Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Panda_Day

I've Won the Acne War

Hey guys!

I've posted a little bit before about how I felt I was just starting to invest in a series of peel & extractions at a local holistic skin care spa. At the time I bought them I felt I was spending a lot more money ($150/treatment) for what might have been limited results.

It has so been worth it. So worth it.

I really do feel like a different person, or at least like my life has improved. My skin was getting to be like an active volcano, so swollen I didn't even like looking at myself in the mirror. Now I sometimes see my face on the street, in a window, and I have to look again - "is that me?" - because I can't believe how good and HEALTHY my face looks.

If you look up close, there are definitely a few small scars on my chin & forehead. But otherwise it's pretty damn good - and when I wear makeup (powdered mineral makeup; no liquid foundation ever again) it's almost as though I've never had acne at all, which I thought was impossible....

I don't mean to brag. But truly, in the past few years as my skin got worse and worse, it was affecting my self-confidence, my relationships, and certainly my career goals (Aspiring actress; as though that weren't already difficult enough!) I would literally get down on my knees and pray to God to help me with my skin, it was so bad. Now I'm just thankful that it's all gone, and I can just heal and get on with my life. But what's strange is, my skin actually looks GREAT! What a remarkable difference.

Of course, it isn't just the peel/extraction treatments that are helping. Here's what else I have been up to:

- I have been eating at LEAST 3/4 raw food (or raw every day until dinner, organic where it matters) trying to balance my good fats.

- cutting out all coffee (which I love, but which I know makes me break out)

- trying so hard to avoid gluten

- taking birth control for the past two 1/2 months to help with hormones

- invested in quality organic products (which I've listed below) free of preservatives and irritants

I don't feel like this is a quick fix because at the same time I am much less dependent on expensive prescription medicines to keep clear.

You know something that made the BIGGEST DIFFERENCE? Not wearing liquid sunscreen or lotion. Nada. No moisturizer on my face, either. I'm such an idiot that I never even though my precious Oil-Free SPF 45 from Neutrogena could have been the thing that was actually MAKING ME BREAK OUT IN THE FIRST PLACE! What a twisted cycle: there I was lapping on prescription medicines that were drying/irritating my skin and destroying its natural defenses, then I was applying this "non-comedogenic" sunscreen 7 days a week that was clogging up the pores!

Why didn't a dermatologist ever consider that this might have been the very root of my problem? Instead they were actually telling me to use it, saying "Oh, make sure you wear sunscreen every day, as long as it's oil free." Derrrrr. Of course, what was I expecting? These were the same idiots that were selling me a facewash containing Aluminum. Well, Aluminum doesn't belong in or on your body - and that sunscreen doesn't belong on your skin.

Why?

More chemicals = redness, hyper pigmentation, dryness, and more acne.

Fewer chemicals = healthier skin that heals. Period. To treat your acne naturally and get to a plateau so that you don't need products, go see a good, holistic aesthetician who peel off a few layers of skin and extract the pimples and pimples-to-be. It might be expensive but it will be the healthiest and most effective thing you can do for your poor, abused skin.

You body doesn't want to have acne. Your body wants to heal itself, and it will, if you'll just listen to it and get to a point where it will be able to. Extractions helped me get to this point where my personal healing could begin. A good online explanation of extractions - www.prplastic.com/extractions.

Products - although I bought mine on Ebay to save money.

Cleanser: Mineral Cleansing Concentrate

Toner: Rosehip Tonique

Treatment: Herbal Spot Serum

Makeup/SPF 30: Eminence Powdered Makeup

And last but not least, every morning in the shower I put a palmful of honey and ground cinnamon (I bought both of them at the dollar store!) and rub, rub, rub this into my skin. Both honey and cinnamon exfoliate, kill the bacteria, help reduce inflammation, and help fight free radicals. And if it drips into your mouth, it's rather tasty ;)

post-55451-1182480895_thumb.jpg

post-55451-1182480905_thumb.jpg

post-55451-1182481491_thumb.jpg

post-55451-1182480895_thumb.jpg

post-55451-1182480905_thumb.jpg

post-55451-1182481491_thumb.jpg

...i'm so happy 4u! it's nice to hear success stories on the board and share them.....i also live in NY....finished with accutane 3 months ago and was left with scars and redmarks.....which spa did u go 4 ur facial treatment?

