Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hey im 17 yrs old and ive had acne since i was 13. It started out very mild and gradually got worse each yr to where im at the end of my junior yr and its been at its worse this whole yr. Since its summer, my skin usually gets bad because its oily but its not as oily as last summer which is good sorta. I've been on minocycline for awhile and it does an okay job but i become immune eventually. I also take nicomide which helps a little from time to time. For the most part of the last two yrs my skin has been severe i guess u could say even though i hate to say that. Ive been to a dermatologist a few times and he always wants me to go on accutane but i never want to have to take it. My parents dont want me to either because my family has a history of depression and since the side effects can cause depression its a big risk im not wanting to take plus it takes too long to work. I was wondering if anyone knew of any medicine that is as strong or stronger than minocycline that show results soonish? Any help would be great...

Minocycline is one of the strongest, if not the strongest, antibiotics. If your doc is suggesting Accutane and you have tried oral antibiotics and topicals with minimal success, you should really consider Accutane if your acne is severe. You really don't want to scar from your acne. You will regret it. My skin was ravaged in a 3 month period. I waited 2 months too long to get the right treatment for it because I was stubborn. And I regret it big time now.

There are many other antibiotics that will work for acne; you could ask your doctor for another since the minocycline doesn't seem to be working for you.

There are also topical antibiotics, and topical retinoids that work very well for many people.

Remember that with any antibiotic therapy, it's a lot safer to also take a probiotic and/or eat yogurt with live active cultures to replenish the 'good' bacteria that the antibiotic kills.

thank you all for the help. Mino has helped me though from when ive used it and has made things calm down in some ways. My problem is that my stomach a few times cant handle it that well and yes i do have my yogurt alot and that seems to help. I think and i hope though that i am startin to grow out of it a little. Last few summers id get a terrible breakout all over my face because of oily skin but this summer ive had not as big a breakout that i hope is starting to clear up.