Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FollowMe

Is this the purge?

I started Dans regimen 3 days ago and it seems when I get out of the shower and look closely all the little pimples that sit under my skin are coming out. I even pushed my tongue really hard against the inside of my cheek and it pushed a bunch of small blackheads out. I guess this is good??? It seems to be making all the crap under my skin push its way out without me having to squeeze it out.

My face was kinda red today, and had this matte tight feel to it and it feels cleaner than normal. So what's this I read about BP causing skin cancer???

Guest Pieces Mended

Purging...yes, probably.

And as for BP causing skin cancer? Everything now causes cancer FFS, you have to take a look at the credibility of your sources!

I read it on one of these forum post....I am sure it is far from the truth. Day 5 and I just showered and my skin is feeling kinda leathery.....real tight and a deep shade of red. I feel like the marlboro man. I have had quite a few blackheads or those little white hard plugs push their way out. So far I'm sticking with the program.

I do not think there is such thing as a "purge." I've been on the regimen for almost a year now and it does take a while for your skin to get used to it. Even after 6 months of the regimen, my skin was flaky and felt like crap if I didn't moisturize it. If I do not moisturize now, my skin still feels smooth and no flakes, but of course I still moisturize.

So what's this I read about BP causing skin cancer???

Quote from Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzoyl_peroxide]

"When applied to skin benzoyl peroxide has been shown to induce cancer, but only when used at 100% concentrations; it has not been shown to do this at the far lower concentrations used for treating acne, and at lower concentrations benzoyl peroxide has been found not to be mutagenic or carcinogenic."

So what's this I read about BP causing skin cancer???

Quote from Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzoyl_peroxide]

"When applied to skin benzoyl peroxide has been shown to induce cancer, but only when used at 100% concentrations; it has not been shown to do this at the far lower concentrations used for treating acne, and at lower concentrations benzoyl peroxide has been found not to be mutagenic or carcinogenic."

More precisely, BP has been show in research done on SENCAR mice (that is, mice specially bred to be sensitive to carcinogenesis) to promote tumors after they were induced using other things like lots of UV exposure or other chemicals. BP did not cause the tumors, but rather helped them to develop after something else initiated them--and this was with using high concentrations of BP on mouse backs. There has not been one single documented instance of tumors or cancer or anything from BP in humans in its rather long history of use against acne compared to most other treatments. Can I guarantee that BP is perfectly safe and that no harm can come from its long-term use? No. But given its long history of use in humans without caner, that derms continue to prescribe it in higher concentrations than I ever use to patients without even telling them how much to apply, the widespread use of Proactiv in the last decade in the US and lack of concern over the BP in that system (it's even marketed for long-term use, not like that's a gold star of safety, but still), the fact that I use a broad-spectrum sunscreen every day and stay out of the sun in the summer, the increasing inclusion of cancer-fighting antioxidants in moisturizers...I'm not really concerned about getting cancer from using BP until my acne wanes.