...i'm so happy 4u! it's nice to hear success stories on the board and share them.....i also live in NY....finished with accutane 3 months ago and was left with scars and redmarks.....which spa did u go 4 ur facial treatment?

That's so great! :) I can't wait for the day I'll feel like that!

One thing I'm concerned about is the cinnamon. Cinnamon is a strong sensitizer which means long term exposure causes immune reactions. I used cinnamon on my face for a while, and at first it was great...until a few weeks later I suddenly broke out in eczema. It took a month to go away completely. I'd hate to see you come so far only to do more harm to your skin down the road.

That's so great! :) I can't wait for the day I'll feel like that!

One thing I'm concerned about is the cinnamon. Cinnamon is a strong sensitizer which mean long term exposure causes immune reactions. I used cinnamon on my face for a while, and at first it was great...until a few weeks later I suddenly broke out in eczema. It took a month to go away completely. I'd hate to see you come so far only to do more harm to your skin down the road.

Congrats! I think balancing fats and avoiding gluten could work like a charm for many. What do you think the major contributing factor was for you?

What do you eat on a daily basis? List the foods. It's hard to avoid gluten, but I am trying again :)

i agree with OP

here is what i have done to seriously reduce inflammation and oil production to almost nothing throughout the day

- a fair amount of raw veggies in each meal, except breakfast (not enough time to chew so much)

- 3-4 liters of water or more if you are doing vigorous training

- balance the fats as mentioned, minimize omega 6 sources (nuts, seeds, cooking oils, eggs) and

overdose with fish oil

- avoid gluten as mentioned, in particular wheat gluten, other grains like oats seem to cause much less reactions

- saw palmetto, very good stuff particularly for oil production

- remove all simple carbs, period except for post-workout

it is too hard to avoid gluten for breakfast (don't want elaborate meal planning/cooking time for breakfast) so i stick with cooked oats there

Congratulations! :D I've always wanted to try the honey and cinnamin thing.. I hear its great. Anyways, what birth control are you on out of curiousity?

Congrats! I think balancing fats and avoiding gluten could work like a charm for many. What do you think the major contributing factor was for you?

What do you eat on a daily basis? List the foods. It's hard to avoid gluten, but I am trying again :)

Congratulations! :D I've always wanted to try the honey and cinnamin thing.. I hear its great. Anyways, what birth control are you on out of curiousity?

what kind of chemical peels did you do? like what was the chemical agent..

i'm interested in them b/c of my anti-inflammatory acne. thanks!

what kind of chemical peels did you do? like what was the chemical agent..

i'm interested in them b/c of my anti-inflammatory acne. thanks!

Thank you so much for writing all that out, gives me some good tips. Your diet is really clean, no bad things at all! Must feel really good.

I am having withdrawal going off of gluten again. I just stopped and man, my body is craving it hardcore but I have to just say no. I feel better physically and internally, but those cravings! I even ate some ice cream to see if it was a dairy craving but it wasn't. I still feel that urge to eat some some carbs. I never realized it would be this strong. I'm almost restless

Thank you so much for writing all that out, gives me some good tips. Your diet is really clean, no bad things at all! Must feel really good.

I am having withdrawal going off of gluten again. I just stopped and man, my body is craving it hardcore but I have to just say no. I feel better physically and internally, but those cravings! I even ate some ice cream to see if it was a dairy craving but it wasn't. I still feel that urge to eat some some carbs. I never realized it would be this strong. I'm almost restless

I know that feeling! It's rough, but it does pass eventually. I had intense cravings for ice cream too. I gave in once (and it tasted soooo goooood!!) and paid for it for the next week. Man those craving suck though. I used to be really good at dealing with cravings, I just knew it would pass and would wait it out. But it seems that over time it gets harder to do when I try a new diet. All the more reason to stick to it in the first place though...lol

Romeo, good luck with your gluten! It's hard, I know... if you haven't already, you should at least go to a health food store and get gluten-free pasta, bread, pancake mix, the works.... Don't just get a few things and save money, really stock up your kitchen so that you'll be prepared for when those cravings strike....

