Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mandy Ann

Are these normal cysts?

I have a few cysts on my face that just don't seem right. I've gotten cysts before and usually they are just very inflamed and painful.. but these ones are a little different. One is the size of a quarter and its very squishy and soft.. feels liquidy underneath. I am guilty of picking at it (:silenced:) and when I squeezed, both blood and a liquidy fluid would come out (sometimes no blood and just that strange liquid.) This is the same for my other couple cysts except they are much smaller.. the other one I squeezed and some pus did come out, along with a liquidy substance, but its still very squishy and soft feeling.. not very painful at all :shrug: Is this normal?

I think people either get the really painful hard ones or get these from time to time that just seem like bags of liquid/puss. I had something very similar to this too a few years back. I had 3 large lumps on my face that were like seeping liquid constantly and I didn't know how the hell to get rid of them. I just ended up having to wait it out and let them go crusty and eventually go away after a week or so. They were a nightmare though.

I do remember though that I got them the first time I had Chinese food and then again when I had it a few weeks later although I didn't think it was the actual food and just coincidence. I found out I was allergic to an ingredient (flavouring) in the food. Can you think of anything you have eaten recently that may have caused you to breakout? Maybe these cysts are a result of an allergic reaction?

I think people either get the really painful hard ones or get these from time to time that just seem like bags of liquid/puss. I had something very similar to this too a few years back. I had 3 large lumps on my face that were like seeping liquid constantly and I didn't know how the hell to get rid of them. I just ended up having to wait it out and let them go crusty and eventually go away after a week or so. They were a nightmare though.

I do remember though that I got them the first time I had Chinese food and then again when I had it a few weeks later although I didn't think it was the actual food and just coincidence. I found out I was allergic to an ingredient (flavouring) in the food. Can you think of anything you have eaten recently that may have caused you to breakout? Maybe these cysts are a result of an allergic reaction?

I think MSG (monsodium glutamate) would be the culprit in Mankind's allergy. It's also known to cause migraines in allergic ppl.

Wow i'm going to look up about MSG.. I wonder if I have an allergy to that? I've been getting the most horrible migraines lately, where I could not survive a day without my ibuprofin lol.

I get the same kind of cysts on my face..some painful some not and it seems to take weeks for them to go away. This time, I know it was caused by a hormone imbalance because I had started using a diet pill and now this...ugh! I am hoping to "heal" myself with over the counter meds, but if it doesn't work soon, it's off to the derm for help!

Guest ~Wolfy~
This is the same for my other couple cysts except they are much smaller.. the other one I squeezed and some pus did come out, along with a liquidy substance, but its still very squishy and soft feeling.. not very painful at all :shrug: Is this normal?

well, the accutane will take care of them. but if you are seeing the derm before then, she might be able to do something else.

Guest ~Wolfy~
Yes MSG is evil stuff. Better stay away from it anyway.

i think i have one of these too... it's been on my face like a month already O_O

it feels like there's a little water packet underneath it? and its like a red splotch? and it kinda hurts to squeeze but not as much as usual zits...

Re: msg

The "myth" about msg causing problems is no myth. Msg can cause problems, and I have definite proof.

My husband gets severe reactions from eating foods that contain Msg. In his thirties, his eyes would occasionally swell up, sometimes completely swelling shut. He went to two different allergists who did complete work-ups on him, and could not find any significant allergy to anything.

The eye swelling persisted.

He was even tested for auto-immune disorders such as lupus. Nothing was conclusive.

He noticed that his eyes *always swelled up* the day after eating Miso soup at a Japanese restaurant in town. In the meantime, he did online research about msg. When he went back to that Japanese restaurant, he found that msg was in Miso soup.

His eyes would swell up after eating some flavored Doritoes.

They contain msg.

Canned soup, too. Contains msg. The list goes on.

One website suggested eliminating all msg products from your diet for a couple weeks, then take a day to eat products containing msg. My husband did that, only on the "msg day," he ate just a couple products containing msg. Guess what? Eyes swelled up and shut.

He mainly avoids msg foods now. A couple weeks ago, his eyes swelled up again. He couldn't figure out what he had eaten that had it. "The only thing different I ate was Super Mac (macaroni and cheese mix) for lunch." I searched on the web. Guess what one of the ingredients is? You guessed it!

He had been fine since then, until three days ago. I just looked at him and said, "OK, what did you eat?" "Only what you made me for dinner," was the answer. I knew there was no msg in what I made. "What did you snack on?" "Those crackers over there, wait, let me read the box." Then I heard him say, "Uh oh...."

I know the FDA has approved Msg and says that it doesn't cause reactions. But if you dig further, you will see this is quite controversial. After it was approved, many people became sick and had unusual symptoms that they attributed to MSG. There was talk about it banning it, but that suggestion was struck down because MSG causes people to feel good about what they eat, eat more, thereby buying more food from the manufacturer. It's about money.

Some studies may say that MSG doesn't cause problems, but my husband is living proof that it does.

I'm not trying to say that MSG is what is causing your acne; just responding to the poster who said that studies show that MSG does not cause problems. Any person doing an MSG study should use my husband, in their test group, and then they'd see that it causes problems.

dsal

Guest ~Wolfy~

To be honest, none of the known symptoms of MSG match what your husband experiences, and you haven't done the correct test to prove that MSG does actually cause the symptoms he experiences. You would actually have to do a double blind test with *pure* MSG in a food that does not cause a reaction but masks the taste of MSG to show that.

(Many of the foods you mention contain chemicals that are known to cause those kinds of reactions but aren't MSG.)

mandyanne, i get those to. after i opened one up, same thing happened to me, except there was just this very deep open wound that even when i squeezed it nothing would come out. it was about a CM deep. i put some hydrogen peroxide in there and went outside and got some air and it was fine (scarred but healed) in a week.