Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NdnRomeo

Sebaceous Gland Removal

Excellent point. I'm not sure the study was referring to AIDS deaths worldwide, but comparing it to the staph infection deaths within the US only.

Curb antibiotic use

If these deaths all were related to staph infections, the total would exceed other better-known causes of death including AIDS �" which killed an estimated 17,011 Americans in 2005 �" said Dr. Elizabeth Bancroft of the Los Angeles County Health Department, the editorial author.

Alright, how bout a procedure to greatly shrink the glands? That would be spiffy. I mean think about it. We all know that no matter whether your acne is due to unruly shedding skin cells (retention hyperkeratosis), or lots of bacteria (P acnes), we DO know that these problems are greatly reduced by eliminating the oil problem. I think scientists should focus their efforts on creating more drugs that inhibit the production of sebum rather than treating the sub-causes of acne because it isn't as effective as taking out the root cause...Catch my drift? In a way people with sensitive skin types, myself included, would not have to suffer the possible scarring that accutane presents. Word up.

I understand how someone with severe, nodular cystic acne could want this - saving physical & emotional scars, and the frustration that comes from trying to take care of your skin and have it sabotage you.

But there is no way in hell I would do it.

I now firmly 100% believe that acne is an autoimmune response to something that is WRONG with the human body. It's a warning signal, and unlike an appendectomy (which I have had by the way when I was 9 years old) which saves your life, acne won't kill you. It may drive you crazy, but is won't kill you.

It is an ugly but relatively benign disease, and it is your body telling you something is wrong! I mean, think about it - if you were in perfect health, do you think you would be breaking out?

In a way, I am thankful to have had acne, (well, not THAT thankful) but it did force me to make healthier lifestyle changes. Acne was one of the reasons I stopped smoking, stopped drinking, greatly cut down on caffeine as my main source of energy, and start really looking at the food I was putting in my body. Acne made me aware of the ingredients in cosmetics, and start eating organic food.

So go ahead people, remove your sebaceous glands, and you have my blessing. If you have tried everything else (including a raw diet) to no end, then I hope this works out for you. But be careful when you start removing things from your body that might be there for a reason....

I don't agree with this at all either. The whole "your acne is telling you something is wrong" is imo BS.

How many people on this site are on the most strict, almost borderline obsessive, diets? A LOT.. this board has some of the healthiest people you can imagine, yet how many of them are cured? Very, very few... they wouldn't be here looking for a cure if their diets had worked.

Face it, most of us have a genetic problem that's causing this... it has nothing to do with "built up toxins" or whatever these holistic people will have you believe. If you want to really find out if something is wrong, go get a physical, go get some diagnostic tests done... I guarantee almost everyone will be in good health.

You can go on a fruit, vegetable and seeds diet and meditate all day, it won't do much unless you have a specific food allergy (rare) you will just seek out results that confirm your beliefs, since when you engage in an activity requiring so much effort your mind is FORCED to look for proof that it is paying off.

and of course the sebaceous gland alone is not responsible for acne. Hormone is another issue.

I don't think sebacious glands are responsible for acne at all, but they are the vessel by which all the true internal culprits make it to the surface. So if we had our sebacious glands removed then our bodies would still be out of whack, they just wouldn't be able to let us and more importantly others know about.

and of course the sebaceous gland alone is not responsible for acne. Hormone is another issue.

Whatever gets rid of acne is a-ok in my book :) :dance:

Sebum, some people say, has absolutely no functional purpose. I believe they take the view that Sebaceous Glands are simply things with which Man has nullified a reqirement for through years of evolving, yet the organ is still physically there. It definately has no impact on one's visible aging.

Exactly. No less an authority than Albert M. Kligman MD, PhD (the most famous name in the history of dermatology) believes that sebaceous glands are "living fossils" in human beings. He says that sebum _may_ have served as a waterproofing agent for hair (or fur) in our early ancestors, but that is obviously no longer an issue. There is no known or proven function for sebum. We could do without it just fine.

Just got bck from my accutane follow up and the derm I see for that also hasn't heard of the procedure, but was convinced that it would work at the price of dry skin, which I would easily take over acne.

