Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nikole69

Why are people so against Accutane?

Forgive me if I am ignorant, but I am seeing a lot of people severly affected by their acne, but they haven't tried accutane and I'm wondering why? I do know about the side effects, but aren't the minor ones worth it? I've been on it about 3 times which obviously means the effects didn't last, but it worked for at least a few years each time and when it came back it was milder and I think that if I had of maintained a proper preventative skin care regimen once I was clear, I would have been fine. I have my skin under control now with my version of "the acne cure" book system, but I hate to think how much more I would have suffered had I not taken Accutane.

I think part of the problem for the people on this board anyways, is the small number of people who have serious side effects come on here complaining about how it ruined there lives, scaring accutane hopefuls. The success stories dont have a reason to come back to the board, other than those few good posters trying to help others. I guess part of it could be financial as well, not everyone is covered. I wish I took tane years ago, best decision of my life. Anyone who has moderate acne and is covered, should try and get on it. Clear skin for years is worth a few months of discomfort.

Guest Grow To Overthrow

1. Because they're a member of the minority of users whom experience harsher side-effects.

2. Because they've not used it, but read all the horror stories.

3. Because they're haters, almost addicted to accepting the depressive lives they lead as their destiny.

Forgive me if I am ignorant, but I am seeing a lot of people severly affected by their acne, but they haven't tried accutane and I'm wondering why? I do know about the side effects, but aren't the minor ones worth it? I've been on it about 3 times which obviously means the effects didn't last, but it worked for at least a few years each time and when it came back it was milder and I think that if I had of maintained a proper preventative skin care regimen once I was clear, I would have been fine. I have my skin under control now with my version of "the acne cure" book system, but I hate to think how much more I would have suffered had I not taken Accutane.

I think it's ok for people to be so skeptical about a harsh drug. People in general are trying to be healthier- all natural foods, exercise, etc. Accutane is a drug that may or may not have minor or harsh side effects, bue either way is kind of a "hardcore" drug. I would be a little skeptical about it too, if I didn't know what it was going to do to me, I'm skeptical about anything chemical that I put into my body.

1. Because they're a member of the minority of users whom experience harsher side-effects.

2. Because they've not used it, but read all the horror stories.

3. Because they're haters, almost addicted to accepting the depressive lives they lead as their destiny.

To play devil's advocate...I don't think anyone should really be "for" accutane either.

Like it or not, the drug isn't exactly friendly, it destroys part of your body for cosmetic benefits (and I guess you could link it to emotional benefits too). There's a reason dermatologists won't prescribe it unless they feel they have to.

I'm not against it either (obviously, I'm taking it).

I wouldn't be able to be prescriped tane for my life. I have mild acne - and even if I could get it prescribed, I see no point in taking a harsh drug when milder chemicals (topicals, in my case) contain the problem.

I think for those with moderate to severe acne should definatly consider tane - but it's NOT the miracle drug for all acne ailments.

1) because it makes babies be deformed

2) it makes people off themselves.

those are the main reasons people don't like accutane.

other than that, it's a good drug.

The real reason is because it causes birth defects. That's really why.

I really don't understand what is so hard to understand about the whole 'Look - don't get knocked up for the next six months'; but, apparently, it is a problem for girls. This is, without a doubt, the biggest reason for people being scard of Accutane, why we have iPledge, why Accutane is considered 'scary'.

There are a lot of other 'possible' side-effects, but they are statistically insignificant. That might sound harsh - but take a look at the 'scary' side-effects of plain-ol Birth Control. Everyone is Pro-BirthControl it seems, and girls take it all the time without ever giving any thought to side-effects....

http://www.nbc5.com/health/5476996/detail.html - Here is a study about DEADLY blood clots from birth control pills. Now, if you said to every girl who wanted BC - 'You have to read this book, get these tests, fill out this pledge card, carry it with you, and if you take it, you might die' they'd be scared too.

And look at all of this....

Common Side Effects for Combination Contraceptives

* Weight gain

* Increase or decrease in acne

* Nausea and vomiting (particularly for the first few cycles)

* Dizziness

* Headaches

* Depression

* Vaginal infections

* High blood pressure

* Loss of libido

Less Common Serious Health Complications

* Blood clots in legs, lungs, heart or brain

* Stroke

* Liver tumors (rare)

* Heart attacks

* Gallstones (rare)

* Jaundice (rare)

* Possibly cervical cancer

Look up any drug you can think of; and there are probably some people out there who got REALLY f***ed up by it. What you need to do is look at the rate at which people have those bad side-effects.

Here's some info on the risks of Accutane....

