Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wildside

How much biotin should I use to prevent accutane hairloss?

is this something you are experiencing now? I thought the hairloss was due to the dryness of the hair, would moisturizers help? I havent heard of using biotin

Hey-

Nah, I haven't experienced any hairloss yet. I'm only into my third week and missed 5 days because I couldn't get a refill, so I don't think I should be expecting anything yet. I've been reading on here about taking biotin being an effective hairloss prevention, but I can't find anything about how much to take.

Hi, I have been on accutane for about 3 weeks, and I havent had a problem with the hair- just the lips. I tend to have dry hair, and my derm told me that I might get drier to where the hair might break off. He also said it doesnt happen all that much. He just told me to use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. I am actually using a product called Biosilk that you can get at any JC pennys salon or probably any other larger salon. It isnt cheap but it lasts a long time. I just put a small amount on while my hair is wet. I like it because it makes my hair soft, but not greasy feeling.

I'm totally using the moisturizing shampoo also. My father was like completely bald by the time he was my age, and I'm not trying to take after him in that way (althogh I hear it skips generations). I need to get some conditioner too. I'm one of those people who usually doesn't give a crap about the brand of the shampoo and get the 99cent White Rain or something, but now I'm all examining closely to see which one has the best moisturizer and stuff.

I think use of regular moisturizing shampoos is fine. I would probably just add a leave in conditioner (unless you know that aggravates your skin), like humectrus by matrix ( there is an off brand at wal mart too that works well) or like I said, the BioSilk silk therapy. Its about 20 dollars but you dont need to use alot of it.

ya i totally agree with you all. Just use a good shampoo followed by a good quality conditioner. I'm on the 'tane and my hiar feels soft and silky and most importantly- FULL.

I thought that baldness comes genetically from the mothers side of the family and not the fathers. If I am right, then perhaps you have nothing to worry about. smile.gif

I read a study that tested biotin at 2.5mg per day.

The outcome was improved hair and nail brilliance over a period of 6months.

I suggest you take one 5mg tablet/capsule in the morning after breakfast. That way the Accutane wont have a chance to interfere or hinder it. Thats if you take your Accutane after dinner as most people do. But either way I wouldnt take them both at the same time.

I think it is wise you are supplementing with biotin when on Accutane.

Best of luck to you.

I have been taking acutane for 14 weeks and there has been many side effects and my hair loss is noticiable but i kept my hair not to long a to prevent addisional stress to hair. Also washing every other day helped with condisioner I use herbal essecnces the best shampoo and condisioner for me as i have stopped loosing hair.

I recomend experimenting with different shampoos and not using head and shoulders too regulary as for a fact it buggered up my scalp and iritated my head. now i have a receding hair line.

Best of luck to you,

Rich