Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lameness

Perfect skin on the first day of my period.

I've noticed for the past year or two that my skin is always very, very clear as well as not being oily or dry on the FIRST day of my period. Can anyone offer reasons why this happens to me? Does anyone else experience this too?

my acne usually blows up the week RIGHT before my period

as soon as i get my period though, it all goes away and my clearest skin is always during the first few days of my period.

Guest vegmom02

Your hormone levels drop to their lowest when you get your period, which explains why your face clears up. As your period comes to an end, your hormone levels begin to rise for the next cycle, which can start up the acne again. As for breakouts right before your period...that is most likely due, again, to the change in hormone levels, as your estrogen drops in order for menstruation to begin. Anytime there is a change in hormones, we can experience acne. This is why some people try BC, with the hopes that with less fluctuations of the hormones, there will be less acne. But for some people, their acne gets worse, because the BC may have higher hormone levels in them than what their body would have. This is why each person responds differently to BC.

All of the info I provided is from many years of both my own personal experience and lots of time spent researching.

Your hormone levels drop to their lowest when you get your period, which explains why your face clears up. As your period comes to an end, your hormone levels begin to rise for the next cycle, which can start up the acne again. As for breakouts right before your period...that is most likely due, again, to the change in hormone levels, as your estrogen drops in order for menstruation to begin. Anytime there is a change in hormones, we can experience acne. This is why some people try BC, with the hopes that with less fluctuations of the hormones, there will be less acne. But for some people, their acne gets worse, because the BC may have higher hormone levels in them than what their body would have. This is why each person responds differently to BC.

All of the info I provided is from many years of both my own personal experience and lots of time spent researching.

Okay, that makes a lot of sense. Thank you.

Okay, that makes a lot of sense. Thank you.

Yeah...it gets really bright and pretty which iam about to get it in a few days, and im breaking out. Its like all that work getting it clear and then my period comes and screws up everything. But im taking ortho tricyclen lo and still i break out. Anyone have a treatment to make it least likely to happen?