinigar is great for detoxifying your body, put 1-2 table spoons into you juice in the morning.

OUTSIDE.

1)Correct your pore size! Salicylic acid face wash in the morning not only penetrates deep into the pore to clear it out, it also refines your pores, making it more difficult to get blocked. Sal Acid is also oil soluble making it great for oily skin!

2)Exfoliate! Alpha Hydroxyl Acid is great at this, it is water soluble, so use this at night and Sal Acid in the morning.

3)Kill Bacteria! BP does this but its too irritatin. A great alternative which also helps with red marks and hyperpigmentation is Hydrgen peroxide. Use this as a toner, 3% is perfectly safe for skin. It will sting at first but that will wear off in about two weeks.

4)Moisturize! Use a good moisturizer with contains jojoba oil, this is a natural oil which actually tricks the skin into producing less oil (Nivea light moisturizer is great and so is Dan's moisturiser)

When you moisturize massage your face gently making sure your skin does not move under your fingertips, use circular motions and be gentle! your fingers are made of protein and great for exfoliating, do it for a minute and not longer.

5)for more moderate severe acne I recommend using a retinol cream at night, start off using only twice a week and build up to every night (build it up over 3 months or you will irritate your skin)

6)Protect your skin from the sun! UV rays will ruin every step you take to clear your skin if you dont use a good quality sun cream 30+SPF please!

7)Ok girls, make up. It will clog your pores! But, mineral make up is actually good for your skin! Bare minerals is good, I peronally use Lily Lolo, ther have a wide range of colours and also send samples! www.lilylolo.co.uk

8)buy 7 new pillowcases and change your pillowcase every night, at the end of the week put them all into the washing machine and do an extra rinse just to get rid of all the detergent.

BIG NO NOs

Never scrub your face, use a cloth or pads to exfoliate!!!! Please please please stop doing this, its probably the reason your skin is not clearing up. The Sal acid and AHA will do a great job of exfoliating. You will just irritate your skin and cause more acne. These causae tiny tears on your skin which you cannot see but bacteria will grow very easily in them and cause more acne. Some of us think we can scrub out acne away, but all we do is scrub out health skin away give more little homes for bacteria!

Dont piss your skin off or it will piss you off!

So there you have it. Please take all these steps no leaving anything out and please keep us all posted!

Hi, thanks for the reply. Well I have researched into the water thing and although I'm not a doctor, I have been told that unless you are an athlete or a newborn baby the chances of water intoxication (I think i've spelt that right) are pretty slim. Our kidneys are capable of processing 15 litters a day! And as long as you dont drink 20 glasses all at once and overdo it with the sauna, I thinks it will be ok. But if you are worried guys just do 8-12 glasses a day.

God bless

Dr neal you are quite right about doing no harm. So I have edited my post to 8-12 glasses a day not 20 as I origionally said. Thanks for the advice!

Hi, thanks for the reply. Well I have researched into the water thing and although I'm not a doctor, I have been told that unless you are an athlete or a newborn baby the chances of water intoxication (I think i've spelt that right) are pretty slim. Our kidneys are capable of processing 15 litters a day! And as long as you dont drink 20 glasses all at once and overdo it with the sauna, I thinks it will be ok. But if you are worried guys just do 8-12 glasses a day.

God bless

God bless

A woman in Sacramento died after participating in a radio station contest that involved drinking a lot of water. She died from water intoxication, and several other contestants became very ill from drinking too much water. So, it can happen to healthy, young adults.

Thanks willow. Yeah I tend to add salt into much of what I eat (not great I know)Thats why I drink so much water, but its wise to be careful.

By the way guys, I find 1-2% AHA and BHA work best rather than the peels. And they're great for red marks and hyperpigmentation.

