Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Before I start I wanted to say that Dan is AWESOME and I am not trying to insult him in any way, I was clear for 7 months on his regimen :).

Anyway this is just MY experience with DKR and I am just wondering if anyone else experienced this... I stopped the regimen for one reason only... I was SERIOUSLY getting wrinkles from it, my skin had gotten SO dry, no matter how much moisturizer I put on... no matter how little BP I put on my face was just SO dry, it felt like it had turned into one big skin coloured scab :(. And I started waking up with these lines on my face... like you know when you sleep on one side your skin kind pushes up around your eye? Well I would wake up with this huge crease, line thing under my eye and it seriously would not go away... every night I would wake up and it would be worse...

I couldnt smile without feeling like I was getting a zillion wrinkles either. And if I smiled really big I would seriously get a line or "wrinkle" from my eye all the way to my hair line, it would STAY THERE FOR DAYS. Keep in mind I was only 20 years old when this was happening. Anyway I was SO depressed about it i had to stop the regimen, I stopped in June 2006... the wrinkles stayed... :( I didnt know what to do, I fell into a deep depression, I stayed in the whole summer and didnt even want to see the sun.

Now almost a year later I still have that line around my eye from sleeping... my skin feels better now but I broke out like CRAZY after I quit the regimen so I have alot of scars and red marks. This experience has scared me alot and has literally changed me as a person because I was SO depressed and to this day I am afraid to smile. I dont mean to talk down about the regimen, but this is what happened to me and it was just really, really bad and I guess I just wanted to find out if anyone else went through this or is going through this... Maybe it happened to me because of my skin type or maybe I was using too much BP... I dont know... :(:(:( any thoughts?

I think moisturisation is the key. I had a similar experience even though i was using tons of moisturiser. Now i've changed my moisturiser and things have improved. If only i was using it when i first started the dkr. btw i use eucerin dry skin face cream from the uk.

Guest WhiteWater
Before I start I wanted to say that Dan is AWESOME and I am not trying to insult him in any way, I was clear for 7 months on his regimen :).

Anyway this is just MY experience with DKR and I am just wondering if anyone else experienced this... I stopped the regimen for one reason only... I was SERIOUSLY getting wrinkles from it, my skin had gotten SO dry, no matter how much moisturizer I put on... no matter how little BP I put on my face was just SO dry, it felt like it had turned into one big skin coloured scab :(. And I started waking up with these lines on my face... like you know when you sleep on one side your skin kind pushes up around your eye? Well I would wake up with this huge crease, line thing under my eye and it seriously would not go away... every night I would wake up and it would be worse...

I couldnt smile without feeling like I was getting a zillion wrinkles either. And if I smiled really big I would seriously get a line or "wrinkle" from my eye all the way to my hair line, it would STAY THERE FOR DAYS. Keep in mind I was only 20 years old when this was happening. Anyway I was SO depressed about it i had to stop the regimen, I stopped in June 2006... the wrinkles stayed... :( I didnt know what to do, I fell into a deep depression, I stayed in the whole summer and didnt even want to see the sun.

Now almost a year later I still have that line around my eye from sleeping... my skin feels better now but I broke out like CRAZY after I quit the regimen so I have alot of scars and red marks. This experience has scared me alot and has literally changed me as a person because I was SO depressed and to this day I am afraid to smile. I dont mean to talk down about the regimen, but this is what happened to me and it was just really, really bad and I guess I just wanted to find out if anyone else went through this or is going through this... Maybe it happened to me because of my skin type or maybe I was using too much BP... I dont know... :(:(:( any thoughts?

Hello,

I had the same experience when I tried out the DKR for about 2 months. The wrinkles weren't as bad as what you described since I didn't use BP for as long as you but I just could not stand the severe dryness and wrinkles. I never even managed to get to the full amount of BP, it was THAT uncomfortable. Right before I decided to quit I felt like I could not even smile. And yes, I did moisturize always. Maybe it has something to do with our winters. I always wondered about the weather where Dan lives (I think he is from San Fransisco?) and the fact that the regimen needs to be adjusted for those who have cold canadian winters. Anyway, I do not do the DKR anymore because I have found BHA to be more suited to my type of acne, but just wanted to share that you are not alone. Also, with time my skin has normalized itself, BHA use also helps to rejuvenate since it exfoilates the skin.

When I started the regimen I started to get wrinkles and creases because my skin got so dry. But I stopped it for like a week + lowered the amount of bp i used + put on a crapload of moisturizer and they went away.

Im sorry to here that your wrinkles have stayed, maybe if your skin is still dry try putting a lot of moisturizer on.

My skin is also very dry (I think 4 courses of Accutane helped with that). Although I am a lot older than you, I too have wrinkles. I use 100% jojoba oil and Tri-Aktiline which help a bit. Rule #1...sunscreen and a hat this summer...trust me.

sorry to hear youve had that experience, i can honestly say ive never had any problems with wrinkles, i mean, i have some from smiling and expression lines of course, but theyre just there because i smile a lot and i happen to love those, but i havent really noticed BP causing anything else. I mean, i only use a small amount and i use more moisturizer than BP on some days, so that might be it.

