Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
peachesncream

uv radiation and sebum

I was doing some research on the effects of uv on the sebacious glands since my acne became very violent last summer, i know that increased humidity causes the follicle to swell and increases the probabililty of the follicle collapsing and therefore creating a plug, especially in acne-prone people (people with predisposition to sticky cells lining sebacious gland/ irregular horomonal input etc) but uv waves themselves stimulate the sebacious gland, in addition to that, uv waves also oxidize the sebum, making it comedogenic...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...l=pubmed_docsum

and

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...t_uids=11872409

so i guess avoid humid conditions and wear sunscreen (preferably powdered zinc oxide, i dont trust the non-comedogenic labels on any facial product :snooty: ....), i read in a post that heat increases the fluidity of sebum, making it less likely to clog pores, it's the uv radioation that oxidizes it though, not the heat.

its impossible to avoid humid conditions unless you live in the midwest where there is none. unfortunately for those who in in New England well we basically have awful summers with incredible amts of humidity. But, my acne never ever ever worsens in the summer even tho I tan and live in 95degree weather and the humidity makes it like 110. My acne actually gets worse in the winter time when the air is incredibly dry, that is when I notice breakouts not in the summer or spring.

De-humidifier....

get one...i used to pick up a gallon and a half of water in my basement in 2 hours...back in Michigan.

They go for under $100 EASILY and they last practically forever...and yes..they dramatically take water out of the air.

its somewhat humid around my area

but its pretty dry in the winter....

it sucks so much that acne-bearers can't even suntan without worrying about acne...

Guest ~Wolfy~
its somewhat humid around my area

but its pretty dry in the winter....

it sucks so much that acne-bearers can't even suntan without worrying about acne...

i dont see how UV ray clear acne. that is not true at all. Because when you use bp you have to wear sunscreen when you go outside. UV rays may clear some people with acne but it will leave a nice bright red mark...trust me...i had that problem before.

Guest ~Wolfy~
i dont see how UV ray clear acne. that is not true at all. Because when you use bp you have to wear sunscreen when you go outside. UV rays may clear some people with acne but it will leave a nice bright red mark...trust me...i had that problem before.