Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I generally have only moderate acne, allbeit with a lot of scarring and red marks. For the last month or so I have had a large bump/swelling on my right cheek. I was hoping some of you guys could help me identify what it actually is.

It is under the skin and flesh toned, apart from a small dark area which looks brusied It isa bout the size of my thumbnail It is not inflamed as such, and is soft to the touch, like a bubble filled with liquid. It is not painfull usually execpt for a dull ache on my cheek occasionally. Is this a cyst, because it doesnt really look like any of the images of cystic acne I have seen. My doctor barely looked ar it and has put me eryhtrocin (erythromycin) 500mg twice a day, but this hasnt reduced it at all...

I generally have only moderate acne, allbeit with a lot of scarring and red marks. For the last month or so I have had a large bump/swelling on my right cheek. I was hoping some of you guys could help me identify what it actually is.

It is under the skin and flesh toned, apart from a small dark area which looks brusied It isa bout the size of my thumbnail It is not inflamed as such, and is soft to the touch, like a bubble filled with liquid. It is not painfull usually execpt for a dull ache on my cheek occasionally. Is this a cyst, because it doesnt really look like any of the images of cystic acne I have seen. My doctor barely looked ar it and has put me eryhtrocin (erythromycin) 500mg twice a day, but this hasnt reduced it at all...

Not necessarily. It should be smaller, but not necessarily gone. Some dermatologists (based on recent reading on the internet) suggest a 4-6 month course on antibiotics! I think that's too long, particularly if there is minimal improvement after one - three months. If overall (not just that one cyst) improvement is minimal after three months, I'd check with the MD and see if you could try another antibiotic. You could also ask for a cortisone injection (anytime), but keep in mind that the injection also has associated risks.

Ah, also try some anti-inflammatory meds like Naproxen sodium or Ibuprofen. Read the directions and don't take more than directed on the package. They are both available over the counter.

I'll bet it is a cyst. I used to get them all the time, the would start like you describe, not sore and not looking like the images we've all seen of cystic acne. Literally 3 seconds after I see each one, like a total idiot, I cannot leave them alone and then they become really big and nasty. So I would guess that if you attempt to do anything with the one you have, other than have it injected, it would turn nasty real quick !

So its eiether leave it alone completely or have it injected. Even after almost 2 years of dealing with them, I still cannot stop having a go at them and it really is a huge mistake and regret each time. I had to start Accutane to stop them from re-occuring. So much stress and oil just kept them coming all the time.

Thanks for the heads up with regard to erythromycin, my first 4 week supply is almost up and I havent seen any improvement (in the big cyst thing or any other acne). I don't think I'll rrnew my prescription. I headin away fro the summer in three weeks. Sunshime generally does wonders fot my acne, and I don't wan't to be left with photo sensitivity from the antibiotics.

I know this is off topic but how long doe you have to be off anti-biotics before you can safely get sun exposure?