What exactly did he mean by "dry skin"? Did he mean OILY-dry, or MOISTURE-dry? The presence or absence of sebum is not associated with the moisture content of skin. Here's an excerpt from an article on the physiology of skin that was published in a medical journal:

Sebum and Dry Skin "...skin can be healthy and have charming cosmetic properties in the virtual absence of sebum." (14)

Kligman drew attention to prepubertal children, who produce almost no sebum, to support his thesis that skin does not depend upon sebum for maintaining its barrier to water loss: "...there can be no doubt of the insignificance of sebum as a waterproofing material." (14) Our recent studies at the other end of the human age spectrum have supported this conviction. In a survey of sebum secretion rates and the incidence of dry skin among subjects aged 65 to 97, no correlation was found between sebaceous gland activity and the presence or severity of dry skin (34). Kligman recognized that sebum could mask the scaliness of dry skin without producing any actual change in the condition: "Sebum, like any oil, has some emollient or smoothing effect when a sufficient quantity is rubbed into dry, scaling skin." (14) In spite of the clear inference to be drawn from the cutaneous characteristics of children and the experimental data obtained from the elderly, it remains difficult to dispel the myth that low sebum secretion rates cause dry skin. It is a rare individual who realizes that "dry" is not the obverse of "oily".

(14) Kligman AM: The uses of sebum. Br J Dermatol 75: 307-319, 1963

(34) Frantz RA, Kinney CK, Downing DT: A study of skin dryness in the elderly. Nursing Res 35: 98-100, 1986.

sebaceous glands are however there for a good reason. to produce sebum..."Sebum acts to protect and waterproof hair and skin, and keep them from becoming dry, brittle and cracked. It can also inhibit the growth of microorganisms on skin."

Apparently, not even a single one of those claims is true. Read the following excerpt from a medical journal article:

"Sebum Secretion and Sebaceous Lipids", Stewart et al, Dermatologic Clinics -- Vol. 1, No. 3, July 1983 (BTW, the "Kligman" they refer to in the text below is Dr. Albert M. Kligman, MD, PhD, one of the most famous names in the history of dermatology):

"Sebum is an oily substance that is secreted onto the skin surface from glands located in the dermis. Although a number of useful functions have been proposed for sebum, proof that sebum performs any of them is lacking. In furred mammals an essential function of sebum is to supply 7-dehydrocholesterol, which is converted to vitamin D by the action of sunlight and then ingested by the animal as it grooms itself. In man, however, the location of 7-dehydrocholesterol has been shown to be the epidermis rather than sebum. Sebum may act as a waterproofing agent for fur, but humans obviously have little need for this function. Kligman has specifically disproved the notions that sebum improves the barrier function of skin, that sebum helps to regulate the water content of the horny layer by forming emulsions with sweat, or that sebum on the skin surface is fungistatic or antibacterial.(21) Kligman regards the human sebaceous glands as 'living fossils' that lost their usefulness to our species as we lost our fur.(21)

(21) Kligman, A. M.: The uses of sebum? In Montagna, W., Ellis, R. A., and Silver, A. F. (eds.): Advances in the Biology of Skin. Volume 4. Oxford, Pergamon Press, 1963."

Hello fellow acne sufferers. I came upon this thread by chance. I have finished my second accutane course about 1.5 months ago. And have started to have a few small pimples forming. It is a concern of mine that the acne will return slowly like it did after my first course. It is for this reason that I have searched for alternative therapies as a precautionary measure. I was delighted to have come across this thread, as I am of Korean ancestory, and my mother speaks fluent Korean. I had my mother call the clinic and have recieved some stellar news that I would like to share with those interested. Upon explaining my circumstance, the doctor explained that I would need 5 to 6 treatments and that the sebacious function of my skin would be dramatically and permanently impaired. Now, 5 or 6 treatments with several weeks in between would be very hard to do for most americans. I am in the position to where it would not be an issue, but I understand that is not the case for most. So the good news is that this particular clinic is opening up a new branch in Beverly Hills, and will be performing this procedure here in the US. I have a phone consultation scheduled with the head doctor in three days, and I will get far more detailed information on success rates, cost, and safety. Take care, I will keep you all informed.

Ok, I just talked to the dermotalogist who performs this actual procedure and found out a few things. She said the method has results that are similar to accutane, in that the procedure inhibits the sebaceous oil glands. As many of you may know, accutane isn't permanent for everyone, and doesn't destroy the oil glands, just shrinks them down. This method uses a needle inserted into the pore, the needle burns the gland, destroying it, and rendering it permanently useless. So no oil, no acne. I told her about my past two accutane cycles and she said that they would not be an issue with the procedures. She recommended 4-5 sessions spaced 2-4 weeks apart. The procedure costs 600-1000 dollars per session in Korea, and she expects it to be priced similarly here in the US. They will be opening in 3-4 months. I expect to go forward with the procedure when they open here. I will notify you all of the results!!

