Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My acne is very mild. Except for the occasional mild breakout, I usually only deal with red marks, which I DESPISE (don't we all). I've been wanting to get off BP for a while now so my red marks can heal faster. I just have the feeling that the BP isn't really doing anything. I still get the occasional breakout, and even when I miss an application my skin is fine. Right now I apply BP all over my face only at night. So I'm thinking... If I stopped using BP altogether, how long would it take for me to know whether the BP was doing anything for me? Like, if I was still clear for a week after stopping BP, would that mean I really don't need to use it? Or will it take longer for me to know?

Another option is using BP less frequently, maybe 2-3 times a week. Would the BP still prevent breakouts or would such infrequent use be totally pointless?

Am I making a stupid move here? I would hate to break out from this and be stuck with a whole new batch of red marks. Maybe I should be glad I only deal with red marks and not active acne... I'm just SO SICK of wearing make up. Thanks for any advice you might have.

By the way, I would still be using Paula's Choice 2% BHA Gel at night and Alpha Hydrox 10% AHA Lotion in the morning. In case that influences your opinion. :)

Simple. what was your skin like BEFORE you started using BP? was it the same or worse? if it was the same, then i guess BP isn't doing anything for you. if it was worse, then BP is working, and you're probably still breaking out because you're not applying enough BP (note the website suggests increasing dosage over a period of a couple weeks)

My acne is very mild. Except for the occasional mild breakout, I usually only deal with red marks, which I DESPISE (don't we all). I've been wanting to get off BP for a while now so my red marks can heal faster. I just have the feeling that the BP isn't really doing anything. I still get the occasional breakout, and even when I miss an application my skin is fine. Right now I apply BP all over my face only at night. So I'm thinking... If I stopped using BP altogether, how long would it take for me to know whether the BP was doing anything for me? Like, if I was still clear for a week after stopping BP, would that mean I really don't need to use it? Or will it take longer for me to know?

Another option is using BP less frequently, maybe 2-3 times a week. Would the BP still prevent breakouts or would such infrequent use be totally pointless?

Am I making a stupid move here? I would hate to break out from this and be stuck with a whole new batch of red marks. Maybe I should be glad I only deal with red marks and not active acne... I'm just SO SICK of wearing make up. Thanks for any advice you might have.

By the way, I would still be using Paula's Choice 2% BHA Gel at night and Alpha Hydrox 10% AHA Lotion in the morning. In case that influences your opinion. :)

that's very encouraging! what kind of acne did you have before? if you were using BP i assume it was inflamed, as mine usually is. i think i will start using BP every other night, and see if i can cut back slowly from there. seems safer. :)

by the way, what brand AHA lotion do you use? you don't get any irritation from 20%?

thanks for the replies.

I would have probably around 4-5 inflamed pimples on a given day and that was at its worst point. I have been using MaMa lotion. I eased into it slowly-I started only using it twice a week. I flaked a little at first because it was shedding the old skin, but there was no irritation or redness. My skin has already adjusted to it and its been only a month. Its sounds like a really aggressive treatment, but it doesn't feel that way to me. I haven't flaked from using it since the first week. A lot of people give MaMa a bad rap-but its because they aren't easing into it. You can't just start using 20% AHA everyday! And a lot of people think its okay to just layer it over a pimple-but this will cause peeling. My skin has been getting better and better since I stopped the BP and I don't think that is a coincidence. There are a lot of great AHA products out there. I like MaMa but I am sure there are other products that are just as good.

I think my intolerance towards BP is increasing by the day. Now, if it even TOUCHES my skin i get red. I put a glob of it on and around zits and now I have a ring of red where it came in contact with my skin. :angry: I look like a weird Dalmatian or spotted creature of some sort.

I only use BP if I notice a few pimples popping up here and there. It ususally gets rid of them in about 2 to 3 days. I was having trouble getting rid of the red marks when I was using it everyday, and my skin had cleared up beautifully. So I gradually stopped using it all the time and eventually cut down to use when needed. And I am doing fine. Sudocrem is great for clearing up red marks by the way, its wonderful stuff!

I think my intolerance towards BP is increasing by the day. Now, if it even TOUCHES my skin i get red. I put a glob of it on and around zits and now I have a ring of red where it came in contact with my skin. :angry: I look like a weird Dalmatian or spotted creature of some sort.

i plan on getting off bp in the next month or so. i will substitute bp with tea tree oil gel.

hope this helps.

I am new to the regimen but here's my thought on it and I hope it can be of some help.

If it takes several weeksto step upto using BP fully, then it should be equally as important to be cautious when stepping down.

Follow the BP regimen backwards and you should in theory be able to see if being off bp (or an alternative) works for you.

Does Benzoyl Peroxide make acne worse the first few days? Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I'm really curious if it does because after 4 days of using it I got a bunch of whiteheads. Should I get off of it?

Does Benzoyl Peroxide make acne worse the first few days? Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I'm really curious if it does because after 4 days of using it I got a bunch of whiteheads. Should I get off of it?