Thanks for all the replies guys, it makes me feel a little better to know I am not the only one that suffered... it seems that when most people upped the moisturizer the wrinkles went away, but his didnt happen with me... I was thinking of using glycolic acid peels to help with the wrinkles and scaring... I ordered some off of Pure Deming... hopefully I can get my skin back to it's normal self :(.

Hello,

I had the same experience when I tried out the DKR for about 2 months. The wrinkles weren't as bad as what you described since I didn't use BP for as long as you but I just could not stand the severe dryness and wrinkles. I never even managed to get to the full amount of BP, it was THAT uncomfortable. Right before I decided to quit I felt like I could not even smile. And yes, I did moisturize always. Maybe it has something to do with our winters. I always wondered about the weather where Dan lives (I think he is from San Fransisco?) and the fact that the regimen needs to be adjusted for those who have cold canadian winters. Anyway, I do not do the DKR anymore because I have found BHA to be more suited to my type of acne, but just wanted to share that you are not alone. Also, with time my skin has normalized itself, BHA use also helps to rejuvenate since it exfoilates the skin.

I think some skin types just cannot handle all the BP. I pretty much had the exact same experience. ALthough the BP cleared most of the active acne, I developed pretty defined "wrinkles" in my forehead, "smile lines" and underneath my eyes. Also, the dryness caused my pores to clog at an insane rate no matter how much of the almighty EUcerin I slathered on. For me, the regmimen was like one step forward, three steps back as far as skin quality. I suppose due to the dryness and related irritation, the regimen was never able to clear me. Oh well, unfortunately there will probably never be a be-all, end-all treatment that will work for everyone. We all have to find our own way.

You mention about it happening around and under your eyes – how far up did you apply the BP? Right up to the eyelid? Do you get acne right under the eye or was it more a ‘just in case’ thing? I personally don’t put any products other than moisturiser any where near my eyes.

I didn’t get acne under my eyes, but when I started the regimen for some reason I did the full face BP treatment (I don’t think I read the instructions correctly) and I ended up with really bad wrinkles around my eyes too. They are slowly decreasing in size though.

Also is your skin naturally dry or oily? That could have something to do with it!?

You mention about it happening around and under your eyes – how far up did you apply the BP? Right up to the eyelid? Do you get acne right under the eye or was it more a ‘just in case’ thing? I personally don’t put any products other than moisturiser any where near my eyes.

I didn’t get acne under my eyes, but when I started the regimen for some reason I did the full face BP treatment (I don’t think I read the instructions correctly) and I ended up with really bad wrinkles around my eyes too. They are slowly decreasing in size though.

Also is your skin naturally dry or oily? That could have something to do with it!?

HA! When i posted a similar thread a couple weeks ago I was ripped to shreds by pro-BP people telling me it was my fault that I was getting wrinkles because I wasn't moisturizing enough. SCREW THAT!! I spent half my day lathering friggin moisturizer on my face! It was impossible not to get BP near my eyes because there was just so much you had to put on! It made my eye area really red and itchy, it gave me wrinkly skin making me look like I'd been a smoker since age 5, and it burned like none other in that area . I got pronounced wrinkles all over my face because of it too, no matter how much moisturizer I put on. Luckily I gave up on the regimen after a month of deciding I was seeing minimal results and my skin quality was for shit, so the wrinkles quickly went away after I stopped. I've since realized the answer to my acne problem isn't at the bottom of a BP tube.

You mention about it happening around and under your eyes â€â€œ how far up did you apply the BP? Right up to the eyelid? Do you get acne right under the eye or was it more a ‘just in case’ thing? I personally don’t put any products other than moisturiser any where near my eyes.

The weird thing is that I also noticed wrinkles underneath my eyes and I was very careful to keep the bp away from the eyes. Also, as Dan suggests, being careful not to spread bp up onto that area when putting on moisturizer... but it still happened! I even went so far as to wash my hands, moisturize under my eyes, then moisturize seperately the rest of my BP'd face but I still just couldn't handle the effects.

Well what I meant by giving the massive quantity of BP as a reason for getting it in my eyes, was the fact that its really hard not to get it in your eyes when you have to spread a copious amount of bp all over your face. I don't see how my statement was random or unrelated seeing as we are talking about wrinkles from BP and that was the whole point of my post, the noticable wrinkles all around my eyes and all over my face, but that's ok. Me sharing my personal experience might not have been meant to give advice or "help" as you say, but just thought I would comment considering I obviously wasn't the only one to notice this lame side effect. . I wish everyone else who uses BP lots of luck, but this side effect made me search for something else. That's all.

