Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JeNNa86

That time of the month

Why is it that beore I start my period my face is extremely clear. Then when I do start I get cysts? The bp doesnt stop them from coming on either. Then 2 wks after my period I will get another one. It never fails, it's like this every month. I just started taking fish oil so maybe that will help regulate my hormones. Is there anything I can do from preventing seeing as the BP can't stop them from coming....

I read somewhere about PCOS maybe I have that?

Would my only option be accutane even though my face is clear until those weeks.

Also, I had been on BC pills from 17-19, I'm 21 now and I realized the BC was making my acne worse so I doubt BC would be an answer but maybe it would work this time?

Hi Jenna,

Most months the Regimen halts my cycle related breakouts, but there are times when one comes through. You can try icing them when you first feel them beginning to emerge, and try doing an AHA spot treatment like Dan recommends.

You might also check out this thread and see if it is something you want to try. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=114587

Thanks Brandy. I've tried the aleve for about 3 months now and it hasnt helped :( I'll try the AHA spot treatment.

Also, I know its important to exfoliate and I have tried AHA and gycolic acid and stuff but those chemicals make my face irritated so I'm using he baby brush method. What are your opinions on this?

Your acne certainly sounds hormonal to some degree, and the answer to hormonal acne is birth control, more or less. You'd need to be on a BCP to get on accutane anyway if you were going to try going down that route, though I don't think many derms will be willing to prescribe accutane for hormonal acne. You might consider going back on a BCP. I don't think fish oil will help regulate your hormones very much and wouldn't count on that to get rid of premenstrual acne, though it might help a little.

HI Jenna! I too am trying to figure out the monthly breakouts. Mine happens the week before my cycle. You might want to jump over to the Adult Acne Board and post this thread. TsunAmi hangs out over there and she has been successful in treating her monthly breakouts. From what I understand she used to get cystic acne during ovulation and she now has beautiful skin. You can also go here http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=145031 and check out her log. She will answer questions there for you also. Just post reply on her log and she will get back to you. Good luck and I hope we find something that works. It sucks to clear up just in time for your cycle to start again. Lorrie

Ive used Neutrogene healthy skin with AHA. I also didn't know accutane didnt help with hormonal acne? It must be hormonal if I get these cysts around my cycle. Is it considered hormonal if I get them not just on my chin and jawline? I sometimes get them on my forehead etc.

Ive used Neutrogene healthy skin with AHA. I also didn't know accutane didnt help with hormonal acne? It must be hormonal if I get these cysts around my cycle. Is it considered hormonal if I get them not just on my chin and jawline? I sometimes get them on my forehead etc.

Hormonal acne is still acne and yes, Accutane could help if your derm felt like you were a candidate for it.