Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ragz999

PROACTIV VS DAN KERN

I feel like I might be jumping the gun and jinxing myself, but so far, I've had much better results with the Regimen than with Proactiv. I think it's in part because right now, I'm in a better headspace to actually pay attention to what I'm doing and be deliberate about stuff like this. On the other hand, I can recall being pretty deliberate about Proactiv, so YMMV.

This time around, though, I know to keep fabrics like blue towels away from me when I'm applying the BP or drying off my hands after washing them from applying BP (or really any time when BP might get on the towel) - I've got a few towels from back then that went from lovely light and medium blues to pink from the BP. Or maybe it was the urea used in the formulations, I don't know. But I'm doing my best to keep my clothes from getting bleached.

Another strike for Proactiv is that I took Accutane after I used Proactiv regularly. Accutane, unfortunately, didn't clear everything up (although it did help). Its ineffectiveness might've been because I was not the most consistent when taking it, though, so that probably didn't help. Whoops.

But yeah, since starting DKR, things have been remarkably clear, if a bit sting-y, oily, and red. I'd take that, though, over nasty whiteheads and the occasional cyst, seriously. I've been using the DKR cleanser and BP, and Cetaphil moisturizer. I'd love a moisturizer that didn't leave my skin hellllllllllls of oily, though - I feel kind of like I'm wearing hair wax on my face, only thankfully without the nasty side effects.

I tried Proactiv on two different occasions, a few years apart. Both times my face just got irritated and broke out more. I blame the scrubby cleanser for that. Dan's Regimen works for me, probably in part due to the gentleness of it. But also because Dan tells us how to use BP to get the most out of it; in large amounts. Proactiv recommends a thin layer, which never quite did the job for me.

by the way, in case you haven't seen this, it is from Dan's FAQ section: http://www.acne.org/new/faq.html#proactiv

I used Proactiv for six months straight in 2005 with absolutely no improvement in my acne. I have been on Dan's regimen since December 2005, my acne had cleared up in February 2006, and I've stayed clear ever since with the regimen.

I used Proactiv on & off for several years. Because of the BP, it would help control my acne to a point, but I'd still get big breakouts. I'd also stop using it because my skin would get so dry & irritated. The fact that is was so harsh made it hard for me to keep up with the routine. I'd find myself only using the BP at night since my face would be so dry. I'd get fed up with it & try something else for awhile, but I knew that BP was still my best option of everything I had tried.

When I saw DKR it made sense to me since it had BP also, which I knew was helpful in clearing my acne, but it also was more gentle & included a moisturizer. It's proven to be a winning combo for me as my skin has stayed consistently clear with no dryness so long as I moisturize well. So yes, DKR is better because it is more gentle, effective, & realistic for long term use, IMO.

proactiv has it's pros, and so does dan's

dan's bp is better

proactiv's toner is nice

dan's is cheaper

i never found proactive worked for me, it helped but a lot of things helped...nothing worked...

dkr worked

Proactive worked so well for me when I first got it. I was shocked at how good it cleared me.

However I always had at least one pimple, no matter what – thus I got greedy and wanted completely clear skin…so I tried DKR and I’ve had worse skin of my life ever since! :(

I’m determined for DKR to work, so even though I’m in my 5th month, I’m still sticking to it in hope I will get cleared once and for all.

DKR is WAY cheaper, so that’s a huge plus. But it does take a lot longer, which I wouldn’t care about if it actually worked! :rolleyes: So fingers crossed it will…I’m holding on to those peoples stories who got clear after the 6 month stage.

I don't know why the DKR has made me worse - I have to say currently Proactive was the better, but that’s simply because I associate that time with clear skin and a life without being self-conscious about damn acne, and getting god work.

^Having said that, I don't think I'd try Proactive again, because I feel the DKR has given me moderate and very consistent acne, and Proactive wouldn’t be good enough at dealing with it.