Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fuzion

Toner question

So if toner is used to remove any cleanser left on your face after you shower then what is the point in using a cleanser? if toner is strong enough to take off any traces of cleanser wouldnt it be strong enough to clean the dirt and grim off your face too?? Ive never really understood the whole point of toner anyways..maybe somebody can explain this to me..

Hey Fuzion,

Cleanser washes away 'dirt and grease'. Cleansers are likely to distort your skins natural PH balance. Toners remove traces of the cleanser and also help restore the skins natural PH. Toners leave your skin perfectly prepared for moisturizer. Assuming the cleanser is doing it's job properly. :lol:

So toner is better at removing the cleanser but it is not very good at removing dirt and oil? I just figured dirt and oil would be easier to get off than the cleanser itself.

The purpose of toner is simply to balance the skin and prepare the skin for moisturiser.

You don't actually remove the bulk of the cleanser with a toner, you use water to remove the cleanser. But often traces of cleanser not visible to the eye are left on the skin. Toner removes these traces of cleanser and restores your skins natural PH. Toners can also have extra benefits such as removing dead skin cells, minimising pores etc.

I hope that makes sense :)

If you're using a good cleanser, you don't need a toner. You're not alone in not understanding toners! I have yet to read any explanation of what a toner does in dermatological terms, to be honest. All I can gather is that it somehow "balances" or "purifies" the skin, which means nothing to me. The best reason I can come up with is to balance your skin's pH, but that isn't necessary if you're using a cleanser that's at the skin's pH like Dan's. (Maybe if you use bar soap, though.) To me, it seems like unless you're using a toner for exfoliation purposes (it would have glycolic acid, lactic acid, or salicylic acid in it), it's at best fairly pointless, at worst quite irritating if it has lots of alcohol, menthol, fragrances, etc. Unless you've been doing the regimen for a while and want to use an AHA toner to help exfoliate, I would just stay away from toners altogether.