Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lalalalaloopsy

Birth control for acne? Does it work?

My mom suggested that I try birth control to help my acne. I think it steadies your hormones or something like that? I was planning on try Evening Primrose Oil to help steady my hormones but my mom really insists that I try birth control. I'm not really sure what I should do. I really want to try the Evening Primrose Oil first but I dunno... :wall: Please help! :(

My mom suggested that I try birth control to help my acne. I think it steadies your hormones or something like that? I was planning on try Evening Primrose Oil to help steady my hormones but my mom really insists that I try birth control. I'm not really sure what I should do. I really want to try the Evening Primrose Oil first but I dunno... :wall: Please help! :(

I hear lots of great success stories of women's acne clearing on birth control. =] I myself am on Yaz... my 3rd month... and I haven't gotten any new breakouts :)

For some people they work and for some people they dont. A birthcontrol pill (such as Yamin) may work for one person but not another. Yasmin didnt work for me. I was on it for six months and my acne just got worse instead of better.

Molly, do you know if your levels are out of whack? (excess testosterone)

I would go get your hormones tested before you get on BC because it will help it if you have too much testosterone. If your hormones are fine I dont recommend BC and would try natural remedies since they are much safer :)

Its always good to have a piece of mind so I would go ask to have blood work done.

i started taking yaz last sunday. last week i looked ok but this week my face has exploded with bumps. its so embarrassing that im even thinking of calling out from work for a couple days. i looked in the mirror this morning and was brought to tears. i have med sized bumps all over my face and 2 really huge bumps on my left cheek. i will be discontinuing yaz- even if this is just the initial break out- i cant handle this!! my face hasnt looked this bad in months.

It works for alot of people, you have nothing to lose by taking it really. I took dianette for years and it didn't help my nodular body acne but I perfectly clear skin on my face until I took a break then i totally broke out and realised why i had spotless skin all those years.