Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
novembershadow

Is BP damage reversible? Worth stopping?

So yeah like many others I've found that BP is causing loads of dark, seemingly permanent hyperpigmentation marks...some up to 2 years old but most around 2-6 months. My question is, if I stop using the BP on these areas, will the marks fade significantly faster, or is the damage already done and at this point it won't make much difference? I've been using BP for a few years but started breaking out really badly 6 months ago and for the first time the marks seem to not be healing. I'm just hoping for some advice on the risks/benefits of stopping BP...I seem to hear mixed results...on one hand it does keep my breakouts from getting out of control, but then the marks from what I do get stick around forever. I've been trying to use less but I'm afraid of stopping it altogether...can anyone who's tried stopping BP tell me what to expect? I'm afraid I'll try stopping for like a week, break out horribly and then put on loads of BP to control it and have to deal with all the PIH from that. If I did stop I'd replace the BP with tea tree oil (which doesn't seem to work as well...sigh) and aloe gel to fade the red marks. Anyway that is my dilemma.

So yeah like many others I've found that BP is causing loads of dark, seemingly permanent hyperpigmentation marks...some up to 2 years old but most around 2-6 months. My question is, if I stop using the BP on these areas, will the marks fade significantly faster, or is the damage already done and at this point it won't make much difference? I've been using BP for a few years but started breaking out really badly 6 months ago and for the first time the marks seem to not be healing. I'm just hoping for some advice on the risks/benefits of stopping BP...I seem to hear mixed results...on one hand it does keep my breakouts from getting out of control, but then the marks from what I do get stick around forever. I've been trying to use less but I'm afraid of stopping it altogether...can anyone who's tried stopping BP tell me what to expect? I'm afraid I'll try stopping for like a week, break out horribly and then put on loads of BP to control it and have to deal with all the PIH from that. If I did stop I'd replace the BP with tea tree oil (which doesn't seem to work as well...sigh) and aloe gel to fade the red marks. Anyway that is my dilemma.

i stopped BP never worked for my skin even when i was in my teens (im feel so old nowadays in my early 20s) ive gone cold turkey on BP havent gone back since, ive been 1.5 yrs off bp and i feel its good w/o BP but that was short lived after i used retin A and did more damage than BP ever did

Yeah I am 20 myself...but my skin wasn't too bad until about 2 years ago, and just got progressively worse. I've seen a dermatologist before...he prescribed all kinds of antibiotics, but none ever did a thing, in fact I think they made everything worse. I also have tried various retinoids but I'm really allergic/sensitive to all of them. Even a tiny amount of differin will make my skin inflamed and peeling. Actually I stopped seeing him because he was kind of a jerk. At one point he said I would be a candidate for accutane, but I couldn't go on it since I was taking another (not skin related) medication, and both of them would totally overload my liver. And he was like 'yeah it's too bad you can't take accutane because it's really the only thing that works in severe cases and your skin is really starting to scar from all this acne. Oh well I guess we can try another antibiotic'. Fucking jerk. Anyway yeah... BP is the only topical that even sort of works but overall it makes my skin look like crap, plus all the red marks. I just don't know what I could replace it with since antibiotics and retinoids are out. tea tree oil seems like its not too irritating but again, it might not be effective enough.

By the way, did you notice that your red marks faded faster, if you had any, after you quit the BP?

I suffered BP chemical 'burn' marks when I was using huge quantities on my face. Quitting was the best thing I ever did!

I now use glycolic acid facial washes and BP to spot treat. If I do get an outbreak, I use asprin masks to fade red marks. The glycolic washes are as effective as the peels but are safer to use

I think I am suffering the BP burn too, it seems like every time I smile, my chin glows red and it never used to do that before. I think it is because I used BP so much that it has happened. Does this ever go away? I hate smiling now because it looks gross that I turn all bright red only around my chin.

I tried the Regimen using BP about a couple of years back, it helped getting rid of a few spots but the lingering red marks it left were not worth it. If you have pale, English skin or anything like it, I don't think BP should be used, and really there should be a warning somewhere stating this. :eh:

Don't use clean and clear persa gel I got so many dark spots from it. The bp i use now is suppose to lighten red spots so i guess thats pretty good but I still have spots and a lil scarring on the side of my face

If I use BP I only apply to the individual spots, not like a whole area of skin. It seems like a decent way to do it.

I've been reading up a bit about emu oil recently and how it can do all these miraculous things for your skin lol. I'm considering trying that out but even the small bottles are quite expensive.

after going off BP the red marks definitely went away faster, while using BP those red spots kept having layers of skin peel and they would just never go away. I tend to get mostly cystic acne but even for whiteheads BP only worsened the problem. Just a few weeks ago i had a simple little whitehead and i put BP on it and in 2 days it started to turn into 4 cysts. Also, even w/o BP the skin around a cyst or whitehead already starts to peel w/o any help from BP i guess thats y BP worsens my skin since its already peel pretty fast and BP just adds fuel to the fire. Well it took nearly 2-3 months to get rid of that bright RED and peeling skin due to BP. As for emu oil, its one of those products that i read good reviews on but it was just nasty but i do use jojoba oil which i only use a small dab during winter to keep skin from dehydrating

I am in the same situation as a lot of people. BP has left red marks on my face and I only spot treat now. I also used to do the regimen but it made my face too red since I have very sensitive skin. The problem with tea tree oil is that it is not as effective as BP when it comes to treating acne. I use it now and I do break out a little bit with using tea tree oil.

I was on BP for like a few months, spots all went away and was left with red marks. I thought the BP would quicken the healing of red marks :naughty: but nope, after some research on this website and forum, it doesn't. I've now been off BP for like 3 months ish and it's amazing, no new spots and I have a regime built around the healing of the spots, nothing too irritating but nothing too gentle so no new spots come up.

I used bp for a few years, I've been off for almost a year and the red marks are almost totally gone now!!! My skin heals much faster now. So the damage is not permanant but it will take atleast a few months for your skin to recover from bp.

Guest j3ff86

Logically, the only thing irreversible is scar tissue, and BP does not cause that.

well I lasted 5 whole days without BP... the very next morning I stopped using it I had like 4 new large, inflamed pimples and half a dozen smaller ones...geez I guess it WAS working. I tried for another 4 days but it just got worse...almost the worst its ever been...went back on it an immediately my skin calmed down. sadly it looks like i'll have to find another way to minimize red marks... tea tree oil was simply not effective enough, salicyclic acid breaks me out like nothing else, retinoids make my skin look 10x worse than BP. *sigh*