Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phyllis

Age of raised scars matter?

Posted

I have a million raised scars that are about a year old. I've been to two derms and both refuse to inject them, saying they are too old to be treated. One derm even recommended dermabrasion, but I declined, since there is a 100% chance that dermabrasion will make my Asian skin worse.

I thought steroid injections could flatten any raised scar no matter how old it was. Are there any derms in San Jose that are a little more informed? I wish I had a syringe and kenalog so I could just inject the damn scars myself.

Posted

If they are keloids, I don't know how 'young' they must be for a cortisone injection to be effective. Scars continue to revise themselves for up to two years after an initial injury from what I've read.

If they are hypertrophic scarring, it would not hurt for you to be examined by a plastic surgeon for an expert opinion. Dermatologists do not do surgery on a regular basis, and the surgery they do is not as exacting and precise as that of a plastic surgeon. Plastic surgeons are trained to do procedures so as to minimize the scarring. Derms are, too, but not to the same degree as PSs.

Guest sm_oore
Posted

They shouldn't be too old. I had mine for a year + and i got cortisone shots.

Where are they?

Also what kind of shapes are they? I mean if they are like grouped together and irregular they might be harder to see results if injected. Mine were pretty round and on my back....I just don't know if those are easier to treat or not.

If they are older scars there might be a chance that it may come back after a while......at least in my case.

If they're on the face i'd be careful about getting it shot though. I know some have had their scars indent or sometimes the scar could look even worse in color and texture once it is flat.

But yeah i agree with Wynne, you should see a PS about scar revision if you haven't already.

Posted

Plastic surgeon! Duh, why didn't I think of that? :P I'm just worried about the cost though, since health insurance probably won't cover for scar revision...

The scars are on my face and kind of grouped together in the same area. They were once a patch of eczema, not acne; after the eczema went away, the entire area was lumpy scar tissue.