Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

the past couple months have been overwhelming for me emtionally, and the culmination of everything resulted in a nauseous, shaking, head hanging over the toilet evening.

i've never had any physical reaction to stress like this before. i'm debating going to a shrink, but i'm worried about being medicated, about them trying to uncover some sort of repressed memory, about them saying my problems stem from my bad relationship with my parents or my incapability to accomplish the high expectations i place on myself. life isn't fucking textbook after all.

anyway, just venting.... and sitting in contemplation.

I've never had an anxiety attack.

But I've had a panic attack before.

They're pretty scary.

I thought I was legitimately going to die.

A psychiatrist will just load a bunch of prescriptions in your lap.

If you are to see a doctor about this, which you may or may not want to do, depending on how strong your mental composure is, see a psychologist. They are a lot more helpful.

I had one while I was driving once. But I think it was caused by the piece of shit anxiety/ anti-depressant pills I was given.

And if you decide to see a shrink, which imo you should, make sure they're not one of the cookie cutter shrinks that just recommends medication from your doctor right away. I'm not saying medication is always bad, but when that's one of their first suggestions, then you know that they really couldn't give two shits about your well being.

Do you have any friends who are seeing therapists they like? If so, their therapists might be able to give you some recommendations.

When I told my therapist that my best friend was considering therapy, she said that it would be unethical for her to see him, since she's already seeing me and he and I are friends, but she was happy to recommend 4 or 5 local therapists who she thinks are good.

Look into seeing a psychologist that specializes in behavior therapy. Or cognitive-behavioral therapy if there are no behavior therapists in your area.

Behavior therapy is very effective for controlling anxiety. He or she will teach you strategies for confronting and controlling anxiety and help you identify the stimuli that arouses your anxiety.

No drugs, no psychoanalysis...

thanks guys. yeah, i'm going to do some research. a friend of mine told me about an awesome psychologist she saw at one time, so i think i'll get some contact info. it's really hard for me to admit that i want/need help. i know that sounds kind of absurb, but i was raised in a pretty religious home where all you really needed was God. it's more than just that though..... i want to have someone outside of the situation to talk to and get feedback from. i can't rightfully sit down and have a conversation with God, at least not in the same tangible way.

My heart goes out to you! I've only had one anxiety attack my whole life - just one - and I literally thought I was going to die. I couldn't imagine going through that on a regular basis!

wow; it's good to know i'm not alone. i tend to bottle everything in and get super impatient, and i just lost it. i've since opened up to some people i needed to and feel better, but i'm still planning on seeing someone.

aw hon, feel for ya. I used to get anxiety and panic attacks on a regular basis. Less so now but they still crop up every so often and they arent pleasant.

I do reccommend going to see someone. a psychiatrist may put you on meds but although I value the place these types of meds have in helping, the key to successfully ridding yourself of these attacks doesnt com from a pill, it comes from you learning the skills you need to keep yourself calm and knowing how to cope. So I think the psycholigist would be a good place to start, maybe get some Cognotive Behavioural Therapy.Thats supposed to be good. but the key thing to always remember is to be rid of these things you have to learn to help yourself. No one else can rid you of them. They can help and assist in many ways though so do be willing to try various things.

Now I just have a meditation cd saved on my mp3 player and if I feel paniced I have it where ever I am. Its really good, you should try get one.