Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rosiecotton

Tri-sprintec problems...

Hello everyone, I'm new to the site. I started tri-sprintec, the generic form of orthotricyclen because it's a lot cheaper, almost two weeks ago. I have always had bad acne, but these past few days I just wanna crawl into a paper bag because it has never been so horrible. Since starting the pill, I have had a constant headache. I have always struggled with headaches and migraines, but this has been a constant for almost two weeks now.

Before starting the pill, I was on doxycycline and it seemed to be keeping my skin moderately clear. But I stopped using it because anti-biotics lower the effectiveness of the pill.

I know I haven't given this pill a try for very long, but I don't know if I should try to stick it out or not. I've been reading a lot of posts from websites about how horrible tri-sprintec is, so I was wondering if anyone could share their experience? Did anyone ever have a good experience while being on it?

I used Trinessa which was a generic for Ortho and after three months I was locking myself inside my house b/c it was so bad. Keep in mind it may take a while to get used to it (3 months at least) but remember, generics are NOT the exact same. I am on Yasmin now which isn't really making a difference yet (6 weeks in). It's not making it worse though so I'm sticking it out.

Yeah I would say, if you are having a BIG increase in acne, even if it is just the first month, then seriously consider a pill switch or trying the name brand. I got off the pill in December, started breaking out mildly in March, started Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo on April 1st and by May 1st I had severe acne. I continued to take OTC lo through May and it just got worse and worse! I wish I had stopped after the first month. I started a topical antibiotic towards the end of my 2nd pack of OTC lo and I saw only minimal improvement. I switched to Lo/Ovral 3 weeks ago, which is a pill I took for several years, and I have noticed a dramatic decrease in breakouts. Now I know this could be due to the antibiotic, but I really noticed an almost immediate decrease in breakouts after my last week of active pills on OTC lo. I've never had that kind of reaction from a pill, and I've tried about 5 different pills. I've had increased break outs from some but nothing like that, where it got so bad so fast. So just beware.

I think Ortho Tri-cyclen helps most people with acne, but I have read about a lot of people who had reactions like I did. The generic of that pill is definitely crap, from what I've read, so it is possible you wouldn't have the same reaction from the brand name. For me, I have to use the Lo/Ovral brand drug, I have more side effects from the generic. I don't care what the pharmacists say, the generic drugs often can affect people differently than the name brand. Good luck!

Yeah I would say, if you are having a BIG increase in acne, even if it is just the first month, then seriously consider a pill switch or trying the name brand. I got off the pill in December, started breaking out mildly in March, started Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo on April 1st and by May 1st I had severe acne. I continued to take OTC lo through May and it just got worse and worse! I wish I had stopped after the first month. I started a topical antibiotic towards the end of my 2nd pack of OTC lo and I saw only minimal improvement. I switched to Lo/Ovral 3 weeks ago, which is a pill I took for several years, and I have noticed a dramatic decrease in breakouts. Now I know this could be due to the antibiotic, but I really noticed an almost immediate decrease in breakouts after my last week of active pills on OTC lo. I've never had that kind of reaction from a pill, and I've tried about 5 different pills. I've had increased break outs from some but nothing like that, where it got so bad so fast. So just beware.

I think Ortho Tri-cyclen helps most people with acne, but I have read about a lot of people who had reactions like I did. The generic of that pill is definitely crap, from what I've read, so it is possible you wouldn't have the same reaction from the brand name. For me, I have to use the Lo/Ovral brand drug, I have more side effects from the generic. I don't care what the pharmacists say, the generic drugs often can affect people differently than the name brand. Good luck!

I have been on tri-sprintec for 8 months, and before I was on some generic low dose ( i can't remember the name) and she perscribed this one to clear up my acne but I never saw an improvement. But I have noticed that right after my period ends, my skin clears up, and once I start the pills, i break out again. So i am going to experiment and take a month off (they didn't send me this month's anyway) to see if maybe it is the pills screwing me up. I have a bunch of other problems with taking the pills, lack of libido =( and very emotional. Is there any bc that doesn't have such bad side effects or is it just the nature of the pill??

So it was my senior year and I was suffering from acne. How horrid right?! I have trying everything. Name it and I've probably tried it. I've even gone to a dermatologist. Well a friend of mine suggested I go on birth control and I gave it thought. I told my mom and she freaked. So that was out of the picture. My acne has progressively gotten worse but of course I have had those times where its under control. Currently, I'm sick of it. So I decided to heck with what my mom said and go on BC. I went to my doctors and told him that I wanted BC for my acne and I wanted Ortho tri cyclen lo however my insurance didn't cover it and I got stuck with the generic- Tri-sprintec. Well the point is I've honestly been tired of seeing everyone else with such a pretty face but me. I looked around on websites to see what people said about tri sprintec and everywhere I went to had horrible reviews. I was very skeptical about it and my pharmacist insisted that it was the same. I tried it. It has only been a month that I've been on it and honestly, it has helped me CONTROL my acne. I'm only writing this review because I hope it helps who ever is skeptical about trying it, take that risk. Everyone's face is different. ;)

My skin cleared up somewhat on Tri-Sprintec, but it also made me crazy-hungry and I gained 10 pounds after three months on it even after completely cleaning up my diet, counting calories, and working out regularly. I had never had weight problems before starting Tri-Sprintec, and my weight dropped back to normal after being off it for a month and a half. I'm now 107 lb and maintaining it with absolutely no effort despite my pigging out on holiday food (which is probably causing another acne flare-up, but that's totally my fault).

