Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TinkerBell333

REGIMEN: not so good

hi...ive been on the regimen almost 2 months now...it worked great in the beginning but now it doesnt work so well...ive been breaking out quit a bit around my chin and mouth...nowhere else though...it was controlling the acne at first but now my skin has gotten so dry that the acne is worse...i could NOT imagine what a 10% bp solution would do to my skin...holy cow.. :X i use moisturizer (purpose) and it still doesnt help...ive even exfoliated and that worked for about a week but the dryness came back causing more acne...i dont know what else to do...im gonna try applying just on acne bumps at night and all over face in the morning !! good luck everyone...write back with some suggestions

Hey. I had much similar results on the regimen as you are having, except I never cleared up at the beginning, rather my skin was the same for the first two months. It really sucked, I know how you feel. At the end of the 2 month mark, I went out and bought Eucerin Renewal Moisturizer. Previous to that I had been using the Neutrogena SPF 15 Moisture. Once on the Eucerin, I started applying it 2 times daily (once in the morning and once at night) each time I did the regimen. That was when my skin started clearing. I don't know if it was because of this or because I started using the Cetaphil Bar rather than the Purpose Bar, but I saw the results that I had been expecting before the regimen, and I cleared up completely (for a little while). I still have had a few breakouts since (I'm on month 3) but it still was FAR better than in the first 2 months. I did get like 4 cysts tho which was weird once I started using the Eucerin, don't know if I can attribute this to it, but it was strange cuz they were the first cysts I had ever had. Could've been something else, but they cleared up fast once I popped them with a pin (after they came to somewhat of a head). Man I've never seen so much pus in my life! :-# Anyways, my suggestions would be to:

1. Buy Eucerin Renewal w/SPF 15. It looks like this, but with light blue coloring where it's peach, and it says RENEWAL on it where this one says PROTECTIVE: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...BUY-PLST-0-SRCH

You could buy it there or at Rite Aid if you're in the US

2. Do the regimen 2 times daily, rather than just once daily and then spot treatment the other time. This'll be more effective.

3. Moisturize twice daily! It'll help a bunch and you're skin won't be dry ever.

4. Use the Eucerin. It's an excellent moisturizer (my face NEVER gets dry spots as opposed to my skin always flaking on the Neutrogena moisturizer I was using before), plus it has an Alpha Hydroxy Acid in it, which makes your face look great!

5. Try the Cetaphil Bar if you aren't satisfied with your current cleanser. It's a bit drying, but it lathers great and doesn't contain Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate (whichever one is the bad one) like the Cetaphil Cleanser thing that's not a bar does.

Hope this helped!

If I read your post correctly, you are not on the regimen. The regimen calls for 2.5% bp. I would never want anyone to use generous amounts of 10% bp. Nightmare of irritation that way.

Are you on 10% bp?

I think she meant she's getting a lot of irritation from the 2.5 % and can't imagine what the 10 % would do? dunno.

this is exactly what im using:

purpose cleansing wash (twice daily = morn - night)

neutrogena spot treatment (2.5% bp = twice daily / morn - night)

purpose moisturizer (twice daily = morn - might)

right now, im broke out really bad and i think its because my skin is too dry...im thinking about stopping regimen because it makes my make up look terrible ??? im totally clueless ](*,)

TinkerBell,

A couple suggestions:

1. switch to Eucerin Renewal alpha hydroxy lotion. It hydrates much better than the purpose, and works better with the bp.

2. switch to cetaphil gentle cleansing liquid. It hydrates while it cleanses.

-Dan

thanks dan, i will try the things you've suggested...i want to stay on the regimen but just not too sure what i should do...ive also thought it could possibly be my makeup and NOT the regimen thats breaking my face out...AAAAAH i hate acne !!! the makeup i use it all oil-free and non-codmegenic and says it wont clog pores...but they pretty much all say that so...ya know...well, thanks again !! i will keep everyone posted

Time of year perhaps, I always get it bad in winter month(s), also with all that rich christmas food and massive alcohol intake, breaks me out a bit.

slaughter...i never really thought of that...good point...my skin is so weird...its annoying HA...oneday it will be clear as can be and the next day broke out in 5 different places...i want it to go away so bad i just dont know what to do anymore...ive even been on accutane ..i mean, its not BAAAAAAAD...but its bad enough for me....feel free to keep giving suggestions...and THANKS everyone !!!!

Tinkerbell, I can sympathize with the dryness and then trying to put make-up on over it. Here are a couple of possible ideas. (Pardon me, Dan, that the first is not exactly part of "the regimen." Hope that's OK.) First let me say that I have been ecstatic with the results I have gotten from Dan's approach. Thanks a thousand times, Dan!! I had problems after a while with the dryness even though I use Neutrogena moisturizer. To minimize dryness but still keep outbreaks at bay, I use tea tree oil in the morning and 2% BP in the evening only now. I get the tea tree at The Body Shop. I've used both the stick with applicator and the oil that comes in the small jar. It is extremely effective. Tea tree is naturally antibacterial, antifungal, and medicates without drying. I've found it to work best for me this way.