I think the important thing is to NOT beat yourself up. We're all human, and unfortunately here our bodies deal our toxic environment in a particularly annoying way. There was a while when I would get these strong cravings for (sounds silly I know) COOKIES. This cafe near my school sells these amazing white-chocolate-macadamia-nut cookies, I used to want one every single day after school, they were so addictive. I realized that I could eat healthy the rest of the day, organic, raw, whatever, but that one cookie could sabotage my efforts. That's when I realized that a cookie could never taste as good as having clear skin feels...

you know, I used to think - "Oh, I have acne, I must not be as healthy as other people, my body must not be as good at dealing with toxins" - but now I think it's just not true. I've had friends with beautiful skin who would complain about dealing with things like wretched menstrual craps that paralyze them, or constipation, or just plain being sick and tired all the time, or fluctuating weight gain. I've never had any of those things, so I realize now that my acne was just my body's way of dealing. The pity is that my pain was written over all of my face, and everyone else could deal with their stuff in private...

Now that it's gone, I am glad (not that I HAD IT!) but that it made me so much more aware of myself and health issues, and that now I can be truly more empatheticfor other people. I am not terrible looking otherwise, and I'm pretty sure that, if I had been one of the 2% that's always had perfect skin, I would be a real bitch. So in a way, things really do happen for a reason.

I know this may sound crazy, but what you said really helps me alot, especially how you're right: acne is just our bodies way of dealing with what other people deal with in other ways. It's almost like a blessing in disguise at times where it forces us to make choices that are good for us too. So that's a plus in a way!

I never thought about that, gluten free pasta... I honestly thought that never existed, like an oxymoron. What else do they add in it? Refined starches or just something else? Tell me more. I will actually go and make a trip and stock up at whole foods.

Thank you for your time and help, trust me, it has not gone to waste!

i've bought gluten free pasta before, it comprises mostly of rice if i remeber correctly, not that nice, but its ok, a bit bland. however, rice has a high GL, not that i care because i have my rice crispies and rice milk every morning. also trying to cut out grain, but the gravings is intolerable some days. my acne has cleared up completely now after 2 weeks on tane. i have a prescription for 4 moths so that gives me some time to completely stop eating grains.

I know some people worry a lot about the glycemic index, but I don't. Unless you're a diabetic or hypoglycemic, there doesn't seem to be much to worry about. I think people should be more concerned about the quality of their food than just how high it is on the GI index. I mean, I've been eating fruit (and dried fruit) several times a day, and I've never felt better.

Here are some of the things you can get at Wholefoods:

Gluten-free pasta

Nana's Gluten-free cookies

Food for Life Breads- visit their Gluten-free section.

Arrowhead Mills Organic Corn Flakes

Health Valley Rice Crunch-Ems

Wholefoods Gluten-free Bakehouse

Bob's Red Mill Gluten-free Baking Products

Amy's Instant Dinners - Check out their Gluten-free Pizzas

But you can find these products anywhere, not just at Wholefoods. Your local healthfood store probably has some sort of corn or rice pasta.

If you eat these substitutes, stay away from processes foods that contain malt, maltodextrin, and other gluten-like substances, and on top of this are eating lots of fruits and vegetables, I can't imagine you having a real problem changing your diet.

The Joy of Pasta is the best one I found. Most wheat free pastas have rigid time limits on how long you can boil them before they turn to mush. They also usually have a really bad texture...it's like it's always undercooked feeling. The Joy of Pasta doesn't have a time limit on it, and the texture is perfect. It even says on the package that it can get over boiled for quite a while before it's a problem. So for me, that's the way to go for wheat free pasta.

I know some people worry a lot about the glycemic index, but I don't. Unless you're a diabetic or hypoglycemic, there doesn't seem to be much to worry about. I think people should be more concerned about the quality of their food than just how high it is on the GI index. I mean, I've been eating fruit (and dried fruit) several times a day, and I've never felt better.

Here are some of the things you can get at Wholefoods:

Gluten-free pasta

Nana's Gluten-free cookies

Food for Life Breads- visit their Gluten-free section.

Arrowhead Mills Organic Corn Flakes

Health Valley Rice Crunch-Ems

Wholefoods Gluten-free Bakehouse

Bob's Red Mill Gluten-free Baking Products

Amy's Instant Dinners - Check out their Gluten-free Pizzas

But you can find these products anywhere, not just at Wholefoods. Your local healthfood store probably has some sort of corn or rice pasta.

If you eat these substitutes, stay away from processes foods that contain malt, maltodextrin, and other gluten-like substances, and on top of this are eating lots of fruits and vegetables, I can't imagine you having a real problem changing your diet.

I have family in Houston, but I've never been there. I live in Portland Or, but I want to live in California soon!!

I have family in Houston, but I've never been there. I live in Portland Or, but I want to live in California soon!!