As you can see from my previous posts I am EXTREMELY interested in this procedure and can't explain how excited I am to hear this news after fruitlessly trying to contact them in English numerous times. I wouldn't hesitate to travel to South Korea to have it done if it is capable of what it promises, but to hear that it will be performed In Beverly Hills is icing on the cake as I will be spending the entire summer in the area for an architecture internship. Please don't hesitate to share all of the details as soon as they become available, because the potential of this procedure seems insane and I can't wait to give it a try!

Are you an arch student as well daarchitect? This is the firm I'll be interning at http://www.marmol-radziner.com/ if you wanna check it out (pretty cool huh?). Won't it be nice to not have to worry about zits next time your presenting, or proposing a deign?

I can't wait to kill my worthless sebaceous glands!! :)

This is so fucking exciting

Edit:

Oh and I also recently finished my second course of tane and can already tell that it isn't going to last. My black heads are already coming back and I know it won't be long before... well you know. Its really good to hear that you don't have to wait a year or anything after tane to have this done.

Daarchitect~ WOW! Thanks for all the postings on this subject. I had never heard of it and I'm sure it will create alot of buzz once the place is up and running. I bet there will also be alot of coverage to stimulate business. Thanks for keeping everyone updated.

Andersoj~ Congrats on the internship but seriously... can you believe it will be in the SAME place as the procedure?! Haha - that to me would be a definite omen that I had to get it done!

Good luck on your internship and hope you keep everyone posted on this procedure as well!

Ciao!

Andersoj~ Congrats on the internship but seriously... can you believe it will be in the SAME place as the procedure?! Haha - that to me would be a definite omen that I had to get it done!

Good luck on your internship and hope you keep everyone posted on this procedure as well!

Ciao!

I know right? I'm almost more excited about this then the internship now!

I know I shouldn't be getting my hopes up too high yet, because in the world of acne treatments hype seems to be the only constant.

As you can see from my previous posts I am EXTREMELY interested in this procedure and can't explain how excited I am to hear this news after fruitlessly trying to contact them in English numerous times. I wouldn't hesitate to travel to South Korea to have it done if it is capable of what it promises, but to hear that it will be performed In Beverly Hills is icing on the cake as I will be spending the entire summer in the area for an architecture internship. Please don't hesitate to share all of the details as soon as they become available, because the potential of this procedure seems insane and I can't wait to give it a try!

Are you an arch student as well daarchitect? This is the firm I'll be interning at http://www.marmol-radziner.com/ if you wanna check it out (pretty cool huh?). Won't it be nice to not have to worry about zits next time your presenting, or proposing a deign?

I can't wait to kill my worthless sebaceous glands!! :)

This is so fucking exciting

Edit:

Oh and I also recently finished my second course of tane and can already tell that it isn't going to last. My black heads are already coming back and I know it won't be long before... well you know. Its really good to hear that you don't have to wait a year or anything after tane to have this done.

I am not an architect major, but I was for a short time and just kept using the name haha! But yah man, I feel like this procedure could really turn out to be the real deal. However, I'm remaining skeptical, as I don't want to get my hopes up only to have them crushed. My mom is gonna call again on Monday to figure out exactly how effective the procedure is. I had some trouble asking some questions due to the language barrier, but from what I can tell it seems that they are pretty confident. That's sweet that you're gonna be out there in the summer, almost like fate, haha! I graduate in May, and I actually took a job out in Malibu, so I'll be in the area as well. Maybe we can form a little support group, lol! Don't you hate the feeling of impending doom when the accutane is wearing off? This procedure is keeping my hopes up though. How old are you btw?

Hey, I look forward to hearing any new info that you get out of them, I find it amazing that you even got a hold of them. I recently turned 22 BTW.