Another point I forgot to mention was to use an antioxidant gel before moisturizing a good example is Moisture Defense Antioxidant Hydrating Gel (1 oz)

MD Formulations from www.dermadoctor.com

A good example of retinoid cream is Retinol ME 0.30% (1 oz) Neova, also from www.dermadoctor.com, its great because it is microencapsulated, meaning it is only activated when it hits the skin, keeping it fresher for longer, it also comes in a nice little pump container. Start with the cleansers before you add this to your regime, unless you have already been using AHAs and BHAs. Start with ther retinoin (twice a week to begin with ) after about a week on the cleansers and moisturizers.

A good example of a cleansers is 'Garnier Pure purifying foaming cleanser, soap free' to wash your face in the morning which contains salicylic acid and Aqua Glycolic cleanser at night which contains Alpha hydroxyl acid.

Please be kind to your skin, do not touch it with dirty fingers, clean your hand thoroughly before you even begin cleaning your face! Disinfect your make up brushes by rubbing them over a cotton pad soaked in surgical spirit. If you use foundation (I would suggest switching to mineral powder) replace applicators regularly, like every two weeks.

Be kind to your skin and it will be kind to you!

God Bless

Can I also suggest another thing when it comes to this simple detox. The fibre supplement (you can use husks from the pharmacy) will make you go to the toilet more often, which is good because again you are eliminating toxins which would have left via your pores. Make sure you go to the toilet as soon as you feel like it, dont hold it or the toxins will be absorbed back into your bloodstream to leave through your skin. Your body likes to follow the rules but if you make it imposible it will take the next best option to keep you alive.

God Bless

A woman in Sacramento died after participating in a radio station contest that involved drinking a lot of water. She died from water intoxication, and several other contestants became very ill from drinking too much water. So, it can happen to healthy, young adults.

you forgot to mention that she was not allowed to use the restroom as per contest rules

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16614865/

God bless

was jsut wondering i used to take really hot showers, i liked them...lol

But anyways i was just wondering why my pimples would come to a head much faster compared to now(dont take hot showers anymore). And as well are pimples coming to a head good?

Talking about inflammed pimples here

Well the pus that comes to the head of the spot is essentially cells that have engulfed the harmful bacteria. Macrophages etc. The reason the spot comes to a head is a combination of the heat causing a rise in your body temperature having a sort of 'fever-like' effect on your immune system, and the steam opening up your pores allowing the pus to be ejected. The heat of the steam also has an effect of killing the bacterial very quickly. I would not recommend a dry sauna as that will not aid in the detox. Also you feel more relaxed less stressed which does wonders for your whole system.

Well the pus that comes to the head of the spot is essentially cells that have engulfed the harmful bacteria. Macrophages etc. The reason the spot comes to a head is a combination of the heat causing a rise in your body temperature having a sort of 'fever-like' effect on your immune system, and the steam opening up your pores allowing the pus to be ejected. The heat of the steam also has an effect of killing the bacterial very quickly. I would not recommend a dry sauna as that will not aid in the detox. Also you feel more relaxed less stressed which does wonders for your whole system.

God bless

Yeah, it's all about diluting the electrolytes in your body. My insane aunt (schizofrenic) has gone to the hospital multiple times because of water intoxication. And 20 glasses worth a day should be fine as long as you're intaking more electrolytes as you eat...which most everybody is.

My aunt drank like 10 gallons or something nutty and has lived, multiple times.. So 20 glasses really isn't much.

Hello wynne, yes the beauty industry tell us hydrogen peroxide is bad for our skin, it will age us, it produces free radicals etc etc. But when you imagine use amounts of free radical damage our bodies are subject to everyday you begin to wonder. I mean our skin produces vast amounts of Hydrogen peroxide naturally when we have an acne breakout. So its is a natural substance produced in our cells to kill bacterial. By the way it has similar properties to BP except hydrogen peroxide disintergrates upon application to oxygen and water, that is why it is much less drying. Have you seen the latest craze of 'oxygen' cream? Yup, its hydrogen peroxide. I do recommend using an antioxidant cream and antioxidants such as vitamin A, C, E, D, zinc to protect your skin and indeed your whole body from free radical damage, and of course wear a sun-block as the sun will age you much faster than anything you put on your skin.