Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
emmabrown

how the hell am i meant to come off Minocyline, when everytime ive tried, ive broken out badly

this is like the 3rd time, ive tried weaning myself off the stuff, ive been taking for months and months and i dont like the idea of taking antibiotics long term, and that i have to stay outta sunlight and all that stuff, but everytime i stop, or even reduce my dosage, my skin breaks out like crazy, especially my forehead, it gets covered in bumps, and i get those awful spots under the skin...when im on mino, im pretty much, clear, but i dont wanna keep taking the stuff...but when i stop, my skin goes crazy, it starts feeling weird, and sensitive and breaks out.

so for anyone who's used it, how long does the break out go on for? does it get better eventually, or does it get worse? ...im considering stopping and going on the pill, at least that seems healthier long term than been on mino.

Are you using anything else? You have to use some kind of topical maintenance treatment when you come off antibiotics or the acne will continue to come back. Unless you have hormonally driven acne, in which case hormonal treatment may be enough to control it.

well i have retin-A which im meant to be using but dont really use. why do i need to use a topical maintenance treatment when i come off antibiotics????????????

and how do i know if i have hormonally driven acne?

The reason you have to use a maintenance treatment is because you are still acne prone, even after being on antibiotics. Acne is genetic - those who have ongoing problems with acne simply have pores that want to clog up - this tendency doesn't go away until you outgrow your acne (which for many people, esp women, may not happen until much later in adulthood). Those clogged pores are the primary cause of acne. The antibiotics only kill the bacteria (the bacteria is only a secondary cause of acne, it wouldn't be causing problems if the pores weren't clogged). So, when you go on antibiotics, the bacteria is killed and inflamation goes down - but the original cause of the acne, clogged pores, is still there. Antibiotics do nothing to prevent clogged pores. Topical medications such as retinoids, azelaic acid, glycolic and salicylic acids, and to a lesser extent benzoyl peroxide - all help to keep the pores clear. So, you might be better off going on a topical treatment while you are still on the antibiotics. Then when you come off the antibiotics, the acne flare should be less severe.

As far as hormones go - they are a factor in everyone's acne - and they continue to impact women's acne in particular. That is why you may see flare ups at certain points during your menstrual cycle. Birth control pills do help acne for some women, but may worsen it for others.

oh right, i see, so is retin-A alright to use -or do i need to make an appointment to get something different?

how long should i use it before i start coming off the antibiotics? should i wean myself off them gradually by reducing the dose and taking it less often or stop completely one day?

oh right, i see, so is retin-A alright to use -or do i need to make an appointment to get something different?

how long should i use it before i start coming off the antibiotics? should i wean myself off them gradually by reducing the dose and taking it less often or stop completely one day?

How to come off the antibiotics might be better question for your doctor. But, I would say that you would want to be on the Retin-A for two or three months before going off the antibiotics. You might also consider adding something else that will help kill the acne bacteria, since retin-a just unclogs the pores. Sometimes a regular antibacterial is needed for maintenance (benzoyl peroxide, a topical antibiotic such as clindamycin or duac, or an azelaic acid product like finacea or azelex). Your regimen should do two things - unclog your pores/exfoliate and kill the acne bacteria.