Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dardanelles

27 & Discouraged.

Meh. I'm 27 years old now, and I'm really sick of this garbage. Don't get me wrong: at this point in my life, my acne is pretty much mild. But it's also constant, in the sense that I can't remember a time since the age of 14 or so when my face was entirely clear. Trouble zones are the cheeks, temples and forehead, though not always all at the same time.

Somewhat more embarrassing and noticeable is the red and shiny nature of my face, and the oiliness. I don't even know if this is caused by the product I use, as it always seems to be this way. And that's the rub: if I stop using any form of acne treatment, I feel rather certain I will break out worse. Using the acne treatment almost certainly exacerbates the redness and shinyness. I feel like I can't win. Although this is common for everybody of roughly my age and older, I look around at my friends and acquaintances and see NOBODY with a problem quite like this.

I used Clenia wash for about 2 1/2 half years and while it may have worked to a degree (by which I mean, if I HADN'T used it it would have been worse), I did not see any major improvement. Since the beginning of April, I've used Brevoxyl 4% creamy wash and it's the same story. Yeah, if I stopped I'm sure the acne would be more significant and would last for longer. But it certainly doesn't stop new ones from showing up (FYI: I get relatively small but fairly numerous red bumps that only occassionally come to a whitehead).

Now June is around the corner. I really have tried (and will probably continue to try) to be patient and not be an idiot about it like I might have done when I was 16. I don't scrub my face. I don't wash it too often during the day. I don't scrub the Brevoxyl in to irritate my face, I don't use it more than reccommended by the dermatologist. I know many people say you need to wait 6 weeks to really see improvement, so I did without complaining, but I feel like it's just the same old story once again now that's been more like 8 weeks.

I use Brevoxyl 4% twice a day. Moisturizer when necessary and only where needed. I avoid being out in the sun, certainly not without a hat. Hey, I've even taken fish oil pills since mid-April just to see what would happen, as I make sure it's mercury-free and at the very least it couldn't hurt.

And here I am, after 13 straight years of acne, in the same old situation I've been in (and the same "severity" in terms of acne--mild but persistent--that I've been in since my early-mid twenties).

And on top of all that, I have the absolutely unrelenting redness, shininess, and big pores on my cheeks.

I have an appointment with the derm again next week for something unrelated but we can also talk about the complexion. And what difference does it make? He'll just tell me--barely hiding his own boredom--to keep doing the same thing. Or who knows, maybe he'll even tweak it a little. But it won't do a damn thing. 6 months, my face'll look the same, and I'll just have to deal with it.

I'm really tired of this, honestly.

Well, I know the feeling. Unfortunately, my family has some type of major resistant acne. Not to discourage you--but my dad had acne issues until his death, and he died an old man. I'm old enough to be your mom, and I have acne issues. Mine has morphed into a different form, though. I rarely ever get pimples, only deep rooted cysts that are far under the surface. grrrrr.

Have you ever thought of Accutane? I am on my 3+ course. (Yeah, you read that right.) But I'm happily on it. Each time I've been on it, I've seen more long term improvement. I'm hoping this will be the last time I'll need to take it to forever have a clear face. ;)

Through my zillion years with acne, here are some tips I've learned. I avoid perspiration like the plague. Things always worsen for me during the summer months, so I try to hang out in a/c as much as posible. I'm finding that mineral makeup is nice for oily skin, especially when it's warmer weather.

Your reddish skin: is that Rosacea? And the shininess can be managed a bit with those oil blotting papers. I know Mary Kay makes some. I've also heard of ladies using the center part of those toilet seat lining papers from public restrooms in a pinch! (Just rip out that center section, use to blot your face, and then use the remaining part of the toilet seat cover for its intended purpose!)

Since I'm old enough to be your mom, I'm going to give you motherly advice. ;) Your acne issues are big issues to you, and a definite struggle. You probably know what I'm about to say already, and it will become more evident the older you get: Most people, if not everyone, has an issue (or issues) they struggle with. Your friends/acquaintances with clear skin might be struggling with something even worse and you have no idea what it is. Unfortunately, our (acne) struggles are just front and center for the whole world to see. :shifty: But your friends and acquaintances look past your acne and can see YOU, not your acne! :dance:

HTH,

dsal

i hear ya.

feel your frustration too

i have had acne since I was a little girl, but my face exploded in grade 9.

it's mild now, mainly hormonal, nothing cystic, but its a constant thing

i've had some improvement over the years

but i always have a flair up once a year or two

and even if my face is clear, i still have to put up with scars, red marks and things like that

ill never have halle berry skin and it's just something that i finally accepted in my late 20's

once i accepted it, i felt better

but i haev moments of doubt here and there

but overall,i find a healthy positive attiude helps the most

I hear you. I just needed to vent. I'm very well this isn't the biggest problem in the world, and just in the realm of "health" issues, having some complexion issues is about as benign as you can get.

It's just frustrating and a self-esteem thing. I always told myself that (considering my acne was never severe...I bet you'd call it moderate when I was a teen), by the time I was 20, or 22, or 25, it would be over with. NOBODY else in my family has acne now, nor have they ever really. My younger bro never really did.

I don't think it's rosacea, but I can't be certain. Part of that might be my maternal side of the family, who are paler and can get redder especially when hot, cold, or out in the sun too much...but the shiny/red/oily combo seems to just be me.

I do use those oil blotting sheets but don't they don't seem to have much effect on the shininess. My skin seems really shiny to me even when dry.

I've had a few different dermatologists and none of them have ever suggested Accutane. And, despite my desire for a clearer and more even complexion, I'm not sure if the potential health risks are really worth it to me. I would just love for SOMETHING I try to make a dent in a problem that's really hitting my self-esteem pretty hard. I know on this board I'm among people with the same problem and the following is something probably everyone has said and may be tired of hearing, but: I CAN'T BELIEVE AT 27 THIS IS STILL HOW IT IS.

Like was said, this is just something I'm apparently going to have to get used to, perhaps for the long term.

But this is the confusing part, when you're dealing with multiple complexion problems. If I stopped using acne washes like Brevoxyl or formerly Clenia, maybe the shiny and red appearance would decrease. But then the acne would increase. If I treated the acne with something stronger and more effective (at least topically), the redness and shiny look would be even worse. Plus, with mild acne (as in, the zits themselves are seldom big, seldom deep, seldom come to a whitehead), I doubt my derm would even really want to give me anything more substantial than what I already have.

I wish I knew a way to balance the different objectives...treat the acne, but maybe either avoid the redness/shininess, or finding a product that could deal with those things that would not undercut the acne treatment. And I don't know who to even ask other than my derm, because anyone else in the more cosmetic field would just try to sell me something and I don't know if I can trust their advice.

Well, that's my venting. I keep waiting for a miracle, but I think it's time to get used to the fact that it's never going to happen.

Meh. I'm 27 years old now, and I'm really sick of this garbage. Don't get me wrong: at this point in my life, my acne is pretty much mild. But it's also constant, in the sense that I can't remember a time since the age of 14 or so when my face was entirely clear. Trouble zones are the cheeks, temples and forehead, though not always all at the same time.

Somewhat more embarrassing and noticeable is the red and shiny nature of my face, and the oiliness. I don't even know if this is caused by the product I use, as it always seems to be this way. And that's the rub: if I stop using any form of acne treatment, I feel rather certain I will break out worse. Using the acne treatment almost certainly exacerbates the redness and shinyness. I feel like I can't win. Although this is common for everybody of roughly my age and older, I look around at my friends and acquaintances and see NOBODY with a problem quite like this.

I used Clenia wash for about 2 1/2 half years and while it may have worked to a degree (by which I mean, if I HADN'T used it it would have been worse), I did not see any major improvement. Since the beginning of April, I've used Brevoxyl 4% creamy wash and it's the same story. Yeah, if I stopped I'm sure the acne would be more significant and would last for longer. But it certainly doesn't stop new ones from showing up (FYI: I get relatively small but fairly numerous red bumps that only occassionally come to a whitehead).

Now June is around the corner. I really have tried (and will probably continue to try) to be patient and not be an idiot about it like I might have done when I was 16. I don't scrub my face. I don't wash it too often during the day. I don't scrub the Brevoxyl in to irritate my face, I don't use it more than reccommended by the dermatologist. I know many people say you need to wait 6 weeks to really see improvement, so I did without complaining, but I feel like it's just the same old story once again now that's been more like 8 weeks.

I use Brevoxyl 4% twice a day. Moisturizer when necessary and only where needed. I avoid being out in the sun, certainly not without a hat. Hey, I've even taken fish oil pills since mid-April just to see what would happen, as I make sure it's mercury-free and at the very least it couldn't hurt.

And here I am, after 13 straight years of acne, in the same old situation I've been in (and the same "severity" in terms of acne--mild but persistent--that I've been in since my early-mid twenties).

And on top of all that, I have the absolutely unrelenting redness, shininess, and big pores on my cheeks.

I have an appointment with the derm again next week for something unrelated but we can also talk about the complexion. And what difference does it make? He'll just tell me--barely hiding his own boredom--to keep doing the same thing. Or who knows, maybe he'll even tweak it a little. But it won't do a damn thing. 6 months, my face'll look the same, and I'll just have to deal with it.

I'm really tired of this, honestly.

Just wanted to say that I can relate. I'm 27 as well, and while I've had acne since I was 16, it seemed to keep itself pretty much under control the past few years (still had it but it was mild)..but now it's coming back again and my skin looks like crap. I have tons of red spots that make-up just can't seem to cover, oiliness and dryness at the same time, and huge huge pores on my nose and either side of my nose that look terrible. My skin is blotchy too. Even with make-up I look like crap. I used to pray more than anything that I would just outgrow it - that if I could just survive the teenage years it would be okay. Apparently not - now I know I'm gonna have to live with this crap probably forever. Makes me really depressed. I"ve tried all sorts of things and I haven't quite managed to find anything that will clear my active acne AND cut down on dryness/irritation/oily/blotchy/huge pores. Like you said - seems like you can either have active acne and more even skin, or non-active acne with redness and shineyness and big pores.

Sucks. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone.

To deal with the shiny and/or oily skin problem, check out my earlier post:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...amp;pid=1854818

As an update, I received the Aloette Flawless. It is very matte upon application and looks somewhat powdery and white. Its oil control isn't as good as the original formula, but I wil continue to experiment with it. On the other hand, Orchid Gel gives a more natural appearance, but it won't disguise redness as well as the Flawless, which is tinted yellow.

Note: if you use a moisturizer that aggravates/increases the oil production, neither of the above silicone products will last all day long without blotting with a tissue once or twice. However, without the silicone products, my skin will look like a shiny lightbulb a few hours after washing, so I will never be without them.

By the way:

a) some claim that by minimizing the oil on the skin's surface with products like the above, it may decrease the development of breakouts and blackheads and

b) both manufacturers say these products can be used by men and women alike.

Good luck and don't give up the good fight. I'm much older than you are (Fred Flintstone was my next door neighbor) and I'm still searching for that elusive perfection.

Yeah, it feels a bit more embarrassing over the last few years because I feel more alone with this problem in my age group. When you're 16--and obviously there are severe cases, which luckily I didn't have--but when you're 16, at least it's just kind of par for the course.

Dardanelles, I'm going to jump in here, too. 27 as well, and the greatest lie I was ever told as a teenager was that I'd grow out of this (my parents and sister did, after all). Everywhere I go - parties, work, the grocery store - I look for other adults with acne, and never seem to find any. My husband, God bless him, smokes, drinks soda instead of water, even has oily skin, and NEVER breaks out. I don't know why we're still dealing with this, but at least it's good to know we're not alone. Thanks for starting this thread, my fellow 27 year old!

I'm 30 now and compared to most I only delt with cystic acne for a short time. But during that short time my self confidence plummeted my marriage suffered and I was a major bitch. It's try that with all the health problems out there acne shouldn't be a major deal but it is. You've gotten some fantastic replies here so I don;t want to just repeat them..:comfort:

Well, I know the feeling. Unfortunately, my family has some type of major resistant acne. Not to discourage you--but my dad had acne issues until his death, and he died an old man. I'm old enough to be your mom, and I have acne issues. Mine has morphed into a different form, though. I rarely ever get pimples, only deep rooted cysts that are far under the surface. grrrrr.

Have you ever thought of Accutane? I am on my 3+ course. (Yeah, you read that right.) But I'm happily on it. Each time I've been on it, I've seen more long term improvement. I'm hoping this will be the last time I'll need to take it to forever have a clear face. ;)

Through my zillion years with acne, here are some tips I've learned. I avoid perspiration like the plague. Things always worsen for me during the summer months, so I try to hang out in a/c as much as posible. I'm finding that mineral makeup is nice for oily skin, especially when it's warmer weather.

Your reddish skin: is that Rosacea? And the shininess can be managed a bit with those oil blotting papers. I know Mary Kay makes some. I've also heard of ladies using the center part of those toilet seat lining papers from public restrooms in a pinch! (Just rip out that center section, use to blot your face, and then use the remaining part of the toilet seat cover for its intended purpose!)

Since I'm old enough to be your mom, I'm going to give you motherly advice. ;) Your acne issues are big issues to you, and a definite struggle. You probably know what I'm about to say already, and it will become more evident the older you get: Most people, if not everyone, has an issue (or issues) they struggle with. Your friends/acquaintances with clear skin might be struggling with something even worse and you have no idea what it is. Unfortunately, our (acne) struggles are just front and center for the whole world to see. :shifty: But your friends and acquaintances look past your acne and can see YOU, not your acne! :dance:

HTH,

dsal

I just posted my first message and I had to respond to you immediately. You are sooooo not alone.

I'll be 29 this year and like the other respondents, the greatest lie I was ever told was "you'll grow out of it". I think that's what's made me so freaked out and intolerant. I don't think I should still be dealing with acne anymore.

Like they say misery loves company, so take comfort in knowing I'm right there with you. :dance:

I'm 27 and have acne, rosacea, and permanent redness, big pores. My skin also can't tan and i'm as pale as you can get, and i have a tons of freckles on my back, and my life was ruined by botched radiation therapy while this was underway, so consider yourself lucky.

Well, I went back to the dermatologist today. I was there for an minor and unrelated procedure.

He told me that my acne doesn't look very bad, which is true. It's more of a constant thing than a severity thing. As I've mentioned above, it's small red bumps, the brevoxyl 4% helps them go away quickly, but new ones show up.

And the acne itself is not the biggest problem with the appearance, as far as I'm concerned. It's the small but noticeable amount of acne, mixed with red, oily, shiny skin. The pores on my cheeks are quite large.

Anyway, he gave me a prescription for the Brevoxyl Creamy Wash 4% kit, which comes with a cleanser to be used before the creamy wash. I'm to use that morning and night.

He also gave me a presription for benzamycin gel (benzoyl peroxide 5% and erythromycin 3%) to be used just during the morning, after using the Brevoxyl wash, which is to be left on.

I have to admit I'm sort of nervous. I obviously really hope it works, and the brevoxyl on its own probably did help to a degree, and certainly helped get rid of outbreaks rather quickly once they occurred, but nothing too notable and certainly didn't clear me up.

However, I'm still afraid this is going to be a bit much. As I said, much of my self-conciousness has as much to do with the redness and shinyness as with the acne. Both the brevoxyl wash & the benzamycin gel? Yikes. I'm afraid my redness will go through the roof with all this medicine.

Well, as my irrelevant procedure today involved stitches, I'll be back in his office in two short weeks. At least hopefully if my face ends up looking like a shiny red chrome car he'll be able to re-evaluate then. But I don't even start with the benzamycin gel until tomorrow morning, and only the brevoxyl creamy wash tonight, which I've been using for over 2 months anyway.

Ya. This seems like a lot of meds, but he's considered to be an excellent dermatologist. I'm pretty apprehensive, at my age (27), this whole "it'll look worse before it looks better" line of thinking is starting to do a number on my self-esteem, especially when the end result is not a huge difference anyway (thus far, at least...hopefully this combo will be a success).

i'm right there with ya. i'm 25 and while i actually didn't have much acne through high school, after i graduated, my face kind of exploded.

i used all sort of different over the counter products, and even proactiv for awhile, but everything was to no avail. it was always persistent. i tried the dkr, and while it worked, my face was always red, itchy, irritated, and near intolerable. i quit for awhile, broke out, and tried to go back, but my skin just wouldn't tolerate it. i looked constantly sunburnt and flaked like crazy. anyway, i decided to give up everything completely and try to get my skin back to normal. i can honestly say, after two months of just starting to make sure my skin was hydrate properly, my skin is nearly clear. i'm still dealing with red marks, but i only have two actual zits right now, and that's because it's my time of month.

you talked about red skin, so i thought i'd share. it's hard... i didn't know what to do either and went to a derm that i didn't feel like gave me really the time of day. she was nice enough, but she basically looked at my face and wrote a perscription. she really didn't ask what i was using, what i had used, nor if i knew what kind of skin i had..... i had to learn on my own. i don't know if this helps, but good luck to you, and know you're totally not alone!! :)

I hope I'm not giving you false hopes here :doh: but benzamycin cleared me up within a month (my face was full of cystic acne at the time). I only used it at night though, because it doesn't absorb that well into the skin...it left a white-ish residue and made my skin feel tight. Maybe try using it at night if that's a problem for you. I can't really speak to how it helped with red, oily skin... I was happy enough that it got rid of the acne!! I use 2.5% BP gel now, and due to some of my bad habits and a stressful move, I'm breaking out again. Grr

Keep us posted. I'm 24 and have struggled with acne for 11 years...somtimes I DO feel like the only person my age who struggles with this, and it's comforting to know that others are out there.

Well, the only reason he told me to use the benzamycin gel during the morning instead of at night was because of the strong bleaching factor, in terms of sheets and pillows and whatnot.

I'm going to do exactly what he said at first, but if the result of the brevoxyl 4% creamy wash AND the benzamycin gel at the beginning of each day leads to, shall we say, embarrassing results during the day...I may do my one dosage of benzamycin at night instead and just screw the pillowcases. But as I said, at least at first, I just want to do exactly what he told me to do.

We'll see. Everytime this happens, the "adjustment period" or "worse before it's better" thing kind of depresses me, I know I'm in for a pretty unattractive and self-conscious few days...or weeks...or, nevermind...and I'm CHOOSING to do it. But if I can find something that finally gets this under control it's worth it.

I can't remember what I did as a teenager. I used the Clenia wash for a couple years and it didn't really do much. I used the brevoxyl 4% on its own for a couple months and the difference is there but small. Hopefully this combo will work, and won't irritate me that much.

When I mentioned the redness and shiny, oily look he seemed to at least imply that the benzamycin would help. Why do I get the feeling it will actually just do the opposite? I really don't want to look like a red stoplight. I guess I'm out of faith in any of this anymore, although everytime someone gives me something new I try to give it a chance.

man, i totally now where you are coming from. although i'm not 27 yet (23 here), i have been suffering through the same vicious cycle of acne. i gone through 3 courses of accutane, and although i don't get the major breakouts anymore, i still get lots of smaller pimples all over my face. it also comes in cycles too, so one week it would be clear, but in another week it would break out. it really sucks, and my derm already told me there really isn't anything else to do...

Hi everyone,

As a couple of people have already mentioned here, i'm so glad this thread has been started. It makes me feel better as people have said things which sound exactly how i feel. I have no great advice sadly, this is more one of those 'you're not alone' replies! :)

My acne is not servere, and for that reason it seems nobody is willing to take me seriously. My doctor and my dermatologist both said 'oh it's not that bad'. But i know what i see when i look in the mirror, and i see red blotchy skin, red marks that have been there for months, spots and new spots that are just starting to form. This has got so bad over the last 6 months or so that it has completely destroyed my self confidence. I'd like to know if it affects anyone else in a similar way, as i actually feel like it stops me from being the person i want to be. I don't even enjoy going out just lately because it's on my mind 24/7 that everyone must be staring at me. I had a phonecall from an old friend inviting me out for a drink, and i was tempted to make excuses not to go because all i could think of was 'what will he think about the state of my skin?!'. All i feel like doing most days is going home from work (nobody at work, older or younger seem to have acne!) and locking myself in my bedroom away from the world. I don't even feel like i can be around my family as they all have perfectly clear skin particularly my younger brother who is 19 (i'm 25) and i don't think he's had a spot on his face in about 5 years!! It's completely destroying me. I actually avoid looking in mirrors because i just hate what i see so much.

The dilemma i find myself in most of the time is this - how best to deal with it? Do i carry on the daily struggle against acne, wasting half my time and money on stuff that just doesn't work, waking up every morning and wanting to smash the mirror with frustration after noticing that 5 new spots have appeared on my face overnight? or do i go for the alternative - simply try to change my whole attitude towards bad skin. Sometimes i think if i could convince myself that it really doesn't matter, and 'so what if i have bad skin, who cares?' then everything will be ok even if i never grow out of it. People have all sorts of problems with their appearance, too fat, too thin, bad hair, bad teeth - i have none of these problems, just horrible skin. So why does it depress me so much? Anyone else feel the same way?

Well i guess thats enough from me but however you are all dealing with this nightmare, keep smiling and just remember we're all in it together!

Matt

Well i guess thats enough from me but however you are all dealing with this nightmare, keep smiling and just remember we're all in it together!

Matt

aw spider1981, i know the feeling. you can't let it stop you. you're last words were exactly what we all need to internalize.... we're not alone; other people struggle too, and you can't let it keep you from living life. there have been numerous times that i didn't want to go out because of my skin, and while i was conscious of it, i would rather be out that moping at home. it's psychological.... be optomistic and don't let it take over your life. people don't like you because of your skin, they like you because you're you. it's your aura and personality that people want to be around.