Also, about the make-up... I know many, many liquid foundations say they are "non-comeogenic," (sp?) but that is not the most important part as I learned at the dermatologist's office a while back. One of the nurses was removing a few whiteheads for me, so I talked to her about make-up. She said you must read the label of ingredients and find one without "x-ingredient." Sorry, offhand, I can't remember the lengthy name. I'll try to post it tomorrow. Anyway, the make-up I found that doesn't have the no-no ingredient (and this is after go through many such as Almay, Revlon, you name it) is Cover Girl oil-free make-up. It must be the oil-free because the other types made by CG do have the forbidden ingredient. It has made all the difference. I used to use expensive foundations like Clinique and others. Now I use cheap-o CG.

So maybe this info will help. Hope so. Good luck because breaking out is the worst!!!

TinkerBell,

A couple suggestions:

1.  switch to Eucerin Renewal alpha hydroxy lotion.  It hydrates much better than the purpose, and works better with the bp.

2.  switch to cetaphil gentle cleansing liquid.  It hydrates while it cleanses.  

-Dan

Yeah, I use Eucerin Renewal. I'm in love with it. It is by far the best I've tried.

TinkerBell, the make-up issue is a tough one. I try to get people to not use make-up until they are completely clear since using make-up is throwing in a variable which can be comedogenic depending on the person and the ingredients. What about using the tinted on-the-spot to just spot cover? That is usually a good option.

-Dan

dan:

im so glad u brought that up...i meant to ask the difference between the two...vanishing and tinted....ive bought the vanishing both times...i didnt know what the tinted formula was like...can u tell me about it ? thanks

Hey. I had much similar results on the regimen as you are having, except I never cleared up at the beginning, rather my skin was the same for the first two months. It really sucked, I know how you feel. At the end of the 2 month mark, I went out and bought Eucerin Renewal Moisturizer. Previous to that I had been using the Neutrogena SPF 15 Moisture. Once on the Eucerin, I started applying it 2 times daily (once in the morning and once at night) each time I did the regimen. That was when my skin started clearing. I don't know if it was because of this or because I started using the Cetaphil Bar rather than the Purpose Bar, but I saw the results that I had been expecting before the regimen, and I cleared up completely (for a little while). I still have had a few breakouts since (I'm on month 3) but it still was FAR better than in the first 2 months. I did get like 4 cysts tho which was weird once I started using the Eucerin, don't know if I can attribute this to it, but it was strange cuz they were the first cysts I had ever had. Could've been something else, but they cleared up fast once I popped them with a pin (after they came to somewhat of a head). Man I've never seen so much pus in my life!  :-# Anyways, my suggestions would be to:

1. Buy Eucerin Renewal w/SPF 15. It looks like this, but with light blue coloring where it's peach, and it says RENEWAL on it where this one says PROTECTIVE: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...BUY-PLST-0-SRCH

You could buy it there or at Rite Aid if you're in the US

2. Do the regimen 2 times daily, rather than just once daily and then spot treatment the other time. This'll be more effective.  

3. Moisturize twice daily! It'll help a bunch and you're skin won't be dry ever.  

4. Use the Eucerin. It's an excellent moisturizer (my face NEVER gets dry spots as opposed to my skin always flaking on the Neutrogena moisturizer I was using before), plus it has an Alpha Hydroxy Acid in it, which makes your face look great!

5. Try the Cetaphil Bar if you aren't satisfied with your current cleanser. It's a bit drying, but it lathers great and doesn't contain Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate (whichever one is the bad one) like the Cetaphil Cleanser thing that's not a bar does.  

Hope this helped!

haha I freaked out for a second cuz I remembered mine didn't say "face" on it, so I thought it was for the whole body for a second. Mine looks similar to that, but says "Sensitive Facial Skin" where that one says "Face," and in a different font (smaller and not cursive-y). The cap is more light blue in real life also. But yeah, I'm sure that's the exact same thing. Go for it, it's a great moisturizer, and it makes your skin look awesome.

hey everyone...i stopped the regimen beacuse i got sick and tired of my face being DRY and the moisturizer not help at all and my make up stinging and burning when i put it on over dry skin...my make up does a better job of covering anyways....well, i hope it works for all of u...but remember that over dry skin causes more acne (thats what my derm said)

hey everyone...i stopped the regimen beacuse i got sick and tired of my face being DRY and the moisturizer not helping at all and my make up stinging and burning when i put it on over dry skin...my make up does a better job of covering anyways....well, i hope it works for all of u...but remember that over dry skin causes more acne (thats what my derm said)

Tinkerbell, did you try Eucerin Renewal. It seriously is far superior to other moisturizers in moisturizing.

no, i havent tried it...what does the bottle look like ?

im not gonna apply the on-the-spot all over my face anymore...im just gonna spot treat them now...its too drying, i have really sensitive skin so i dont think i can tolerate it...its really broke out right now and i havent been wearing make up for 2 days so i dont think its the make up, but im also on my period right now adn that may be 1 prob....who knows...i hate not knowing the cause !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ](*,)

i experience the same thing. i was so miserably dry i wanted to give up and to top it all i broke out and had more zits than when i started. what i did was i stopped the bp for a few days, when my skin felt normal again i started the regimen. i use cetaphil bar, washing my face very gently, wait 10 mins, put a pea size bp for my whole face (i use dans bp gel -- excellent) make sure to rub very gently until the skin absorbs it then another 10 mins i put on just enough moisturizer ( i use eucerin sensitive skin lotion spf 30 -- best ive ever tried) spread over skin very gently as to not clump it up (it will clump if you put too much). This way solved all my drying problems, no flaking and very minimal tightness. im on the regimen for only a month so im still slowly ramping up the bp (im getting there) and i noticed that by lowering the irritation my pimples heal faster.