Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thud13

Milia and the Regimen

Hey guys! Brief question for you all:

I've been using the regimen for about two weeks now with what I would consider rather good results! I've had VERY few new pimples surface and my skin itself is getting quite a bit clearer.

However- I cannot tell if it's because I'm paying more close attention to my skin and am noticing things I didn't notice before... but it almost looks as if I am getting more milia on my face!

Granted- over the years I have accumulated quite a few of the little buggers, so it very well could be old ones I'm noticing now that my face is clearing.

Has anyone else experienced an increase of these little buggers while on the regimen?

I'm using:

Dan's Cleanser

Dan's BP Gel

Cetaphil Moisterizer

And one last question- In order to remove the milia I am using a steralized needle to lance the area then my fingers to (slowly) apply pressure to "pop" out the bunch of dead skin. I am cleaning the area with an alchohol swab prior to and after the operation and the "cut" itself is very clean. Will this methodology cause scarring?

Thanks very much!

Yes! I have noticed little bumps but I do not believe they are pimples because those are not the type of acne that I normally get.

I think it is from the BP irritating our skin.

The sterile needle lancing is ok, but I would recommend using a comedone extractor on the milia; it is a tad more gentle on your poor skin. Even a picked milia could scar if done roughly. I know this to my chagrin. :(

If you massage your moisturizer in gently for an extended period of time before your next shower, you may find that your skin produces fewer milia. That's a very gentle method of exfoliation. I'd just use my fingers and very gently massage. Around the eye area, I might just use a Q-tip gently as it is such a delicate area and you don't want to stretch it out.

What do you mean by an AHA moisterizer? Is Dan's one of those?

A moisturizer that has an alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) in it. Alpha Hydrox (I think) makes some. Lac Hydrin 5 contains a very gentle alpha hydroxy acid so it exfoliates as it moisturizes. They are both available at your local drugstores.

AHAs help with exfoliation. Milia result from clogged pores. All acne results from clogged pores. Inflamed acne happens from clogged pores + bacteria. Comedonal acne is just plain old clogged pores. Exfoliation (mechanical or chemical) helps unclog those pores by helping the skin shed more.

The sterile needle lancing is ok, but I would recommend using a comedone extractor on the milia; it is a tad more gentle on your poor skin. Even a picked milia could scar if done roughly. I know this to my chagrin. :(

If you massage your moisturizer in gently for an extended period of time before your next shower, you may find that your skin produces fewer milia. That's a very gentle method of exfoliation. I'd just use my fingers and very gently massage. Around the eye area, I might just use a Q-tip gently as it is such a delicate area and you don't want to stretch it out.

Can you recommend a comedone extractor? I have a couple of milia as well, and for the life of me tore my skin up trying to get rid of it.