Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I finally know what the difference between whiteheads and milia is. You can squeeze whiteheads out if you're persistent enough, you get this white cheesy thing oozing out. But for milia, it would be very difficult and painful to. I've had the same hard bumps under my skin for years but I never knew what they are, just that squeezing doesn't help and they never go away. They commonly occur around the eyes, but I have them on my cheek and I REALLY hate them.

For people who've had experience removing milia, what did you try and how were the results?

1) extraction---by derm/ esthetician/ self ( I have too many to do them myself, I'd probably faint from the pain halfway through.)

2) cautery (burns your skin)

3) laser

I've had a few of these things. This is what I do:

Take a sewing needle and sterilize it by holding it over a flame. Be sure it's cool, then lightly prick the milia at the surface. Try not to stick the needle in too deep. Use two piece of tissue (I use toliet paper) on each index finger and gently try to squeeze the white stuff out. It may not come out right away, so alternate between needle and squeezing until you get it. You may have to get a little aggressive with the needle, but not too much. Eventually, you should be able to get the little white dot out. Finally, use some peroxide or other antiseptic on the area (there will be a little blood). The mark left over from this operation should heal completely within a few days.

Milia is hard to purge without using the needle since the top layer of skin seems to hold it in. The needle obviously breaks through this top layer and creates an opening for the purge. Let me know if this method works out (or doesn't).

Edit: Just to be sure, this is what milia should look like:

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~thabif/weeklycli...07milia1028.jpg

If you're referring to anything larger than shown in the above image, I would not attempt the method I described.

I use a sharp needle (often times the needle on a baby pin), put it over a flame to sterilize it, then wash it off with just water. Then poke a hole in the milia surface with the needle. Then use a pointy pair of forceps to pull out the hard part. I would not recommend the squeezing, because it is gonna cause more pressure on the surrounding skin than is necessary. The pointy forceps work much better. I have tried using fingers and finger nails in the past, but it did not work very well.

I just tried your methods.. NOTHING CAME OUT OF IT, pun intended!!! 1 hour later I'm left with about 6 holes on my bruised, red face. My milia is on my cheeks, and the moment I poke, then squeeze, it seems like blood swells to the area and I can't see the bump anymore. Still I tried squeezing--- both with hands and with a tweezer. nothing but blood. In desperation I tried the most obvious hard bump I had... same effect, swelling, and just blood oozing out.

GrrRrrRr.. so frustrating.

Maybe it's not milia? It does look like what I see in photos... But what else can lie there for years despite all the retin A, differin, glycolic acid, peels etc etc??? :wall:

I just tried your methods.. NOTHING CAME OUT OF IT, pun intended!!! 1 hour later I'm left with about 6 holes on my bruised, red face. My milia is on my cheeks, and the moment I poke, then squeeze, it seems like blood swells to the area and I can't see the bump anymore. Still I tried squeezing--- both with hands and with a tweezer. nothing but blood. In desperation I tried the most obvious hard bump I had... same effect, swelling, and just blood oozing out.

Maybe it's not milia? It does look like what I see in photos... But what else can lie there for years despite all the retin A, differin, glycolic acid, peels etc etc??? :wall:

First, lay off the squeezing. If you first squeeze and nothing happens, stop trying.

Your best bet is to go to a dermatologist to get a diagnosis. You may not have milia. There are many other perfectly treatable conditions that look a bit like milia, but are not. If they are milia, the derm can extract them. If they're not milia, they can be treated.

Solution: Use a cleanser with a high concentration of salicylic acid.

The best would be 2% but if you find that irritating for your skin use a lower % like 1 - 0.5%.

Like BP your skin will take a few days to adjust to the salicylic acid.

I have Milia too and 2% Salicylic acid really works. Especially if you combine with BP.

Typically this treatment takes a week to work. But you might find that the biggest Milia will disappeare after 2days.

Products:

1)Nutrogena Acne Face Wash 2% salicylic acid___(might be less can't remember)

2)Acnisal Face Wash 2% salicylic acid___(over the counter so ask your pharmacist)

search the net as there are many more products!!!!

What looks like milia but isn't: various types of skin infections, types of moles, some forms of keratosis pilaris, etc. Best to get a derm's opinion.

Ive had these Milia for about 3 years now both my derm and gp said i was Milia and it comes and goes but it hasnt been going, i have at the moment 3-5 on each eye lid and about 7 small ones uder my eyes, the ones on my eye lids are twice the size of the ones under my eyes, so is the best methid with the needle? dont fancy poking my eye lid though.

Also my face wash , nutrogena exfoliater contains that salicylic acid and ive been useing it for about two months now, no impact so far.

Ive had these Milia for about 3 years now both my derm and gp said i was Milia and it comes and goes but it hasnt been going, i have at the moment 3-5 on each eye lid and about 7 small ones uder my eyes, the ones on my eye lids are twice the size of the ones under my eyes, so is the best methid with the needle? dont fancy poking my eye lid though.

Also my face wash , nutrogena exfoliater contains that salicylic acid and ive been useing it for about two months now, no impact so far.

well i know what DOESN'T work, poking a needle at it yourself! Almost a month later and I still have these nasty brown marks from my D-I-Y surgery + all my "milia". What else doesn't work-- years of salicylic acid, glycolic acid, retin A, differin, chemical peels, microdermabrasion. Will see a derm by end of this month and update.

I suspected as much from the way you describe it. That's why I posted the link to a picture of it in my first post with a disclaimer. Does your condition look like the one in the photo I posted?

I know this is a very old thread, but I just got some of these things extracted by a dermatologist. First time I have ever been to a dermatologist. It is not cheap ($90 for the first one and $10 each after that), but it is the best way to get rid of them in my opinion. Be careful if you are attempting to do this yourself. I was also prescribed some RETIN-A and I guess this is suppose to help prevent them in the future. Just sharing my experience with these nasty little buggers...