"In the British study, ninety-three per cent of the people taking Accutane reported no long-term side effects. The British researchers reported that two percent suffered muscle aches at follow up, and 5 percent suffered from dry mouth. Fewer than one percent claimed that they had dry eyes and skin and joint pains. Higher doses were not associated with more side effects. The authors concluded that their study showed that isotretinoin is a safe drug with no serious long-term side-effects. However, it causes birth defects when taken during pregnancy.

A study from Israel also shows that Accutane is far safer than many doctors think (4). Many doctors refuse to prescribe Accutane for severe acne because they are afraid that Accutane will damage livers, raise triglyceride levels and cause heart attacks. In this study, none of the patients had liver tests that were abnormal enough to stop treatment. Only 1.5 percent of patients had serum triglyceride levels above 400 mg%, but all continued treatment. Most exciting, only 3.5 percent of patients required a second treatment. "

So yeah - birth defects....

Well, it can be a harsh medication. I get dry skin and joint pain. I've had one nosebleed so far. It's kind of like having a 5-month flu. Accutane works on acne with all the subtlety of a nuclear bomb, and the body receives plenty of "collateral damage".

I only took it last year, when just before I turned 33. I let the scare stories put me off. Plus my GP was never going to refer me to a derm unless I really pushed her and I wasn't ready yet. It was only when my acne got so bad that I couldn't take it anymore that I did alot more research into Accutane. What I realised was:

(1) I would never KNOW how accutane would effect ME until I took the drug

(2) most of the side effects are minor. Some of the more serious ones you can totally avoid (i.e. birth defects)

(3) I could simply stop taking the drug at any time if it wasn't working out for me.

In the end it was great. The side effects were mild and totally worth the end result. I now regret allowing myself to be scared off for so long. I try to convey that to people on the site trying to make that decision for themselves.

Got to admit it is a strong drug... if u do some research then u will feakout too.

My 1st time, i didnt really do any research... so i went throught it thinking its just another antibiotic.

Since its my 5th time... i did done some research here and there... seem kinder bad but i been there done that 4 times already... seem ok with those minor side effects, nothing really serious.

because people have such high expectations of it. Im 2 and a half months in and I think my face still looks like crap, so I've lost a lot of faith in it. I'm hoping it will improve a lot soon though. I dont have many actives, just a face full of red marks, and the redness of my face in general is prominent in places.

This drug better pay off in the end, thats all I can say.

'Tane is drastic, a big gun. To me, it's like trying diet and exercise before opting for lap band surgery. Doesn't matter how effective they said it was, I wanted to try other things before subjecting my body to several months of drugs with side effects.

'Tane is drastic, a big gun. To me, it's like trying diet and exercise before opting for lap band surgery. Doesn't matter how effective they said it was, I wanted to try other things before subjecting my body to several months of drugs with side effects.

this is great thread. i bookmarked it. Im feeling the same as jbhk said . Just never know how it will be until you try it. Maybe it will turn out to be the smartest thing ive done or maybe ill get a serious problem and hate myself for doing it. Ive already been on it for a few weeks now so theres no turing back now.

i've had really bad acne a few yrs ago. and my derm wanted me to go under accutane, but i refused, and i don't regret that decision, at the time. I've had no knowledge of what the drug can do to the body, and on top of that, the horror stories of course.

Now, i'm taking the drug, and my body is handling it well. the only pain in the ass is the dry lips, which i have to constanly apply lip balm. I really don't feel much of a difference in my body....no aches, joints, mood swings, etc, etc....everything is going great, and the best part, my skin is cleared up. i have 5 more months to go...but patience always pays off.

Accutane gives so much hope of achieving clear skin.....and that alone out-weighs anything.

I think peopleare just skeptical about a dug that works so well. I mean, if it produces such amazing results, it must have a whole bunch of side affects or something.

I think peopleare just skeptical about a dug that works so well. I mean, if it produces such amazing results, it must have a whole bunch of side affects or something.

I don't know about being against 'tane, but I also couldn't get it until I found insurance that would cover it. Heck, I was too anxious and went on my first derm visit towards the end of last year. I hadn't met my deductible for last year, and between last year and this year's deductible, my final bill will come up to around $750 for derm visits and blood testing out of my pocket. Thankfully, the pills themselves are covered and will cost me all but $25 for five months of treatment. (Cost the insurance company $360 per month = $1800 total) Imagine covering this all out of pocket just because Accutane is such a wonder drug! Yeah, right!

Imagine covering this all out of pocket just because Accutane is such a wonder drug! Yeah, right!

are you clear now??? im paying alot to....