Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
greenearth

birth control pills work!

Hi Everyone,

Just a note to tell you my experience with various acne medications; the only one that has helped me at all is Demulen (Zovia is the generic), which is a low-androgen (male hormone) birth control pill. This medication has no serious side effects for me and it cleared up my severe acne completely within a few months. When you first take it you might have worse acne for the first month but then it should completely clear. Beware of high-androgen birth control pills. I definitely recommend Demulen/Zovia. The other thing that significantly helped my acne was cutting out red meat and dairy fat.

Hi Everyone,

Just a note to tell you my experience with various acne medications; the only one that has helped me at all is Demulen (Zovia is the generic), which is a low-androgen (male hormone) birth control pill. This medication has no serious side effects for me and it cleared up my severe acne completely within a few months. When you first take it you might have worse acne for the first month but then it should completely clear. Beware of high-androgen birth control pills. I definitely recommend Demulen/Zovia. The other thing that significantly helped my acne was cutting out red meat and dairy fat.

Congrats on being clear. Unfortunately, BCP's affect every woman's body differently and reseraching the androgenic level is not necessarily fail-safe, because it tends to be more about the ratio and balance between hormones and how they react in a woman's body ... Demulen didn't help my acne at all. Such is life.

Congrats on the clear skin :D How bad was your acne before birth control? I'm hoping that Yaz will keep me clear after I take accutane.