Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KarateKld

Does Low Glycemic Foods Help Acne?

Hi,

I was wondering about the recent report about low glycemic foods helping acne patients. I guess I don't understand how this could help acne. I have a glycemic index chart which tells me the GI of low,medium, and high foods.

Some of the low gi foods are:

1.Roasted and salted peanuts - 14

2.Cherries - 22

3.Grapefruit - 25

4.Whole Milk - 27

5.Skimmed Milk - 32

6.Fettucine Pasta - 32

7.Low-fat yogurt - 33

8.Pears - 38

9.Apples - 38

10.Apple juice, unsweetened - 40

It would appear that alot of these foods would aggravate acne. One thing that I have found with following my regimen is that it is extremely difficult. I am a rather thin person. I weigh 140lbs and am 6'1". Most people that I know that are thin like me suffer from acne. The hard thing about my regimen in my last post is trying to get enough nutrients in my diet such as protein, amino acids, carbs, and the big one is calories. My bmi is actually considered underweight. To eat the vegetarian diet that I have been on it is almost impossible to eat the recommended 2,500 calories I need a day. I have also done some research on soy and found that it is not very good for humans. http://www.mercola.com/article/soy/index.htm has some great articles on soy. After reading many of them I have decided soy is not what everyone has made it out to be. Another interesting thing that I have been thinking about is fruit. Fruit is basically fructose. Fructose being a natural sugar. That would be high glycemic. Wouldn't it make sense to avoid most fruit becuase of insulin spikes in the blood stream? Another thing is how come people that do drink pasteurized dairy products and eat sugar do not break out in acne. Yeah I have heard that people can tolerate some foods better than others and that there organs work better, but where is the scientific evidence for this? Could it be that the people that eat anything they want are just happier people and don't focus on there skin like we do? Maby it is psychological? Another thing is if underweight people are just deficient in so much stuff that there skin suffers. About 3 or 4 years ago my skin looked alot younger and better than it does today. This is when I was living at my parents house. My mom would cook meals everyday. I would drink milk, eat eggs, we would have a salad at dinner time with any kind of salad dressing, and we would eat all kinds of meat. I would have popcorn, ice cream, yogurt, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, cereal, and homemade desserts. I would drink alot of water from the well that they have. To prove that I had really great skin I have a picture. http://img101.imagevenue.com/img.php?image...m_122_940lo.jpg When I lived home I wasn't so obsessed with what I was eating my skin health. People even today tell me that I look like im 15 or 16 when I am really 21. My brothers don't have acne and there skin is nice too. And the people from korea have like flawless skin, but they eat whatever. If it really has to do with the kidneys and liver then wouldn't it make sense to take the herbs and supplements to build the kidneys and liver and get them working again? There is just so many questions that don't make sense when it comes to acne.

High blood glucose levels stimulate hormone production. It also causes inflammation. Fiber, protein, and fats help prevent spikes so the GI of the entire meal is what matters. And fruit is full of fiber along with tons of nutrients, so should be one of the last things on your list to avoid. Start with sugar and white flour filled foods.

Also, people with clear skin who eat junk don't necessarily have healthier organs. Their bodies may have just chosen other use the few nutrients that are in the typical diet on different processes. They probably have other problems.

High blood glucose levels stimulate hormone production.

The opposite may actually be true for men according to this study

Decreased testosterone and dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate concentrations are associated with increased insulin and glucose concentrations in nondiabetic men.

Haffner SM, Valdez RA, Mykkänen L, Stern MP, Katz MS.

Department of Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio 78284.

Although many studies indicate that increased androgenicity is associated with insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia in both premenopausal and postmenopausal women, relatively few data are available on this relationship in men. We examined the association of sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG), total and free testosterone, dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEA-SO4), and estradiol to glucose and insulin concentrations before and during an oral glucose tolerance test in 178 men from the San Antonio Heart Study, a population-based study of diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Total and free testosterone and DHEA-SO4 were significantly inversely associated with insulin concentrations. Free testosterone and DHEA-SO4 were also significantly inversely correlated with glucose concentrations. SHBG was weakly positively associated with glucose concentrations. Estradiol was not related to glucose or insulin concentrations. After adjustment for age, obesity, and body fat distribution, insulin concentrations remained significantly inversely correlated with free testosterone (r = -.23), total testosterone (r = -.21), and DHEA-SO4 (r = -.21; all P < .01). In conclusion, we observed that increased testosterone and DHEA-SO4 are associated with lower insulin concentrations in men. This is in striking contrast to women, where increased androgenicity is associated with insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia.