Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ok my daughter said it was ok to post some pics of her acne. I have to admit the pics are not very good quality and it is hard to see her acne. Her acne is small bumps that are skin color and closed but they are in heavy clusters so it tends to make her skin look blotchy and dirty and dry. She does have a few pimples that are red and open they are on her cheek and jawline and mouth around her lips. Acne around her mouth has always been more common but now she has developed a couple on her cheeks and jawline. Now one thing I noticed is that she never had these skin color breakouts till one day she used this really crappy sunscreen that rreaaly burned her skin and broke her out. It's kinda like her skin never healed up. These small pimples are not responding to anything topical. Some of the red ones will go down but they leave marks. She is getting so frustrated. I told her she should sign up but she is so busy with work, sports and finals right now she just can't find time to go on the computer.

this is her left cheek

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a236/zettamatt/cheek.jpg

close up her right side of chin it's blurry

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a236/zet...closeupchin.jpg

this pic shows her pores. Do they seem kind of big

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a236/zettamatt/pores.jpg

Right cheek

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a236/zet.../rightcheek.jpg

chin area that circled is one of the cluster areas that I am talking about that is a bunch of small skin color bumps. She laso has these on her cheeks. I know it's hard to see.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a236/zet...rightchin22.jpg

jawline. Like I said the red ones are few it's the flesh color ones that there a lot of

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a236/zet...ightjawline.jpg

This pic was taken of her just in February when her skin was clear.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a236/zet...orebreakout.jpg

Does anyone know why the small cluster ones are so resistant tp topicals?

ok my daughter said it was ok to post some pics of her acne. I have to admit the pics are not very good quality and it is hard to see her acne. Her acne is small bumps that are skin color and closed but they are in heavy clusters so it tends to make her skin look blotchy and dirty and dry. She does have a few pimples that are red and open they are on her cheek and jawline and mouth around her lips. Acne around her mouth has always been more common but now she has developed a couple on her cheeks and jawline. Now one thing I noticed is that she never had these skin color breakouts till one day she used this really crappy sunscreen that rreaaly burned her skin and broke her out. It's kinda like her skin never healed up. These small pimples are not responding to anything topical. Some of the red ones will go down but they leave marks. She is getting so frustrated. I told her she should sign up but she is so busy with work, sports and finals right now she just can't find time to go on the computer.

this is her left cheek

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a236/zettamatt/cheek.jpg

close up her right side of chin it's blurry

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a236/zet...closeupchin.jpg

this pic shows her pores. Do they seem kind of big

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a236/zettamatt/pores.jpg

Right cheek

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a236/zet.../rightcheek.jpg

chin area that circled is one of the cluster areas that I am talking about that is a bunch of small skin color bumps. She laso has these on her cheeks. I know it's hard to see.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a236/zet...rightchin22.jpg

jawline. Like I said the red ones are few it's the flesh color ones that there a lot of

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a236/zet...ightjawline.jpg

This pic was taken of her just in February when her skin was clear.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a236/zet...orebreakout.jpg

Does anyone know why the small cluster ones are so resistant tp topicals?

I was just thinking that one was I can describe her areas is like the picture of Jessica Simpson when they show her chin area for the pro active commercial.

gorgeous girl

few isolated spots are hardly noticeable

maybe the topicals she's using are irritating her skin? could do more harm than good...

sounds like hormonal acne to me, but it really doesn't look bad. You might want to take her to a derm just so it doesn't get out of control. You could also check out herbal supplements that people rave about around here (fish oil, zinc, vitamin E, evening primrose, etc.) good luck to you and your daughter :)

What does she wash her face with and do you know if she has any food allergies?

She was at one time exfoiliating with st.ives. Then she tried the baking soda but stopped that. Now she just cleanses her face with her stridex pads they have 0.5 SA then she applies her 10% BP and then her proactive sulfur mask. This has always helped but no more. She does this only at night. In the morning she just washes her face with water and applies cetaphil lotion then makeup. Like I said her face just never went back to normal after she used that crappy sunscreen oh yeah and she also was washing her hair with some funky shampoo that was suppose to make her hair grow faster. But she has since stopped using that when her face started breaking out real bad.

sounds like hormonal acne to me, but it really doesn't look bad. You might want to take her to a derm just so it doesn't get out of control. You could also check out herbal supplements that people rave about around here (fish oil, zinc, vitamin E, evening primrose, etc.) good luck to you and your daughter :)

