Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
charlac

How do I prevent benzoyl peroxide from bleaching my clothes?

I looked at some shirts I wore in the summer and I notice they are bleached on the inner collar. I use to think it was bleach leftover from previous laundry but I realize it must be benzoyl peroxide. Is benzoyl peroxide still active when you re wet it by sweating or by rinsing your face? What is the best preventive measure to not destroy your clothes?

don't wear clothes.. or better yet, don't get the BP on your clothes, it's not meant for clothes, it's meant for pimples

I looked at some shirts I wore in the summer and I notice they are bleached on the inner collar. I use to think it was bleach leftover from previous laundry but I realize it must be benzoyl peroxide. Is benzoyl peroxide still active when you re wet it by sweating or by rinsing your face? What is the best preventive measure to not destroy your clothes?

i've also found that theres some red dye that seems to be completely immune to bleaching.... them cheap Cedarwood State tshirts are made from it

LOL, oh yeah I don't miss that at all. I remember I was at summer camp and someone pointed out that my favorite greenish-teal shirt was orange in the back. I went to the bathroom and looked and there were several splotches. That's when I learned that it was BP giving my collar that orange or white ring....

If' you've got body acne, you can' t use BP unless you plan on washing it off. So if it wasn't for the dark marks, the itching, or the bleaching....I may have still been using it ;-) Oh well..

Well, with bacne and BP you can wear a white tee shirt so it shields your regular shirt.

Let's see: what to do for the jaw-line to shirt collar transfer during sweaty days. Maybe carry around tissues and regularly blot your facial skin where it would come in contact with clothing? Wear a bandana for neck transfers? -- give yourself a new look! smile.gif

Skin

I noticed that it turned the collars of my shirts red aswell, so now I just take off my shirt when applying BP. You should also wear crappy shorts (or no shorts, haha) when applying because little drops of BP will manage to get on them.

Egads! This explains what's been happening to my gym clothes and sweaters...

Apparently, BP spreads <B>very rapidly</b> through sweat. All my non-white workout gear is damaged, and shirt collars (esp. green), and sweaters... Apparently, I sometimes wipe my face with my shirt, which explains the bleached spots at the tummy. Oy! Time to switch...

Thanks for writing this up, everyone - I thought i just had freaky sweat.

I have this problem too... now I wear fleece when I'm applying BP because I find that fleece shirts dont bleach.