When school starts back on Monday, I'll talk to a campus gyno about starting Yaz or Yasmin.

I have been on tri-sprintec for 8 months, and before I was on some generic low dose ( i can't remember the name) and she perscribed this one to clear up my acne but I never saw an improvement. But I have noticed that right after my period ends, my skin clears up, and once I start the pills, i break out again. So i am going to experiment and take a month off (they didn't send me this month's anyway) to see if maybe it is the pills screwing me up. I have a bunch of other problems with taking the pills, lack of libido =( and very emotional. Is there any bc that doesn't have such bad side effects or is it just the nature of the pill??

Hi there, I am having that exact experience!!! Right before I start my new pack every month, my skin is completely clear, and the day I start pill 1, 4-5 cyst like acne shows up overnight. I know it's been a long time since your post and you probably don't even have acne problems anymore...but can you tell me what ended up happening? Did you stop tri-sprintec? What birth control ended up working for you. I figure since we had the same reaction to tri-sprintec, our bodies are probably more alike, so whatever BC works for you might work well for me too. Thanks.

I HAVE THAT PROBLEM TOO!!! and i also have raging hormones when i go on the sugar pills for a week but that's a whole different story. I think it is the sudden drop in hormones that makes your skin do that. I have Medicaid which you can get through any health department for free if your a student. You will most likely qualify. My doctor at school wrote me percriptions and I get them for free bc of Medicaid. She wrote the prescription to take two packs simultaneously, take week one out of each pack, then take week two out of each pack, and continue. YOU will prob skip your period and only have it six times a year but it will be worth it. What I am doing right now is just taking three placebos and then starting a new pack.

So it was my senior year and I was suffering from acne. How horrid right?! I have trying everything. Name it and I've probably tried it. I've even gone to a dermatologist. Well a friend of mine suggested I go on birth control and I gave it thought. I told my mom and she freaked. So that was out of the picture. My acne has progressively gotten worse but of course I have had those times where its under control. Currently, I'm sick of it. So I decided to heck with what my mom said and go on BC. I went to my doctors and told him that I wanted BC for my acne and I wanted Ortho tri cyclen lo however my insurance didn't cover it and I got stuck with the generic- Tri-sprintec. Well the point is I've honestly been tired of seeing everyone else with such a pretty face but me. I looked around on websites to see what people said about tri sprintec and everywhere I went to had horrible reviews. I was very skeptical about it and my pharmacist insisted that it was the same. I tried it. It has only been a month that I've been on it and honestly, it has helped me CONTROL my acne. I'm only writing this review because I hope it helps who ever is skeptical about trying it, take that risk. Everyone's face is different. ;)

I agree w/ your post. I was on brand-name ortho tri-cyclen for YEARS, and then went to Tri-sprintec because my insurance changed and it was cheaper. It has worked exactly the same for me. I think it depends on the person and their individual body. 1 size definitely does not fit all.

i'm in the exact same situation. i would love to graduate in the spring with a clearer face than i have now. i have had acne ever since i can remember have done literally everything. i have even taken accutane, which is supposedly the best thing you can do. my face is still covered in acne. i'm starting tri sprintec in a few weeks and i hope my experience goes as well as yours did. after all of these terrible reviews, it's nice to know that theres still some hope. :)

Group: Members

I am 17 years old and i started tri sprintec for my acne, only. Before my acne was acting up, but today is day 39 of the pill and my acne is severly worse, than when I began. I guess i should keep taking it, hopefully i will start to see a change for the better in the next couple of months. Did anyone else have this, and then it got better?

Just wanted to let you know that I am also using Tri-Sprintec and it has done wonders for my face. My face used to be a big pimple. I struggled with acne for years and nothing helped. I finaly have a clear skin and get a small pimple when I am on my period, but nothing you even notice. What I also recommend to use is the acne solutions 3 step system from Clinque. It's very inexpensive and you will love it. Their foundation is also amazing! I have extremely oily skin and it stays on all day. I hope my advice helps because I know how horrible it is to look in the mirror and see a bunch of pimples.

Just wanted to let you know that I am also using Tri-Sprintec and it has done wonders for my face. My face used to be a big pimple. I struggled with acne for years and nothing helped. I finaly have a clear skin and get a small pimple when I am on my period, but nothing you even notice. What I also recommend to use is the acne solutions 3 step system from Clinque. It's very inexpensive and you will love it. Their foundation is also amazing! I have extremely oily skin and it stays on all day. I hope my advice helps because I know how horrible it is to look in the mirror and see a bunch of pimples.

How long have you been on it? I'm starting it in like 2 weeks...and I'm hoping all goes well. Did you break out when you first started it? Thanks!