She has gone to a derm and they gave her benzaclin that's when i noticed the small flesh colored pimples started coming out more. She has Dr. appointment on wed and I am going to ask him to run some hormonal tests and refer her to an allergist.

gorgeous girl

maybe the topicals she's using are irritating her skin? could do more harm than good...

it's not really the red marks that are that bad it's the tons of small flesh bumps that make her face look real blotchy and broken out. You just can't really see them in the pics

gorgeous girl

it's not really the red marks that are that bad it's the tons of small flesh bumps that make her face look real blotchy and broken out. You just can't really see them in the pics

St Ives products actually aggrevate acne, especially the scrubs. How about she buys a mild cleanser? Im using purpose. I highly recommend it and thats coming from someone who has highly sensitive skin.

I know a few people who are allergic to Cetaphil products

Her acne looks to be very mild--much milder than as you had described it before, I think, not even really inflammatory. Those red circles under her eyes look like irritation, not a good sign. I definitely think that what she's been doing is overkill for acne that looks to be primarily some closed comedones and that the various products and methods have been aggravating her acne. I think she needs to go with a very simple regimen with maybe the only active topical as salicylic acid or perhaps a retinoid, but probably not benzoyl peroxide, it will not do a thing for her kind of acne as I can see it in the pictures--and that 10% BP, drying SA pads, and sulfur mask are probably to blame for the irritation I can see. I think something like a basic unmedicated liquid facewash, one of Paula's SA products, a basic sunblock during the day since her skin will be more susceptible to sun damage (and thus more acne) with SA, and maybe a plain moisturizer for night like Complex 15 or Cetaphil would be the way to go here.

Her acne looks to be very mild--much milder than as you had described it before, I think, not even really inflammatory. Those red circles under her eyes look like irritation, not a good sign. I definitely think that what she's been doing is overkill for acne that looks to be primarily some closed comedones and that the various products and methods have been aggravating her acne. I think she needs to go with a very simple regimen with maybe the only active topical as salicylic acid or perhaps a retinoid, but probably not benzoyl peroxide, it will not do a thing for her kind of acne as I can see it in the pictures--and that 10% BP, drying SA pads, and sulfur mask are probably to blame for the irritation I can see. I think something like a basic unmedicated liquid facewash, one of Paula's SA products, a basic sunblock during the day since her skin will be more susceptible to sun damage (and thus more acne) with SA, and maybe a plain moisturizer for night like Complex 15 or Cetaphil would be the way to go here.

I have mentioned to her that maybe she should stop using some of the products, but she is afraid of breaking out even more. I think once school gets out for the summer she might give it a try. I was going to take her to an esthetician in a couple of weeks and I have been looking at paulas choice products. I ordered some samples of her cleansing exfoiliators and makeup.

Well since she has a doctor's appointment wednesday ask for antibiotics and ask her to get off the 10% BP or at least go to 2.5% BP and stop the salicylic acid since they "SHOULDNT" be used together its way too drying, she might end up with chemical burns which i ended up with in the past. Pretty much what cool as kim said but id add in aloe vera just cause of the sun burns.

Well since she has a doctor's appointment wednesday ask for antibiotics and ask her to get off the 10% BP or at least go to 2.5% BP and stop the salicylic acid since they "SHOULDNT" be used together its way too drying, she might end up with chemical burns which i ended up with in the past. Pretty much what cool as kim said but id add in aloe vera just cause of the sun burns.

what is a good brand of aloe vera? It does not cause acne? what about the ACV? Do you think that might help or do more harm? I see so many products and it starts to get so confusing.

HAHA yea it can be confusing, well from what i hear about aloe vera fresher is better (contains more chemicals that help fight bacteria and etc) but you can go to any store and try to buy 100% aloe vera and just use it as a moisturizer since its mostly water, no grease or anything. Dont worry about any other products for now such as ACV, just get her skin to repair itself for a while then worry about blemishes after that since any treatment will irritate the skin which it does not need right now.

after her skin is done repairing itself then you can worry about using ACV (apple cider vinegar) to remove those marks, i prefer brown marks to red marks anyday, my brown marks disappear in 1-2 months, redmarks anywhere from 3months-1yr

St Ives products actually aggrevate acne, especially the scrubs. How about she buys a mild cleanser? Im using purpose. I highly recommend it and thats coming from someone who has highly sensitive skin.

