Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Michaeld733

adding proactive toner

im going to start using the proactiv toner because i hear that it is a great redmark remover because it contains glycolic acid, witch hazel and aloe vera. i just need help knowing when the right time is to apply it... any suggestions?

You don't really need to use the toner to get those benefits. You can just add an AHA lotion (Alpha Hydrox or Neutrogena Healthy Skin) and a 100% aloe vera gel (Fruit of the Earth) to your regimen. Witch hazel is supposed to be irritating to your skin.

But to answer your question, I would say before you add BP.

I disagree, I would say after. I can't say anything about whether or not to use that toner, I don't know enough about it - but I would put it on before or after the moisturizer (before if it's drying at all). I CAN tell you that as far as glycoic acid red mark treatments, Neutrogena Healthy Skin Lotion with AHA is awesome, and I would highly reccomend it if people tell you not to use the toner.

I'd definitely use the toner before BP, and let it dry for a few minutes before adding BP. If you have any residual moisture on your skin from the toner, it's going to make the BP runnier and take longer to absorb, so be warned. It's definitely too liquidy to go on well after BP, though.

That said, I just wouldn't bother with it at all unless you have a bunch of it lying around. The glycolic acid strength in it is pretty weak and I think you would have faster results with a stronger, leave-on AHA lotion like Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion or Alpha Hydrox Enhanced Lotion.