From Dan's FAQ: http://www.acne.org/faq.html#wrinkles

Most of the "wrinkling" you are seeing (unless you are old, of course) is probably due to dehydrated skin. This is one of the reasons why a good hydrating moisturizer is key. Some of us have even tried Vaseline and it's not too bad actually (for night time use). You might put a thin layer of vaseline around your eyes.

From Dan's FAQ: http://www.acne.org/faq.html#wrinkles

Most of the "wrinkling" you are seeing (unless you are old, of course) is probably due to dehydrated skin. This is one of the reasons why a good hydrating moisturizer is key. Some of us have even tried Vaseline and it's not too bad actually (for night time use). You might put a thin layer of vaseline around your eyes.

The only thing with that informationis that it says the wrinkles are temporary, but for me they stayed :(. I use emu oila round my eyes now, :) it works well.

:strongsad:

oh my GOD,,

I am 24 years old and now I have wrinkles on my forhead,,,

I am on the regimen for one and a half month only, and the wrinkles appeared and getting worse.

I was wondering of three reasons: DKR regimen, weight lifting, or expousing to sun more than ever.. however, It looks like It is from the regimen,,

I only have mild acne, so I dont think I will substitute it with wrinkles,,

I really dont know what to do

:(

To all of you who have experienced wrinkles on DKR I would strenuously suggest trying Jojoba oil!!!! That is, IF you want to continue with the Regimen. I have naturally SUPER oily skin, and the BP even dried out MY skin (which I thought was impossible) and made it flaky and itchy. So I can only imagine what it would do to someone whose skin was naturally normal or dry. I also found that moisturizing, even with really strong, thick, hydrating moisturizers did not help. So I tried the jojoba oil I've heard all these people talking about :dance: and I must say it was AWESOME. It is just like your skin's natural oil, so I think it directly replaces all the natural moisture the BP is taking away. I apply 5 drops of it right after cleansing, while my skin is still wet. Just rub it in and then pat your face dry with a towel. Your face should be slightly shiny and feel soft and hydrated. Then apply BP. I find that the jojoba oil is SO effective that I don't even need to use a moisturizer after applying BP.

Even if you have decided to discontinue DKR, try the jojoba oil to replenish your skin's moisture levels. You can get it at Vitamin World, GNC, or the Vitamin Shoppe for about $12 (all of these stores have websites, I think). I could not do the regimen without it.

Also, if all else has failed and you're dealing with these wrinkles, I am sure there are ways to restore your youthful skin!! Ask your dermatologist or, if you don't want to go to a dr., go to your local Sephora, Bloomingdales, or Macy's and ask them what they recommend. There are tons of really effective OTC exfoliants (like BHA), and rhetinol creams that speed up cell turnover (Green Cream is expensive but AMAZING--if it can make a 65 year old look 20 years younger, I know it will help you 20-somethings!!).

Best of luck and don't give up!

this kinda scares me... im 15 and i already heard that im getting wrinkly forehead since i started the regiment 2 1/2 weeks ago...

im hoping that my AHA moisturizer help and stuff... dont wanna look old already!

this kinda scares me... im 15 and i already heard that im getting wrinkly forehead since i started the regiment 2 1/2 weeks ago...

im hoping that my AHA moisturizer help and stuff... dont wanna look old already!

Don't be misinformed: you can't cause permanent wrinkles from BP use so don't worry about it. You can cause permanent ones from sun damage, but not from BP. Sun damage wrinkles are the ones you need to worry about.

The BP "wrinkles" are caused by dryness and are temporary. That is, they will last only as long as your skin is dehydrated. You would get the same "wrinkles" from anything that dries out your skin. That doesn't mean that they won't last longer than you like, but you can help alleviate them with a good moisturizer. When I started the regimen, I got these "wrinkles", too. They went away in time with adequate moisturizing: in my case, jojoba.

Cam >B)

:doh: Be careful!

Don't be misinformed: you can't cause permanent wrinkles from BP use so don't worry about it. You can cause permanent ones from sun damage, but not from BP. Sun damage wrinkles are the ones you need to worry about.

The BP "wrinkles" are caused by dryness and are temporary. That is, they will last only as long as your skin is dehydrated. You would get the same "wrinkles" from anything that dries out your skin. That doesn't mean that they won't last longer than you like, but you can help alleviate them with a good moisturizer. When I started the regimen, I got these "wrinkles", too. They went away in time with adequate moisturizing: in my case, jojoba.

Cam >B)

:doh: Be careful!

hey tdot, how long have you been using BP that caused your wrinkles?

and for mine, it seems like that 'wrinkles' under my eyes are layers of dead skin cells not ready to be shed... (i didnt think it was wrinkle either until someone told me)

so im thinkin that the dead skin cells will shed itself sooner or later

hey tdot, how long have you been using BP that caused your wrinkles?

and for mine, it seems like that 'wrinkles' under my eyes are layers of dead skin cells not ready to be shed... (i didnt think it was wrinkle either until someone told me)

so im thinkin that the dead skin cells will shed itself sooner or later