Hey, I look forward to hearing any new info that you get out of them, I find it amazing that you even got a hold of them. I recently turned 22 BTW.

you guys must be smokin crack daily. remember how dry your skin was while u were on tane? now imagine that and multiply it by 10 and thats probably how dry/brittle/cracked your entire face/body will be for the rest of your life. youd probably have to coat your fact in like 2 pounds of oil everyday and even then still have sensitive wrinklyass skin ur whole life

you guys must be smokin crack daily. remember how dry your skin was while u were on tane? now imagine that and multiply it by 10 and thats probably how dry/brittle/cracked your entire face/body will be for the rest of your life. youd probably have to coat your fact in like 2 pounds of oil everyday and even then still have sensitive wrinklyass skin ur whole life

Read the rest of the thread, theres no reason to think this.

What exactly did he mean by "dry skin"? Did he mean OILY-dry, or MOISTURE-dry? The presence or absence of sebum is not associated with the moisture content of skin. Here's an excerpt from an article on the physiology of skin that was published in a medical journal:

Sebum and Dry Skin "...skin can be healthy and have charming cosmetic properties in the virtual absence of sebum." (14)

Kligman drew attention to prepubertal children, who produce almost no sebum, to support his thesis that skin does not depend upon sebum for maintaining its barrier to water loss: "...there can be no doubt of the insignificance of sebum as a waterproofing material." (14) Our recent studies at the other end of the human age spectrum have supported this conviction. In a survey of sebum secretion rates and the incidence of dry skin among subjects aged 65 to 97, no correlation was found between sebaceous gland activity and the presence or severity of dry skin (34). Kligman recognized that sebum could mask the scaliness of dry skin without producing any actual change in the condition: "Sebum, like any oil, has some emollient or smoothing effect when a sufficient quantity is rubbed into dry, scaling skin." (14) In spite of the clear inference to be drawn from the cutaneous characteristics of children and the experimental data obtained from the elderly, it remains difficult to dispel the myth that low sebum secretion rates cause dry skin. It is a rare individual who realizes that "dry" is not the obverse of "oily".

(14) Kligman AM: The uses of sebum. Br J Dermatol 75: 307-319, 1963

(34) Frantz RA, Kinney CK, Downing DT: A study of skin dryness in the elderly. Nursing Res 35: 98-100, 1986.

Apparently, not even a single one of those claims is true. Read the following excerpt from a medical journal article:

"Sebum Secretion and Sebaceous Lipids", Stewart et al, Dermatologic Clinics -- Vol. 1, No. 3, July 1983 (BTW, the "Kligman" they refer to in the text below is Dr. Albert M. Kligman, MD, PhD, one of the most famous names in the history of dermatology):

"Sebum is an oily substance that is secreted onto the skin surface from glands located in the dermis. Although a number of useful functions have been proposed for sebum, proof that sebum performs any of them is lacking. In furred mammals an essential function of sebum is to supply 7-dehydrocholesterol, which is converted to vitamin D by the action of sunlight and then ingested by the animal as it grooms itself. In man, however, the location of 7-dehydrocholesterol has been shown to be the epidermis rather than sebum. Sebum may act as a waterproofing agent for fur, but humans obviously have little need for this function. Kligman has specifically disproved the notions that sebum improves the barrier function of skin, that sebum helps to regulate the water content of the horny layer by forming emulsions with sweat, or that sebum on the skin surface is fungistatic or antibacterial.(21) Kligman regards the human sebaceous glands as 'living fossils' that lost their usefulness to our species as we lost our fur.(21)

(21) Kligman, A. M.: The uses of sebum? In Montagna, W., Ellis, R. A., and Silver, A. F. (eds.): Advances in the Biology of Skin. Volume 4. Oxford, Pergamon Press, 1963."

Accutane works systemically and that accounts for individuals experiencing problems throughout their entire bodies. Sebaceous gland removal works in only selected areas. You would not be removing every single one of your glands in your body. The number of treatments and amount of area covered is dependant upon the severity of each case. They don't need to remove all in order for an individual to experience relief. They would only remove what is needed to get the desired results.

Sun is the main cause of wrinkles anyway. Plus, if people around this site were given the option of putting on "2 pounds of oil everyday" and not break out, or put no oil on, do everything they can possibly do to clear up and STILL break out lol, I'm thinking they would go with the 2 pounds of oil! I sure know I would! :D

Sebum is not the cause of acne, abnormal follicular keratinization is. Sebum just exacerbates the acne by providing a breeding ground for P. acnes which release free fatty acids that cause inflammation. Studies have shown a correlation between sebum production and severity of acne.

Thats why some people have acne even with normal or dry skin (usually non-inflamed). Also why others have oily skin, but no acne.