Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ShockBotkins

Anything Particular Cause Pustules?

It seems all the pimples I get are pustules. I don't get any of the cysts or anything like that, mine usually last for 2-5 days. The thing is I usually have 3-5 on each side of my face around the jawline by my mouth. Is there anything in particular that causes pustules? I've been getting them since I was 13 or 14 and I'm 21 now. Thanks.

It seems all the pimples I get are pustules. I don't get any of the cysts or anything like that, mine usually last for 2-5 days. The thing is I usually have 3-5 on each side of my face around the jawline by my mouth. Is there anything in particular that causes pustules? I've been getting them since I was 13 or 14 and I'm 21 now. Thanks.

Pustules are a form of inflamed acne - some people are more prone to this than others. Usually, pustules start off as non-inflamed, closed comedones that get infected with bacteria and burst open the follicle wall, which causes an inflammatory response by the body. Some people only get papules, which are somewhat deeper, inflamed bumps without pus. A pustule happens with the body pushes the acne impaction to the surface of the skin, along with the pus (which is dead bacteria and white blood cells).

If you are dying for more details, check out this thread:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-over...ns-t168987.html

There are some things you can do to stop non-inflamed comedones from getting inflamed. Using a regular exfoliant to keep your pores clear (glycolic or salicylic acid and OTC or prescription retinoids), and something to kill the bacteria (e.g., benzoyl peroxide). There are other things that can worsen inflamation as well - stress, some dietary factors such as iodine. Ice and an antiinflamatory pain reliever can also help reduce inflamation.