Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
barb9000

makeup for asian eyes

Can you makeup experts please give me advice for how to make-up my eyes for daytime and night-time?

Not having much of a crease makes eyeshadow application tricky (my creases are maybe 5 millimeters above my lash line, if that, then just a flat expanse up to my eyebrow...)

I'm so envious of those perfect eyeshadow eyes!! :)

Eh I finally accepted the fact that I can't achieve the eyeshadow crease look due to the fact that my crease isn't that prominent and is perhaps too close to my actually lash line to pull off the look. But you can still achieve great looking eyeshadow eyes! It's all about what works best for you eyes.

What I usually do for a daytime look is add a light shimmery color on the entire lid (I use a Clinique eyeshadow in Penny..?) and then add a darker color (I use MAC eyeshadow in Texture) on the outer 1/3 of the lid. Then I'd blend the two colors just a lil bit and not too much because I still want to see a contrast in the colors. Aaaand there you go! It really makes your eyes pop and is very flattering too =)

I think the problem is many asian women tries to create a crease and all they end up is looking very artificial and fake. Instead of doing some complicated makeup trick, just remember the following rules:

1) mascara WILL open up your eyes and make a world of difference, you'll be amazed at how much bigger your eyes look

2) always curl your lashes, it brings more focus on your eyes instead of how flat your lids look

3) light colors bring recessed areas out while dark shadows make it recede. So you want to apply light shadows close to your lash line and on your crease bone apply a deeper color. Not only does it give the illusion of a crease in a more believable and natural way, it also make your eyes look rounder

4) don't put eyeliner on the bottom of your eyes, it makes your eyes look more squinty. Instead if you must, apply a light dusting of your crease shadow and blend, blend, blend!

5) wear light color contacts, I shit you not, it really opens up your eyes. My eyes look much bigger when I wear my purple or gray color contacts than if I just have my nature brown eyes.

6) my final suggestion is buy Jacelyn Tay's book "Makeup for Asian Women". I ordered it from Amazon for $19 after I got so frustrated with the beauty magazines and the makeup how to books from non-Asian makeup artist. This book literally open up my world of makeup potential, and she teaches you how to create the double lidded book the right way and she shows you how to wear makeup for day and night look. You will not regret it! She also has models of every Asian variety, not like those other makeup books with only Eurasian models who barely look like they have a drop of Asian blood.

thnx spikey for the book suggestion. :)

yea, i can't really pull off eye makeup either. it's just mascara for me everyday. lol.

when i get to urge to wear eyeliner and eyeshadow, i just do a thin line on the top of the eye, never bottom, normally it's black, but fun colors also work. i never liked brown though, since our iris is brown, so it doesn't make brown eyes pop so to speak. i do have a prominent "double eye lid", so i just use a single color inside the crease, haha, i never figured out how to do anything else. i'd never use colors with peach, pink, red, and purple tones, makes asian eyes look puffy and swollen.

highlighters n contour shadows can be used to create more dimension to asian features. in the eye area, highlight the brow bone and the corner of the eye (the corner next to the nose). i like to dab some highlighter in the middle of the bottom lashes, lol, it's really innocent looking.

search asian makeup tutorial on youtube. there's a couple really informative ones. pursebuzz has some really outrageous eye makeup videos. hope this helped.

I didn't know there were so many asian girls on this website. You should all PM me and we should celebrate! :D. Case closed.

:ninja:

That's what I thought. The girl in youtube had large eyes and somewhat of a prominent double lid, so I don't see how that really helps women who had small eyes and single lids. I still recommend any asian women with small single lids to get the Jacelyn Tay book. In it there are models with very small, almost invisible eyes with single lids and she does step by step application instructions to show how to apply eyemakeup. I was shocked how good those women look afterwards, especially their eyes. Yes it is a bit racially insensitive to show women with single lids how to create double lids (that's the biggest criticism from people of that book) but I rather I know how to create it and decide for myself and not know at all. My only frustration with that book is I have half double lid (meaning I have a prominent fold towards the outside end of my eyes but they get slanted toward the inside end near my nose) and that book didn't show how to put makeup on half double lids. I can't really apply makeup like they're single lids because it'll make my eyes look too heavily lined. If I apply it like I had full double lid I feel like I'm trying to create something that's not there and therefore look fake. These days I just apply eyeshadow with the light color emphasizing my half double lid and darker shadow on my crease. In a way it works out really well, my half double lid actually look very exotic.

I didn't know there were so many asian girls on this website. You should all PM me and we should celebrate! :D. Case closed.

:ninja:

i'm also Asian but my eyes don't have any lids at all, it's like hidden or something (it's different from the girl in the video) So what I do is just put eyeliner & sometimes liquid eyeliner, then eyeshadow to make my eyes look bigger.

this is how i usually put on my eye makeup.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a182/Limeu/azn_ice.jpg (sorry, i dont know how to use the link thingy...