I know a few people who are allergic to Cetaphil products

well, i was reading about purpose and was really sold on it. The only thing that is I noticed in the ingredients it mentioned fragrance. I woory about anything with fragrance it irritates her skin something awful. But the new lotion they have out sounds nice it the one that reduces redness. Has anyone used it?

That looks pretty mild from the pics. It also looks like she has mostly non-inflamed acne, with just a few inflamed spots. While BP can help with this type of acne, what she really needs is something to exfoliate her skin - glycolic, salicylic, mandelic acids or possibly an over the counter retinoid like Derm A Gel or Green Cream. Facials with extractions would probably help too. Honestly, from those pics it doesn't look like she needs strong prescription level treatments. Maybe the acne isn't showing up that much in the photos?

Her derm may try to put her on something like Differin or Retin-A, which has the potential to make mild acne worse for some people (this is what happened to me). It made some of the non-inflamed spots I had get inflamed. At minimum, it gives most people an initial flare of their acne, which will sometimes resolve after the skin adapts to the product. That may take several months though. Derms seem to downplay this initial breakout though - mine told me my skin would not get much worse when I started Differin. Boy was he wrong!

Curious as to why you think it might be allergy related? It doesn't really look like an allergic reaction from what I can see in the pics.

Looks fairly mild, so you don't want to use anything too harsh. I recommend the following:

Dove Cool Moisture Foaming Facial Cleanser

8+ cups of water a day

Eat healthy

Vitamins: E (200 IU) / C (500mg) / Fish Oil / Flax Seed Oil

makes me so sad to see a pic of a beautiful girl with bad skin. i mean she has perfect eyes and teeth and hair and then to have skin problems.

could be hormonal. u might find a derm willing to give her a microdose of accutane (isotretinoin). its usually used for severe acne. but in much lower doses it can get rid of small pimples, oily skin, and blackhead/sebaceous filament problems.

the microdose is usually like 5-10 mg every other day. maybe even 20 mg at first.

a 3 month course of that would eliminate her acne altogether for many years if not permanent remission. but you'll probably have to go to several derms to find one. she is scarring though so they may be sympathetic.

Her acne looks very mild hardly any inflamed spots which I think many people here will rather have. Those red patches show signs of irritation that tells me your daughter has sensitive skin. Stop the St Ive's product, its way too harsh on skin. I don't have sensitive skin and I don't even use it for the entire face. I only use it occasionally on blackheads around the nose only.

The 10%bp and proactiv sulfur mask is way too overkill for sensitive skin. Sulfur is an irritating agent especially sensitve skin and 10% bp might be way too drying. Stop the sulfur mask and tone down bp to 2.5%. If her skin still can't tolerate bp, try tea tree oil which is less irritating.

Benzaclin and bp won't do much use for the flesh colored bumps. They just prevent them from becoming inflammatory but won't bring them down so its useless. If she wants to get rid of those bumps, ask the derm for retinoids like differin or retin-a. Since I think she has sensitive skin, its better to go for the low concentrated ones. Otherwise OTC products like salicylic acid can work but you need to find a PH balance one. I personally don't use salicylic acid but I use Retin-A and seldom get those flesh colored bumps.

ACV does work to help the skin because it has some inflammatory effects and does exfoliate the skin and keep skin PH. However to use ACV there is a lot of trial and error because you need to mix the the composition correctly otherwise it would irritate the skin. Most people start at 50:50 but I tone it down to 30% ACV and 70% green tea. I'm also thinking of adding a few drops of tea tree oil to make it work at max.

Washing face with water isn't enough. Someone here said before even under the blasting force of water from the shower head isn't enough to get rid of the dirt and surface oils. You need to use a cleanser especially after using makeup.

makes me so sad to see a pic of a beautiful girl with bad skin. i mean she has perfect eyes and teeth and hair and then to have skin problems.

could be hormonal. u might find a derm willing to give her a microdose of accutane (isotretinoin). its usually used for severe acne. but in much lower doses it can get rid of small pimples, oily skin, and blackhead/sebaceous filament problems.

the microdose is usually like 5-10 mg every other day. maybe even 20 mg at first.

a 3 month course of that would eliminate her acne altogether for many years if not permanent remission. but you'll probably have to go to several derms to find one. she is scarring though so they may be sympathetic.

skin like that don't need accutane, it seems way too much. I had much worse skin then this before and my derm doesn't even give it to me

Chemical burns?? Elaborate...thanks. pics if possible.