Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RandyClark

My experiences with dermabrasion, artecoll, glycolic acid...

Hello all,

Just discovered this wonderful board and wanted to share my experiences with scar treatments over the past 4 years. Besides experiences, I'm also going to share some opinions I've formed (based on what I've learned from my treatments and research). Hope this info helps someone out there!

General foreword - Experience has thought me that you should not judge results until at least 3 months after treatment. There are MANY ways a treatment may seem to work and then have results that deteriorate in a few days/weeks/months. Swelling, for example, can temporarily improve scars by 90+%. Just keep this in mind the next time you read a post by someone stating they have found a fabulous new treatment that they used a week ago.

1). Deep dermabrasion (4 years ago): Excellent improvement in mild scars and 30% improvement in moderate scarring. I have olive skin and it took about 1 year for the redness to fade. Very embarassing! CO2 laser has largely replaced dermabrasion, but my doctor (who did both) told me that dermabrasion can generally work better for deeper scarring. CO2, alternatively, has less risks and is MUCH EASIER TO USE. This is why most doctors use it. Some people have posted having good results with Erbium, but (in general) I don't think it's very useful for anything more than very mild scarring.

2). Artecoll: 3 injections (3 years ago). I think this is the best filler currently available, but don't expect more than 15-20% permanent improvement per session. At least, that was my experience! Temporarily, you get more like 90% improvement, but the swelling dissapates and the collagen that suspends the microspheres is reabsorbed in a few months following treatment. Most doctors don't realize that the effect is so minor as many patients do not return for evaluation. Still, with the possible exception of isolagen (which I have not tried), I cannot think of any injectable that works better in the long run. I truly hope it is approved in the US soon as it will be a blessing for many people who suffer from deeper scarring....where any improvement is helpful.

3). Mederma (2 years ago) - 0% improvement on any scar.

4). Glycolic acid (off and on for past few years) - High concentrations can provide good temporary results due to swelling and the removal of the upper epidermis. Repeated applications over a long course of time probably do provide minor permanent benefit. Not sure as it's difficult to critically evaluate very slow results over time.

5). Copper peptides (1.5 years ago)- I do believe there is science behind copper's merits as a healing agent. Unfortunately, I did not experience any benefits. In fact, skinbio's copper cream caused breakouts even after accutane.

6). Retin-A (off and on for past few years) - I only use the gel as any cream causes me to break out. As a scar treatment, I think it probably works very slowly and requires many years for a noticeable change. However, there is a good research to back up the claim that it does help form new collagen.

That's my info. Hope it helps. Thanks again for all the great info you everyone has shared on this board.

Experience has thought me that you should not judge results until at least 3 months after treatment.  There are MANY ways a treatment may seem to work and then have results that deteriorate in a few days/weeks/months.  Swelling, for example, can temporarily improve scars by 90+%.  Just keep this in mind the next time you read a post by someone stating they have found a fabulous new treatment that they used a week ago.

That was excellent. How does a physician determnine whether or not you are capable of having deep dermabrasion after accuatne use? This is what has been scaring me is that if I decide to have this done I could risk getting more scarring. It is hopeful to hear though that you had it done after accutane use. It is VERY IMPORTANT FOR ME to know however if deep dermabrasion is possible for me (especially since I feel I scar so easily now after having taken accuatne). I am considering going to the best(Dr Yarborough in New Orleans).